The Student Room Group

Help needed on grammar and puncutaion for letter (URGENT!)

I'm writing a letter to a school and need to know which of the following extract from it is correct in terms of grammar and punctuation

1) I’m writing to let you know that although my form tutor has agreed to provide a reference, it has already been over 15 working days since it was requested by the College.

or

2) I’m writing to let you know that although my form tutor has agreed to provide a reference, it has already been over 15 working days, since it was requested by the College.

(the difference is that one has a comma before the word 'since' and one doesn't, which one makes sense/is correct?)
1) I’m writing to let you know that although my form tutor has agreed to provide a reference, it has already been over 15 working days since it was requested by the College.
or
2) I’m writing to let you know that although my form tutor has agreed to provide a reference, it has already been over 15 working days, since it was requested by the College.
(the difference is that one has a comma before the word 'since' and one doesn't, which one makes sense/is correct?)

I would say both are incorrect. It should be:
I’m writing to let you know that, although my form tutor has agreed to provide a reference, it has already been over 15 working days since it was requested by the College.
Reply 2
Original post by Baza2002
or

I’m writing to let you know that, although my form tutor has agreed to provide a reference, it has already been over 15 working days since it was requested by the College.

omg that makes more sense, thank you so much!
Original post by Kiko M
omg that makes more sense, thank you so much!

It's fine. Could you give me any revision tips (like how to force myself to revise) because I keep procrastinating. I listen and work extremely hard in class and extra revision sessions after school but by the time i've done my homework i don't have the energy to revise so i just leave it. I know if i keep doing this, i won't get the grades i want and need
Reply 4
or

Wait, I have another question if you don't mind ;-;

how would you correct the following sentence?

In concern, I have posted a copy of my Year 10 School Report as advised on the College website.
Original post by Kiko M
Wait, I have another question if you don't mind ;-;

how would you correct the following sentence?

In concern, I have posted a copy of my Year 10 School Report as advised on the College website.

I would remove the 'in concern' and put:

As advised on the college website, I have posted a copy of my Year 10 school report
Reply 6
It's fine. Could you give me any revision tips (like how to force myself to revise) because I keep procrastinating. I listen and work extremely hard in class and extra revision sessions after school but by the time i've done my homework i don't have the energy to revise so i just leave it. I know if i keep doing this, i won't get the grades i want and need

I don't know if this will help but one of the ways I revise is by making my notes look colorful and pretty to look at. Basically by having things like cute stationary and notebooks it makes me want to use them to create notes that look just as pretty.

I also put up reminders on my phone and stuff e.g.

"Do you think you'll get accepted with these grades"
"Other people are working twice as hard as you right now"
"Do you want to work at KFC for the rest of your life"

You say you don't have the energy? Could that be because of the amount of sleep you're getting? Try to get at least 7-8 hours if you aren't, trust me you will feel much better!

Also you can create revision time tables with considerable breaks in between (15 mins perhaps) and set yourself targets everyday like

"I will work thorugh this maths paper today"

"I will understand how to rearrange equations today"

I'm trying to think of more...

What are you trying to achieve by studying, motivate yourself by reminding yourself of the end goal and how happy and acomplished you will feel after reaching that

These are things that help me, sorry if they were not particularly helpful for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending