The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ibac
Hi everyone! I want to apply to the Mphil in Development studies at Cambridge next year. Is there someone else that would like to study at graduate level at Cambridge? :smile:

Hi, I've moved your thread in here - the postgrad megathreads usually live in the postgrad forum :smile:

Good luck!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Hi, I've moved your thread in here - the postgrad megathreads usually live in the postgrad forum :smile:

Good luck!

Thank you very much!
Original post by Ibac
Thank you very much!

It's a bit early but I've stuck your thread i.e it will appear at the top of the forum. Please do not create additional threads about the same thing.
Hey, so today I found a MPhil course at Cambridge that I will be applying to (assuming I get a first at the end of this year). Its really early and stuff I know but I hopefully I will be returning to this thread a lot over the coming year or so.
Reply 5
Original post by Kemosabe99
Hey, so today I found a MPhil course at Cambridge that I will be applying to (assuming I get a first at the end of this year). Its really early and stuff I know but I hopefully I will be returning to this thread a lot over the coming year or so.

What are you studying? :smile: I want to apply to the same course
Original post by Ibac
What are you studying? :smile: I want to apply to the same course

Its a Research Mphil in Archaeology, hopefully! Need to finish my diss and stuff first though
Reply 7
Hey guys! Hoping to apply to Oxford and Cambridge this November for a PhD starting next year, as I've spotted potential supervisors at both, although I'm from a working-class background so I won't be going anywhere without funding:frown:

- Current University: Durham University (Starting my MLitt at St Andrew's in September)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1.1 (hopefully!)
- Prospective Course: English Literature PhD (Post 1830) with a focus on Victorianism.
- Prospective College: Not decided yet! Maybe Emma or Fitzwilliam?
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Student journalism, welfare, on the exec committee of a few different societies, editor for the student magazine etc.
Reply 8
Original post by Ibac
Hi everyone! I want to apply to the Mphil in Development studies at Cambridge next year. Is there someone else that would like to study at graduate level at Cambridge? :smile:

Yeah! I'm looking to MPhil economics
Reply 9
Hey, glad to see I'm not the only one who's planning very far ahead!

- Current University: University of Exeter.
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First.
- Prospective Course: MPhil African Studies.
- Prospective College: Magdalene College, Christ's College.
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Squash, cricket, rugby, languages.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Ibac

Hey! I'm applying to do the MPhil at Cambridge to. Have you started writing your application yet?
- Current University: University of Leeds.
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First.
- Prospective Course: PhD Engineering Science.
- Prospective College: Open.
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Robotics, programming.

What are people doing in regard to open days? I've seen there's a postgraduate open day on Friday 2 November 2018. And there are general ones on the 5th and 6th July. Not sure whether its worth going to the general open days or if these are more for undergrads?
Original post by Wilkoneer

What are people doing in regard to open days? I've seen there's a postgraduate open day on Friday 2 November 2018. And there are general ones on the 5th and 6th July. Not sure whether its worth going to the general open days or if these are more for undergrads?

I suspect on the general ones you might find the sessions are for undergrads, and perhaps they might struggle to answer PG questions, but you can still look around the states ie Colleges and Schools/departments.
Original post by Ibac

I'm applying to Cambridge for Dev Studies too. I tried last year with a couple of friends of mine unknowingly, only one of us got in. I must admit my average was below par at the time, only just about good enough to meet admissions requirements. I have started to get results back for my final year, and it seems like I've managed to bag myself a 1st. I see no harm in trying again this year now that I know my grades and have had more time to rethink my interests/approach. Moreover, I'll have someone on the inside to let me know what everything is like :P

What about you?

Obligatory stats sheet:
- Current University: London
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st
- Prospective Course: Development Studies + Politics & IR, both MPhil
- Prospective College: Whichever has the most funding to offer at the time of applying, I'm broke. I have a soft spot for Emmanuel College; they'll probably be one of my choices.
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Dissertation was an institutional and econometric analysis on the impacts of social policy. A bunch of ECs including radio and teaching. Keenly interested in behavioural economics, prospect theory, and decision making (presented at a conference, more boring than you'd expect :P)
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm an international student attending university in Japan and I am aiming for Mphil in IR! Wondering if there are any other international applicants here.
Original post by Keroguchi
I'm an international student attending university in Japan and I am aiming for Mphil in IR! Wondering if there are any other international applicants here.

Welcome! I’m not an international but it looks like we’ll be applying for the same course. What attracts you to the politics/IR programme?
Original post by Jgradschool
Welcome! I’m not an international but it looks like we’ll be applying for the same course. What attracts you to the politics/IR programme?

Hello! I have no idea how Cambridge evaluates foreign GPAs, I know that they have some sort of scale on the official website but it's still unclear. Kinda wish I went to the UK for my BA now. I'm attracted to the IR programme because I have a fascination towards how state institutions work and assist in international business deals, so I guess that will be my research topic. What about you sir/madam?
Hello! I have no idea how Cambridge evaluates foreign GPAs, I know that they have some sort of scale on the official website but it's still unclear. Kinda wish I went to the UK for my BA now. I'm attracted to the IR programme because I have a fascination towards how state institutions work and assist in international business deals, so I guess that will be my research topic. What about you sir/madam?

That’s sounds very interesting. I have similar interests insofar as my intended research can cover that area. I focus on how policy can be made to accommodate and make the most of institutions la North) and social norms. I’m going to have to look into how well I fit in with the department. At the moment I’m applying to whoever has the best funding.

On the Japanese-UK grade conversion, this is what Cambridge says:
”University Minimum Requirement
Bachelor’s Degree (Gakushi) from a prestigious institution with an overall grade of 80, A, Excellent. Bachelor’s Degree (Gakushi) from any other institution with an overall grade of 90, S, A or Outstanding. Master’s Degree (Shushi) with a pass.

If the academic requirement of the course is a first:

Bachelor’s Degree (Gakushi) from a prestigious institution with an overall grade of 90, S, A+ or Outstanding.”

For the Politics and International Relations MPhil, you'd need a 90, S, A+, or Outstanding
Reply 18

It tells you here :
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-qualifications
(Pick your country)

:smile:

Edit: ah, @Jgradschool put it up already :yy:
(edited 5 years ago)
- Current University: Newcastle
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st (Assuming i get 41 on my final essay!)
- Prospective Course: Mphil in Archaeological Research
- Prospective College: Any but Churchill (Ideally an older one but tbh I know nothing about any of them)
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: I did Theatre, Football, Lacrosse, Archaeology, History and Raising and Giving Society (was quite busy hahaha)

So once I have got my full marks back and obviously my degree classification, and formulated an idea about what I want to do by masters on, what is the next step? Do I contact the admissions office to ask about supervisors? Do the University put on open days for postgrads (and specific departments to)?