The Student Room Group

Self-studying Biology and Chemistry

Hello all,

I'm wanting to self-study GCSEs and A-Levels in both Biology and Chemistry. However, I see both subjects have a practical component at both GCSE Level and Advanced Level. How would I sit the practical component? Could I bypass it by taking the international GCSEs and A-Levels?
Original post by rickyrossman
Hello all,

I'm wanting to self-study GCSEs and A-Levels in both Biology and Chemistry. However, I see both subjects have a practical component at both GCSE Level and Advanced Level. How would I sit the practical component? Could I bypass it by taking the international GCSEs and A-Levels?

Normally you find someone who offers the practical component as a course. It costs money. The unis will say whether they want the practical endorsement or not.

Random example

https://www.greenes.org.uk/a-level-science-practicals/
Original post by 999tigger
Normally you find someone who offers the practical component as a course. It costs money. The unis will say whether they want the practical endorsement or not.

Random example

https://www.greenes.org.uk/a-level-science-practicals/

Yeah, all the medical schools I sent letters to want the practical endorsement. I'm on good terms with the teachers at my secondary school so they might let me do the practical endorsement there.
I'm gonna use my summer vacation to begin learning A-Level Biology and Chemistry. Gonna start with the AS level things first, do you know the name of the textbook the schools use? I looked on amazon but they only show student guides/revision guides.
Original post by rickyrossman
Yeah, all the medical schools I sent letters to want the practical endorsement. I'm on good terms with the teachers at my secondary school so they might let me do the practical endorsement there.
I'm gonna use my summer vacation to begin learning A-Level Biology and Chemistry. Gonna start with the AS level things first, do you know the name of the textbook the schools use? I looked on amazon but they only show student guides/revision guides.

Hi,
NEC offers online courses for the science A levels. You can start anytime and work towards summer 2019 completion. You can also do the practical with us, or somewhere else. Do you need the endorsement in one subject only, or both?
You will use a combination of NEC learning material, videos and the Edexcel Student book. Contact us at [email protected] if you are interested.

Quick Reply

Latest