The Student Room Group

Is £1,800 a lot for a laptop?

I haven’t bought a new laptop for about 4/5 years- my old one no longer functions properly and cost about £500.

The new one I’m looking at is a Mac and has 16 ram. I want to work in media/ tech based roles. So would be using software etc.
I think it is, but considering that you will probably use it quite a lot for the work that you’re doing and that you want quite a lot of different software on it it’s probably a relatively good price
Reply 2
Yeah. I spent less than that on a high end desktop. Shop around.
Reply 3
Original post by EVMD17
I haven’t bought a new laptop for about 4/5 years- my old one no longer functions properly and cost about £500.

The new one I’m looking at is a Mac and has 16 ram. I want to work in media/ tech based roles. So would be using software etc.
For people with a use case that justifies hardware that expensive, it might be a worthwhile purchase. For people without a need for one, it's probably a waste. It sounds like you're the latter.

At this point your needs are purely aspirational, and I'd be willing to bet if your usage can be boiled down to "software" you almost certainly don't need the power a high end MacBook will provide.

I'd wager a laptop costing the same amount you spent before will be absolutely fine until you actually get a job that might have requirements for a higher end machine. Even if you were dead set on a Mac, you can grab the M1 MacBook Air for less than half your budget, have more than enough power, and have almost a grand in the bank for when you actually need something to spend it on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending