The Student Room Group

History 8 mark question structure?

Hello. I've got a History mock assessment in a week's time. It's going to be short; (3x 8 mark questions) and I am aiming for an 8, which is around 85%. Our teacher has told us to include the relevant things, (change, pace of chance, relevance, significance etc.) but I was wondering if anyone had a solid structure that would almost guarantee the 8/8 marks per question if I know the facts, which I will- when I stop procrastinating! Even if it's for a 12 mark or even 30 mark question, please let me know so I can get some ideas going. Thanks!
So, step one... ALWAYS repeat the wording of the question. This way the examiner will know that you know and understand what is being asked of you and it should also prevent you from going off topic and rambling about something unnecessary.
Step two.. make your point in the first line, and stick to it!!
Step three..evidence evidence evidence. You need to back up all of your points with cold, hard facts and if you know dates and statistics than you will get rewarded even more for that
Step four...if it is asking for something that happened as a result of an event, DO NOT speak about what happened at the event (trust me this will save you later lol)
TIP- 8 markers are usually around two paragraphs long, remember in the actual exam you will not have time to spend more than ten minutes on one 8 mark question so try to keep your paragraphs concise and to the point!

I hope this helps and if I think of anything else about the structure of a history question then I will pop up again later but for now I hope this helps you a bit. Good Luck in your assessment :smile:
Original post by I'mCookieMonster
So, step one... ALWAYS repeat the wording of the question. This way the examiner will know that you know and understand what is being asked of you and it should also prevent you from going off topic and rambling about something unnecessary.
Step three..evidence evidence evidence. You need to back up all of your points with cold, hard facts and if you know dates and statistics than you will get rewarded even more for that
Step four...if it is asking for something that happened as a result of an event, DO NOT speak about what happened at the event (trust me this will save you later lol)
TIP- 8 markers are usually around two paragraphs long, remember in the actual exam you will not have time to spend more than ten minutes on one 8 mark question so try to keep your paragraphs concise and to the point!

I hope this helps and if I think of anything else about the structure of a history question then I will pop up again later but for now I hope this helps you a bit. Good Luck in your assessment :smile:

Thanks that was helpful. I'll update you in a few weeks and tell you how I get on! :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so so so so so so so much!!!!! It's really helpful and i hope I get the full 8 marks. Your a life saver! 🙈🙈🙈🙈😁😁😁😘😘😘😍😍😍😍❤️❤️💖💖💖💖🙈🙈🙈🙈👌👌👌☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️
Original post by username3753020
Hello. I've got a History mock assessment in a week's time. It's going to be short; (3x 8 mark questions) and I am aiming for an 8, which is around 85%. Our teacher has told us to include the relevant things, (change, pace of chance, relevance, significance etc.) but I was wondering if anyone had a solid structure that would almost guarantee the 8/8 marks per question if I know the facts, which I will- when I stop procrastinating! Even if it's for a 12 mark or even 30 mark question, please let me know so I can get some ideas going. Thanks!

how do i start a 8 mark question
for an 8 marker question i believe you should get straight to the point, no introduction or conclusion is needed, i guess in an 8 marker there should be minimum 2 paragraphs talking about the 2 points you originally planned
Is it necessary to quote within 8 markers?
Original post by Divss_016
Is it necessary to quote within 8 markers?

yh
Reply 8
Original post by I'mCookieMonster

5 years have passed, and this is saving me at the moment, haha. Thank you for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest