The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth University applicants' thread 2018

Welcome to the Bournemouth University applicants’ thread 2018 entry

Hi there! This thread has been created for anyone who has applied to BU in 2018. Feel free to chat to other applicants and find coursemates or discuss any questions that you may have about BU and the application process!

Just fill out the form below to get the conversations flowing!

Course:

Undergraduate/Postgraduate:

Offer made:

Are you coming to an open day?

Favourite hobby?

Any questions?

Looking forward to talking to all of you!

Alice, Dom K, Gaby and Dom B BU Student Rep team

Scroll to see replies

Hi I’m currently studying my A-Levels and thinking of studying psychology at Bournemouth. I have just received a unconditional offer, and would just like to hear any pros or cons of the uni the current students😭😭 anything would help 😊
(edited 6 years ago)
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by J.L.T2909
Hi I’m currently studying my A-Levels and thinking of studying psychology at Bournemouth. I have just received a unconditional offer, and would just like to hear any pros or cons of the uni the current students😭😭 anything would help 😊

Hi there!
Hopefully I can help answer some of your queries. Were you looking to know more about the course or the uni itself? With regards to the uni, your course would be based at the Talbot campus and this is accessible via our UniBUs service that takes students from the town centre (where the majority of the uni accommodation is based, conveniently close to all of the shops and within walking distance of the beach) to the campus. What is also useful is that a bus pass is included in your rent in your first year accommodation. As a student myself, I also think it's great that there are loads of extra curricular activities that you can be a part of such as the long list of societies that we have and also volunteering.

With regards to the night life, there are many clubs situated in the town centre, that are popular among the students here but there are also plenty of other activities that the Res Life hold if clubbing isn't your thing. Perhaps have a look on BU Res Life's Facebook page for more info.

I don't know if you have already done this or not, but I would strongly recommend attending an open day here because it will give you an opportunity to visit the uni, talk to current students and explore the area. Here is the link to book a place:
https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/open-days

Please feel free to ask me any other questions!
Alice
Reply 3
Hello, i'm Freya I have applied for media and communications degree at bu. I am still waiting for them to respond to my application. I was just wondering what is there typical response time?
Original post by brooksf
Hello, i'm Freya I have applied for media and communications degree at bu. I am still waiting for them to respond to my application. I was just wondering what is there typical response time?

Hey Freya!
I am a student ambassador at BU and I study Media and Communication at the moment - it's a great course that you have chosen! From my personal experience, I think Bournemouth University was one of the last to respond to my application so I wouldn't worry! I would keep checking your UCAS track and if you are still concerned, you can email [email protected] and they may be able to give you more info!
Alice
Reply 5
My offer came through about 2 weeks ago but the uni told me it might take til Easter!
Original post by Miljee
My offer came through about 2 weeks ago but the uni told me it might take til Easter!

Hey Miljee,

Congratulations on receiving an offer!

Could you please elaborate- you've said you received your offer but then that you won't receive it til Easter... is that correct?

-Dom B
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey I’m Rebekah
I’m going to study Physiotherapy at BU
Undergraduate
Somehow I got an Unconditional I’m so shocked and happy
I’m going to the applicant day on April 4th
I’m currently looking at the different accommodation I love Dorchester House but is it slightly separate to the other accommodation in Lansdowne area?
Original post by Becky1618
Hey I’m Rebekah
I’m going to study Physiotherapy at BU
Undergraduate
Somehow I got an Unconditional I’m so shocked and happy
I’m going to the applicant day on April 4th
I’m currently looking at the different accommodation I love Dorchester House but is it slightly separate to the other accommodation in Lansdowne area?

Hey Rebekah!
Congratulations on getting a place at BU!
That's great that you're coming to the applicant day and no, you can easily walk to the other halls in Landsdowne from Dorchester House so don't worry! Dorchester is great because it's close to Asda and the train station as well.
Alice
Reply 9
Course: MA Creative Media Arts: Data and Innovation

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Postgraduate MA

Offer made: Accepted (with scholarship)

Are you coming to an open day? I'm not sure. I'm an international student and won't be moving to the UK until school starts.

