The Student Room Group

How do I tell my interviewer I’ve changed my mind about the course?

Hi!

I have my interview with Uni of Manchester tomorrow. I’ve applied to study Chinese and Japanese, but I’m not going to be able to get the N3 qualification in Japanese they want me to have before I start in September.

I’ve been looking at their Japanese Studies course which seems to be a much better fit for me, so how do I tell my interviewer I want to be considered for that course instead?

Please help, I want to go to Manchester so badly ☹️

Thanks in advance!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ohnoitssophie
Hi!

I have my interview with Uni of Manchester tomorrow. I’ve applied to study Chinese and Japanese, but I’m not going to be able to get the N3 qualification in Japanese they want me to have before I start in September.

I’ve been looking at their Japanese Studies course which seems to be a much better fit for me, so how do I tell my interviewer I want to be considered for that course instead?

Please help, I want to go to Manchester so badly ☹️

Thanks in advance!

When they ask you at the end if you have any questions. You may even be able to talk to someone on the team before you go in for your interview.
I feel personally it would be wise to not mention it at all during interview. If you succeed at interview and secure yourself an offer, then I’d make enquiries into changing the course.

It’s seems easy to change courses during enrolment week, if the course you’d like to change to is similar.
Original post by alleycat393
When they ask you at the end if you have any questions. You may even be able to talk to someone on the team before you go in for your interview.

Correct me if I’m wrong - Would it not seem a little odd to spend the duration of an interview answering questions about yourself and why you want to study that course, to then finish by saying “Hello actually uhm can I switch”
Original post by FloralHybrid
Correct me if I’m wrong - Would it not seem a little odd to spend the duration of an interview answering questions about yourself and why you want to study that course, to then finish by saying “Hello actually uhm can I switch”

It would yes but the interview is tomorrow so unless the OP speaks to them before either in person or on the phone they don't have much of a choice. I didn't think it was helpful to tell them that they should have done this a while ago as there's not much they can do about that now.

I may have missed it but I didn't see a suggested solution from you?
(edited 6 years ago)
I would suggest that you ask in the interview about how much flexibility there is to change majors/drop minors (either before or during the course). They'll either reassure you that it's no problem or whether it's best to do early or they'll be able to explain that it isn't possible (and then you can decide whether to accept the offer if you get one with more information).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending