The Student Room Group

What HNC can I do which will get me into 2nd year of Adult Nursing at UWS?

I have applied for Adult Nursing at UWS to start in Sep 2018, I am keeping my option open though in case I do not get a place.

I am looking to see if there are any HNC Courses that will get me into 2nd year of Adult Nursing?

Thanks
Your best bet would be HNC Care and Administrative Pratice but to get into year two you need to do a crazy amount of hours. I mean I only need to do 15 a week for to get into first year. It works out to around 330 hour over the whole years but it's double for year two I think and I struggle with just the fifteen. It's really hard work.
Reply 2
Original post by Kirsten1026
Your best bet would be HNC Care and Administrative Pratice but to get into year two you need to do a crazy amount of hours. I mean I only need to do 15 a week for to get into first year. It works out to around 330 hour over the whole years but it's double for year two I think and I struggle with just the fifteen. It's really hard work.

Thanks Kirsten, so would that be approx. 30hrs per week of practical placement as well as your study days in college? I couldn't afford to do 1 year of college then 3 years of uni as I would be 33 when I graduate so I would prefer to do it in a short a space as possible.
Original post by sjne10
Thanks Kirsten, so would that be approx. 30hrs per week of practical placement as well as your study days in college? I couldn't afford to do 1 year of college then 3 years of uni as I would be 33 when I graduate so I would prefer to do it in a short a space as possible.

What difference would being 32 make? I was 33 when I graduated from my course and it's not held me back at all.
Original post by sjne10

I know how you feel, I whinge about the fact I'll be 28 when I graduate but if you feel capable to do that then go for it! We had the option if he wanted to go for year 2 entry but no danger could I do it. Far too much stress just the 330 hours.
Reply 5
Original post by moonkatt
What difference would being 32 make? I was 33 when I graduated from my course and it's not held me back at all.

It's just so as I am able to get a job and buy a house 1 year sooner and I would rather only be student for 3 years rather than the 4 :smile:
UWS only take 2 students from each partner college for 2nd year entry and it’s extremely competitive. There were 80 students in my HNC year and only 4 for put forward for interview with 2 gaining places. I articulated to 2nd year at GCU from the HNC and there were 180 applicants for 25 places. So again GCU is very competitive too. Even getting a place in the HNC course can be hard in he first place so just be aware of all that. Articulation is not for everyone it’s hard going and involves a lot of blood sweat and tears. That said of course it’s possible to get 2nd year entry, but you shouldn’t let it put you off doing nursing if you need to do the HNC then go into 1st year. I’m 35 and by no means the oldest to have articulated so your age really doesn’t make a difference doing that extra year if you need to.
Reply 7
Original post by LynetteMc
UWS only take 2 students from each partner college for 2nd year entry and it’s extremely competitive. There were 80 students in my HNC year and only 4 for put forward for interview with 2 gaining places. I articulated to 2nd year at GCU from the HNC and there were 180 applicants for 25 places. So again GCU is very competitive too. Even getting a place in the HNC course can be hard in he first place so just be aware of all that. Articulation is not for everyone it’s hard going and involves a lot of blood sweat and tears. That said of course it’s possible to get 2nd year entry, but you shouldn’t let it put you off doing nursing if you need to do the HNC then go into 1st year. I’m 35 and by no means the oldest to have articulated so your age really doesn’t make a difference doing that extra year if you need to.

Thanks Lynette, appreciated. I know everyone has said that to me about starting the course aged 29! I just kick myself for not starting sooner. The college option is a back up in case I don't get in to uni but it good to know how others have got on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending