The Student Room Group

Will my laptop survive? (mac)

Sorry to be another person of "hey should I buy a new computer?", however I don't have much idea about laptops as my current Macbook Pro I got was back in early 2014 and has been my only proper personal laptop that I've had.

My parents have offered to buy me a new Macbook Pro before the start of Uni (possibly buying the 2018 update as I've heard the 2017 model has had problems), but I have suggested maybe updating the hardware in it so that it will hold out til the end of my undergrad degree.

The current specs of the laptop:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2014)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

In terms of what I have on the laptop / use it for, I don't really play games or have anything like that on it, but I do use Photoshop and Logic Pro X to make music and whatnot, and at times it sounds like my computer is about to brick itself processing things, but hasn't yet and has been quite reliable so far.

So is it worth spending £1500 for a new Macbook Pro for the start of uni, or will my current laptop be fine for the next 4 years (I say this as I would rather keep the same laptop over the length of the course so I can collate and keep notes and not have to worry about transferring files).

Thanks for the help, as genuinely unsure!
I would think your current one would last your course as I have the same specs just on a 2013 model and I’m planning on keeping it. Unless you’ve noticed any hardware issues I wouldn’t worry but I will advise you get a backup drive and connect to time machine so you will always have a good recent backup if it was to fail the transferring files over to the new one should be painless as you can just restore from backup during system setup.
An alternative option for hassle free note storage would be to use something like OneNote or Evernote as your notes are all stored in the cloud as well as locally.
The other thing to consider is the amount of dongles/adapters you will need to purchase for the 2017/8 model unless everything you need is usb C already which I doubt is the case especially if you do music as the equipment used may not support the newer technologies.
Personal preference I guess!

I got my laptop in 2015, and am also getting a new one in 2018 to last me the duration of university. However I don’t doubt that my MacBook currently probably would last the 3 years of my degree.

I think, it’ll last if you’re careful. Barring any accidents.
Cheers for the replies so far, @Fresher18 I didn't realise they got rid of half the ports on the new Macs! :angry:

It's not exactly that they're "offering", it's more of a here's a couple thousand you can spend it how you wish (on a new Macbook or go travelling before the start of Uni). That's a bit of my problem too, a bit too stingy to buy a new one, but it is true what you said, it could break down on me as soon as I get to Uni and don't think the parents will be impressed. :h:
Original post by lsfarquharson
Cheers for the replies so far, @Fresher18 I didn't realise they got rid of half the ports on the new Macs! :angry:

It's not exactly that they're "offering", it's more of a here's a couple thousand you can spend it how you wish (on a new Macbook or go travelling before the start of Uni). That's a bit of my problem too, a bit too stingy to buy a new one, but it is true what you said, it could break down on me as soon as I get to Uni and don't think the parents will be impressed. :h:

I’ve had mine since 2012 and it’s still great, no intention of replacing it any time soon. Yours should last a few more years, go traveling instead! :biggrin:

If you’re concerned about reliability, the MacBook should be putting your documents in iCloud automatically, and you should make a time machine backup regularly - get an external hard drive for this.
Sorry to be another person of "hey should I buy a new computer?", however I don't have much idea about laptops as my current Macbook Pro I got was back in early 2014 and has been my only proper personal laptop that I've had.

My parents have offered to buy me a new Macbook Pro before the start of Uni (possibly buying the 2018 update as I've heard the 2017 model has had problems), but I have suggested maybe updating the hardware in it so that it will hold out til the end of my undergrad degree.

2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

In terms of what I have on the laptop / use it for, I don't really play games or have anything like that on it, but I do use Photoshop and Logic Pro X to make music and whatnot, and at times it sounds like my computer is about to brick itself processing things, but hasn't yet and has been quite reliable so far.

So is it worth spending £1500 for a new Macbook Pro for the start of uni, or will my current laptop be fine for the next 4 years (I say this as I would rather keep the same laptop over the length of the course so I can collate and keep notes and not have to worry about transferring files).

Your parents have offered to buy you a new one - take that and keep running the old MAC.

I have had my MAC book air for about 8 years - never let me down, never had a virus, switches on every time. Looking a bit dated, but I wouldn't say no to a new computer
I don't see the new ones as a substantial upgrade over my late 2013 model, which is why i haven't upgraded mine even. This is despite the fact that my yearly personal computer expenditure regularly goes into 5 figures. Yours will be absolutely fine for at least another 2-3 years before you even need to consider upgrading.
Part of me would be inclined to keep it running; if you think it is about to die on you, then I would suggest an update. I have a 2016 MacBook pro and have had no problems so far though I know that some people have had issues with it. personal suggestion is that you get a 2015 or 2016 one as they are plenty powerful enough but would save you money as opposed to buying the latest model
I would personally carry on using the your 2014 model okay some of the technology has changed but it’s no different than mine that’s a year or so younger
Reply 9

2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

My Mid 2014 MPBR is still going strong (touch wood) BUT I did have to change the battery recently, so maybe check how many cycles you have left.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201585

Also a huge performance improvement comes from using a SSD. I don't know if you can add one to yours but it might be worth investigating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

You can take your notes on something like OneNote, then they are on cloud anyway or any other program that uses cloud. Then there wouldn't be any problem changing your laptop/PC during your course :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending