The Student Room Group

Grow Your Grades Half-Term Spot Prize

Scroll to see replies

I like to use OneNote to make notebooks for each of my subjects, and then within that I write what the specifications are and make a checklist of areas which need urgent attention, which ones I'm alright at and which ones need a bit more work. I then make a list of the different ways to revise this, like making notes, watching videos and making mindmaps or flashcards!! Plus, finding notes online is always helpful :smile:
I also use Get Revising to make a revision timetable which helps me organise where I can have breaks etc and highlight which subjects I do on which day. Having lots of nice stationary also helps me be motivated - I use it to write in my bullet journal and make my notes all look pretty. It's also important to schedule in breaks for exercise/going for a walk and of course going out with friends and sharing study tips also makes me feel better about revising.
Reply 41
For the core subjects ( science, maths and English) make Mr Bruff, HegartyMaths and free sciencelessons your best friends. I love using YouTube to revise as I am quite a visual learner, so I mainly use those 3 channels. Also, make revision clock and when you revise decide home much content you’re gonna cover in one session, i.e are you gonna cover topic 1 of biology.
Original post by Fox Corner
Hi everyone :wavey:

So, it's finally half-term. Phew! :u: A bit of time to kick back and relax, away from school or college*

*I'm sorry, anyone who is currently studying at university. A bit of a shock to the system to find out there are no half-terms there :redface:

Here at Grow Your Grades HQ, we decided now would be a perfect time to have a little spot-prize competition, just so you don't get to forget about revision totally.

We're offering not one, but TWO £25 amazon vouchers as a prize - imagine all the stationery, notepads and revision books you can buy with that! (You can also spend it on something fun, if you wish)

All you have to do is share your best tip (or tips) for starting your revision. What things do you do to get prepared for exams? When do you start even thinking about it? What's the best thing you do that someone else might not have thought of?

Just post your reply below, and we'll be doing a random draw of all the answers :h:

And have a great half-term! :woo:

GYG

Personally, I feel that revision is not as bad as taking the exam.
At the end of the day, we all want to achieve amazing grades and do not want to worry about re-taking an exam again next year. Therefore, If you want to do your best you need to get the work done.
Quote - "dreams don't work unless you do"

1. Mind maps - I find these very helpful in most subjects such as; English, Science, Geography, Psychology. Just grab a piece of paper and write down the topic, for example, Science could be Biology and the topic is Immune System and Response. And then write about everything you need to know about the topic. This method is an easy way of visualizing everything you need to remember all on one sheet. Also, it saves you flicking through your books the night before your exams!

2. Flashcards - are great for maths and science when remembering equations. On one side write the name of the equation is and on the other write down the equation. You will be able to learn them off the top of your head in minutes! If you don't like writing out flashcards, instead, you could use the app Quizlet and make them on there. It's perfect to use when your out and about because it will always be on your phone.

3. Voice memos - If you have a phone you can download a voice recording app or just use your video on the camera roll. And then say out loud what you need to remember for example something in French, a scientific definition. When the finished recording you can listen to it back and usually it will be easy to remember.

4. Youtube videos - my favorite for times when I feel unproductive. You can find a wide variety of youtube channels that make videos to help you revise such as Primrose Kitten, who makes science and math videos to help you recap over what topics are in each section of the paper and what you need to know. It's a more fun way of revising and it means that all you have to do is watch.

Those are all of the revision methods that I use and find helpful when it comes to revising. I hope it helps some of you and will motivate you to get work done.

Ciara :smile:
Try out loads of different revision methods and find out what is best for you!

I recommend mind maps, repetition, practice, loci memory trick and flash cards.

And of course PAST PAPERS.

Make sure you learn the information but leave enough time to ensure you get enough practice in using this information correctly in order to answer exam questions properly.:smile:
Reply 44
Start by watching a motivational video and having your goals in mind then start with the subject you find hardest and start from the beginning. You can revise however you like bu i find the most effective method is breaking your notes down into small trigger words to help you remember. This cuts down the amount of information you have to remember and means you only need to learn a few words instead of pages and pages from your textbook.

Also studying in small intervals with frequent breaks helps (not long ones tho) make sure your phone is off because i know that's my biggest distraction. Changing which subject your revising frequently also helps you to retain a lot more information

Hope this helps!
Reply 45
revision cards my man

So, it's finally half-term. Phew! :u: A bit of time to kick back and relax, away from school or college*

*I'm sorry, anyone who is currently studying at university. A bit of a shock to the system to find out there are no half-terms there :redface:

Here at Grow Your Grades HQ, we decided now would be a perfect time to have a little spot-prize competition, just so you don't get to forget about revision totally.

We're offering not one, but TWO £25 amazon vouchers as a prize - imagine all the stationery, notepads and revision books you can buy with that! (You can also spend it on something fun, if you wish)

All you have to do is share your best tip (or tips) for starting your revision. What things do you do to get prepared for exams? When do you start even thinking about it? What's the best thing you do that someone else might not have thought of?

Just post your reply below, and we'll be doing a random draw of all the answers :h:

GYG

Happy Half term!!

I have just finished mine and I’m back at school but I know some schools are off this week!
In terms of revision it is an entirely personal journey but I have a few tips and tricks that I have found helpful...

Use flashcards or post it notes and write key terms on and stick them around your house (or room! I found that placing them around the house that my 4 year old sister would be wondering around with my ‘vision’ as she called it, or had just simply torn it up🤦🏻*♀️) Be sure to put them in places that you will see them on a daily basis as it then begins to sink in... I found this especially helpful for English Quotes, my bedroom is full of Shakespeare and Chaucer quotes and has been since last year.
I found the website Quizlet really handy when learning key quotes and definitions, this was also easily accessed through the app on my phone so I could do 20 or so minutes a day when I wasn’t busy on my phone, highly recommend this!
and the other method that really works for me is past papers, and reading the mark schemes fully when marking my answers, annotating where I went wrong and then trying the question again at a later date. This helped me learn what the exam board want as model answers but also key words that I was missing. It’s a long winded way but it definitely helped me. (pS I’m getting on really well with the exam work books for AQA biology by Pauline Lowrie - Hodder Education) they do both A level and As level workbooks and I have found these an excellent tool for revision.
OneNote is something I have recently discovered but I am finding this handy to typing up notes and mind maps on each topic of my subject, I’ve never been a person to write hundreds of flashcards as I tend to lose them and therefore it is a waste of my time and also it takes up too much space in my bags, so using apps like quizlet and OneNote are far easier and I’m less likely to lose them 😂

Good luck to everyone in your Exams! But do remember that they are not the be all and end all, you are all amazing!!! - Meg x
Hi everyone :wavey: Time to draw the winners for the half-term spot-prize! Hopefully sharing your tips has inspired you to think about cracking on with revision, and it will definitely help other people who are starting revision now - you Grow Your Grades guys are the best, and always have bundles of helpful information to share :hugs:

So without further ado... Winner number one is... comment number 11! @sunshine774 that's you!
Winner number two is... comment number 40! @larkspurs that's you!

Congratulations both of you - I'll PM you with the voucher codes :smile:
Hi everyone :wavey: Time to draw the winners for the half-term spot-prize! Hopefully sharing your tips has inspired you to think about cracking on with revision, and it will definitely help other people who are starting revision now - you Grow Your Grades guys are the best, and always have bundles of helpful information to share :hugs:

So without further ado... Winner number one is... comment number 11! @sunshine774 that's you!
Winner number two is... comment number 40! @larkspurs that's you!

Congratulations both of you - I'll PM you with the voucher codes :smile:

OMG!!!!! Thank you SO much!x:biggrin:
Best tip for revising maths

1.Make Flashcards for each formulae you need to learn

2. LEARN ALL the formulae you need for the exams

3.Now go through each topic and do a couple exam questions using Maths Genie Sticky Maths and/or a revision guide I recommend CGP FOR SURE !!! Make sure you get your exam board though then tick off

4.Tick off everything you can do

5.Then write down a list of topics you don’t get

6.Use revision videos of your weakest topics on YouTube like Hegarty Maths

7.Do some more practise questions of your weaker topics and keep doing them until you can’t get any of them wrong

8.Have a go at a past paper

And all I can say is the only way you can revise for maths is if you PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE there is no other way I found this out at the start of year 11 and I went from getting grade 3 (Equivalent to an D-) to a grade 6(Equivalent to a B+/A-)
Best tip for revising science
1.THIS IS CRUCIAL Find your Exam board Specification Higher or Foundation depending on what you’re doing

2.Make Flashcards for each of the point on the specification How I do it is I get my Edexcel GCSE specification my revision guide and my iPad with my Flashcards app and I look at a point in the specification for example Biology 9.1 be able to recall all the levels in an ecosystem and what they mean . Then I’d look in my revision guide find Section 9 find the ecosystems level and write down Flashcards for it.

3. Once you’ve written down all of your Flashcards , REMEMBER them go through each topic and just go over them again and again until you get them right

4.Once you remember a topic find some exam question on that topic to get you used to the style of the questions mark them and see what you could do to improve

5.Once you remember all the topics please please please go through them everyday otherwise it is going to leave your head

6.If you still don’t get a science topic ask a teacher or look online for videos on the topics

And the way I get time to revise all Biology Chemistry and Physics is the pomodoro technique (FUN FACT Pomodoro means tomato!!) I work on ONE topic for 20 minutes then rest for 5 minutes and then work on another topic for 20 minutes and have a five minute break etc

I highly recommend you find your science specification because if you know all of the stuff on there you will do well
I used to be the worst at science in year 9 and year 10 but now I’m at the top of the class because of what I’ve just told you
Ooh, you had me at stationary!

My friends and I were talking about having specific techniques for each subject, and whether that’s helpful. We decided that essay subjects, like History and RS, suit flashcards the most. So, for example, I made one flashcard for each event in history; e.g. one for The Ohio Gang, one for The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, etc.

Next, for science and maths subjects, we settled on practice papers. Firstly, look through notes and textbooks, and then test your knowledge on some specimen papers or some CGP practice books.

Then, for English, we chose Quizlets as the most helpful! Have one side of your flashcard as the first few words of a quote, and the other side as the full thing. For example, in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, one side just has “Soho...” and then once you turn the flashcard over you’re met with the full quote of “Soho... with its muddy ways and its slatternly passengers.”.

Languages are definitely another one for the Quizlets. Although, this time, you’d be better off using some that are already on the website rather than creating your own.

Unfortunately there aren’t any more relevant subjects that I do, so I can’t give anymore advice on that front. But I really would recommend discussing with friends what they find the best use of their time is, for each subject!
Quizlet. Is. The. Most. Useful. Thing. Ever.
PAST PAPER QUESTIONS WILL SAVE YOU! :biggrin:
Once you have understood everything and made basic notes you can understand, fo ahead and try all the exam level questions you can get your hands on. It’s all very well knowing the syllabus, but if you can’t apply it then the exam might be a little difficult! It also allows you to read the mark schemes and see what the examiners are looking for. Try to imagine yourself as an examiner and think - what would I be looking for in the answer?
:emo: i was post 11, not sunshine
START FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR
- buy a textbook/borrow one from school and work your way through it throughout the year!
- become engaged in lessons, much easier to understand if you were discussing the topic with the teacher or fellow students.
- enjoy revision! whether you hate or love the subject, say to yourself and other that you enjoy studying it, and eventually you will! (think of this as a postive mindset)

GYG

hi my best revision technique would be to do past papers and que cards
this help alot !!!!
Original post by nyxnko_
ooh spot prize!! :biggrin: I'm imagining the stationery!! :laugh:

Making notes is what I do. I make them to review and then remake them and make them look nice, etc but recently I've been finding that a bit too time-consuming and it's not working very well so I'm trying to switch it up a bit with mind-maps, some flashcards, random post-its on my bedroom wall showing random facts and definitions and something I would really like to try is voice recording :biggrin: Oh, and I forgot to mention past paper questions!! :love: I love those to bits :tongue:

Revision takes time. I try to start as early as possible by making my notes and stuff around December (or even before then) so that I don't have to make them later (I do that anyway :tongue:)

I can't think of something that I do that someone else might not have thought of :s-smilie: because most revision tips are quite similar... Idk... pomodoro technique? bullet journal? I guess those are probably the ones that only study geeks know about :tongue:

I was reading this post for inspo and revision tips and I literally blushed... I am literally the BIGGEST study geek, like Bullet journal, Pomodoro, Studyblr type geek.
EEK! :colondollar:
Original post by Rachana.L
I was reading this post for inspo and revision tips and I literally blushed... I am literally the BIGGEST study geek, like Bullet journal, Pomodoro, Studyblr type geek.
EEK! :colondollar:

Sameeeee!! :five: (as you can probably tell :colondollar:)
What's your studyblr? I'll follow you :wink: I'm not very active but I'll follow you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending