The Student Room Group

Student finance with no parental support?

Hi all,

I was trying to fill out the student finance calculator form to see roughly how much I'll be getting from them come September. I am on my gap year, I don't live with my parents (I left home in July) and am not supported by them in any way. I pay my own rent, bills, etc. It's hard but I am working 3 jobs!

On the finance calculator it said it wouldn't consider your parents income if you had been estranged from them for 3 years. I rang their helpline and the lady there said that if I had been self-sufficiant for 1 year then they wouldn't look at my parents income. I said it will have been over a year by the time I go to Uni, which she said was fine.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation?? I used to be in care as well but obviously because I lived with my real mum and dad for the last 10 years I don't count as a care leaver.

Anyway, if anyone has any information on this it would be great to hear, I think I will end up calling them back up - just want to try and know how much I need to try and save between now and Oct and how much I might get from loans!!

Sorry for the long post!

Beckie
Reply 1
beckiestar
Hi all,

I was trying to fill out the student finance calculator form to see roughly how much I'll be getting from them come September. I am on my gap year, I don't live with my parents (I left home in July) and am not supported by them in any way. I pay my own rent, bills, etc. It's hard but I am working 3 jobs!

On the finance calculator it said it wouldn't consider your parents income if you had been estranged from them for 3 years. I rang their helpline and the lady there said that if I had been self-sufficiant for 1 year then they wouldn't look at my parents income. I said it will have been over a year by the time I go to Uni, which she said was fine.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation?? I used to be in care as well but obviously because I lived with my real mum and dad for the last 10 years I don't count as a care leaver.

Anyway, if anyone has any information on this it would be great to hear, I think I will end up calling them back up - just want to try and know how much I need to try and save between now and Oct and how much I might get from loans!!

Sorry for the long post!

Beckie

If you only moved out last July, their income will be included in your application.
Yeah, basically you have no hope unless you become officially estranged from your parents.

If it wasn't that way anyone could be 'separated' from their parents and avoid the fees.

It's a **** to those who have a genuine cause and I very much dislike the system of assesment in the UK, but it's just the way it works.
Reply 3
I don't expect to avoid the fees. It's particularly fustrating, as I would have been counted as a care-leaver and therefore eligible for that help had I not gone back to my parents a few years ago as a carer for my siblings and my ill mum!! Oh well, I'm not complaining - will just get a good job over the summer and during term time - on that note...I'm going to be doing medicine - is getting a job realistic?

x

Latest

Trending

Trending