Favorite hobby? Doing ANYTHING outside, visiting museums and art galleries, reading, painting, and catching up on my favorite shows: Dear White People (Netflix), Blackish, Grownish, Big Mouth, Power, Insecure, Chewing Gum, Claws....

Any questions? Has anyone else on here been accepted into BU for the media program?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by msb757
Course: MA Creative Media Arts: Data and Innovation

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Postgraduate MA

Offer made: Accepted (with scholarship)

Are you coming to an open day? I'm not sure. I'm an international student and won't be moving to the UK until school starts.

Favorite hobby? Doing ANYTHING outside, visiting museums and art galleries, reading, painting, and catching up on my favorite shows: Dear White People (Netflix), Blackish, Grownish, Big Mouth, Power, Insecure, Chewing Gum, Claws....

Any questions? Has anyone else on here been accepted into BU for the media program?

Hey!
That's great that you have chosen BU! If you're not able to come to an open day, don't worry! BU has their own virtual tour on their website - here is the link for it: https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/sites/all/themes/bournemouth/virtual-bu/
Your hobbies sound great and I'm sure there will be plenty of outdoor things that you can do in Bournemouth! Be sure to check back on this thread to see if anyone else posts later on that is doing the same course as you.
Alice :smile:
Hey i'm Louis, i'm going this year to study Animation Art and Design. Is anyone else here going for the same or similar course?
Original post by louis.h21
Hey i'm Louis, i'm going this year to study Animation Art and Design. Is anyone else here going for the same or similar course?

Hey Louis,
That's great news, make sure you watch this thread so that you can see if anyone else from your course posts on here!

Course: BSc Biological Sciences

Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Undergraduate

Offer made: Unconditional (so long as it's firm choice)

Are you coming to an open day? Been to 2 already

Favourite hobby? Horse Riding

Any questions? What are your teaching hours?

Original post by dreamerz11

Hey there!
That's great that you have been to two open days already! If you click on this link: https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/bsc-hons-biological-sciences and scroll almost to the bottom of the page, then it shows the teaching hours there!
Reply 15
Hi, I received an unconditional for Physio starting this September which I've firmly accepted and I was just wondering regarding myHub whether or not the action will update to 'Unconditional Firm'? Only asking as I've been sorting out accommodation and I can't complete step 2 etc until the action is changed on myHub to 'uncondtional firm.' On UCAS, it's been firmly accepted but not on myHub. I was just asking whether or not it should have updated or whether it'll update on results day or anytime soon, so I can complete step 2 with the personal profile etc?

Thanks
Original post by EM3108
Hi, I received an unconditional for Physio starting this September which I've firmly accepted and I was just wondering regarding myHub whether or not the action will update to 'Unconditional Firm'? Only asking as I've been sorting out accommodation and I can't complete step 2 etc until the action is changed on myHub to 'uncondtional firm.' On UCAS, it's been firmly accepted but not on myHub. I was just asking whether or not it should have updated or whether it'll update on results day or anytime soon, so I can complete step 2 with the personal profile etc?

Thanks

Hey!
It will probably update on results day as you can't complete the second stage of the accommodation process until results day anyway. However, I will tag @Bournemouth University in this thread to see if they can confirm this.
Hi there if you have an unconditional offer then stage 2 of the acommodation process (as long as you have completed stage 1) will not be sent until either June or July time so keep an eye out at this time. Hopefully everything should be up-dated by now if not send a quick email to our Admissions team (their email is in the top right corner of your offer letter) to see what is happening. :-)
Original post by dreamerz11

Hi there!! I’ve just completed my degree in Biological Sciences from Bournemouth. If you have any specific course questions I’d be more than happy to help you :smile:
Original post by magicus158
Hi there!! I’ve just completed my degree in Biological Sciences from Bournemouth. If you have any specific course questions I’d be more than happy to help you :smile:

I have a few (sorry but I really want the opinion of an ex student 😂):

1.) which accommodation did you stay in for your first year and how easy was it to find a new place after?
2.) how many people took your course?
3.) what was the teaching like? (How many contact hours were there? Was there extra help if you needed it?)
4.) what was the facilities for biological science specifically and what trip did you go on (if you did go on one?)
5.) other than the course, what was the best thing about studying at Bournemouth

Sorry, that’s a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending