Official Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Applicants Thread Watch

Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
The 2019 thread was initiated around this time last year, so let's get the 2020 one up and running! Penultimate/final year exams are looming, and many of us are considering postgraduate courses.

Ice breaker information to get the ball rolling:

- Current University:
- Achieved (Expected) Grade:
- Prospective Course:
- Prospective College:
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities:

Good luck everyone!
Last edited by Exceptional; 2 months ago
Hjortlund
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Looks a bit dead in here, but I guess it is kind of early seeing as applications will open in a while.. Anyways, look forward to chatting with other prospective cambridge postgrads. Also, if you're appyling from overseas, hmu! I'm from Copenhagen, so feel like a fish out of water with regards to UK post grad applications.

- Current University: University of Copenhagen, Niels Bohr Institute
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 10.2 (Expected 10.7 at application deadline)
- Prospective Course: MAST in Applied Mathematics
- Prospective College: Christ's
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: I do research in gravitational wave physics in my free time. In addition to this, I also am active in a bunch of clubs at the physics department, such as our movie club, physics revue, freshmen tutors etc. Otherwise I skateboard and dance lindy hop in my free time.
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Hjortlund)
Looks a bit dead in here, but I guess it is kind of early seeing as applications will open in a while.. Anyways, look forward to chatting with other prospective cambridge postgrads. Also, if you're appyling from overseas, hmu! I'm from Copenhagen, so feel like a fish out of water with regards to UK post grad applications.

- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: I do research in gravitational wave physics in my free time. In addition to this, I also am active in a bunch of clubs at the physics department, such as our movie club, physics revue, freshmen tutors etc. Otherwise I skateboard and dance lindy hop in my free time.
Haha yes, this thread will be more active over the next few months I'm sure
chungls123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Hjortlund)

Hello Hjortlund,
We are applying for the same course and I just start learning to play skateboard (I broke my ankle haha)! However, I know nothing about gravitational waves :P

- Current University: UCL (Bsc mathematics and physics)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 86% (year 1) 92% (year 2)
- Prospective Course: MAST applied mathematics (theoretical physics stream)
- Prospective College: Any
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Summer project on the exchange of light particles. I love spending my free time with my family and friends. I also like making piano cover for anime/game musics.
Livontheedge
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey guys!

Don't know anything about physics but here is my rundown
- Current University: Sewanee (liberal arts college in the US)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 3.95/4.00 (hopefully graduating summa *** laude with honors!)
- Prospective Course: MPhil Development studies
- Prospective College: No major preference!
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: I am currently doing research on the affirmative action bill in Ghana! I also did a semester abroad here as well as an internship last year! I'm a resident of the Women's Centre at my university -- we work to reduce sexual harassment on campus and provide an open and safe space for students to come to at any time!
Hjortlund
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chungls123)
Hello Hjortlund,
We are applying for the same course and I just start learning to play skateboard (I broke my ankle haha)! However, I know nothing about gravitational waves :P

- Current University: UCL (Bsc mathematics and physics)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 86% (year 1) 92% (year 2)
- Prospective Course: MAST applied mathematics (theoretical physics stream)
- Prospective College: Any
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Summer project on the exchange of light particles. I love spending my free time with my family and friends. I also like making piano cover for anime/game musics.
Awesome that you're applying for the same course!

Oh damn, did you break your ankle while skateboarding? Gotta be careful haha! Worst I've done is dislocate my shoulder, hurts like hell.
Canisse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello! Another future applicant here!

- Current University: Durham University
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First
- Prospective Course: MPhil in Criminological Research / MPhil in Sociology of Marginality and Exclusion
- Prospective College: Not that sure yet
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Various volunteer activities. Enthusiastic outdoor adventurer, backpacker, wilderness survival trekker - always in the company of my English Setter.

Good luck to you all!
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
- Current University: University of Liverpool
- Achieved Grade: 1st Class
- Prospective Course: MPhil Egyptology
- Prospective College: Emmanuel (but really not fussed)
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Taking a year out to intern at the university, have been involved with a number of societies, had 2 research internships, 3 relevant work experience placements and some Egyptological public speaking experience, too.
Hjortlund
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So I just recieved grades for my Statistical Physics course, and received a 02, the lowest passing grade, which has seriously tanked my grade point average. If I were to apply this year, I would at best be able to bring my average up to 10.1, with Cambridges minimum being an average of 10. The professor for the Statistical Physics course has recently been removed from his lecturing position, and this was his last year teaching this course, due to the quality of his lectures and harshness in grading. Could it perhaps help my application if one of my referees mentioned this?

I'm seriously considering just applying in 2021 so I have an actual chance of getting in..
Patagonia
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
- Current University: University of Nottingham
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First
- Prospective Course: MPhil in Development Studies
- Prospective College: St Catharine's
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: two relevant internships, taught in a developing country, won a few academic prizes, won an international essay competition related to the Sustainable Development Goals, plus some other bits and pieces.

Good luck everyone!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads