The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Maths Tests - Primary Education 5 - 11

Hey!

I have an interview at Sheffield Hallam for a course in Primary Education 5 - 11 with a QTS in the next couple days and it states that there will a written maths task to complete on the day. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about that as maths is not a strong point for me.

Try not to worry about it too much it's really easy and was 20 minutes at most I think. I took it about a month ago, from what I can remember it was really easy, some percentage questions, really really realllyyyyy basic algebra and fractions. I'd say it was harder than primary school level, but no where near GCSE, good luck!!( you'll also have a Literacy test)
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by Emma Holmes
Hey!

I have an interview at Sheffield Hallam for a course in Primary Education 5 - 11 with a QTS in the next couple days and it states that there will a written maths task to complete on the day. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about that as maths is not a strong point for me.

Hi @Emma Holmes

I spoke to an academic and this is what they came back with:

For the maths test, it covers basic questions in 20 minutes. It's probably below GCSE level & is used as an indicator of how we might support them. We know they have GCSE C grade & the QTS tests before the course starts, so don't need to get them all right. The written bit is also 20 mins & just asks them to respond to a scenario. We will look at their structure, spelling, grammar etc then consider their ideas in their response.

Mark

Just be aware that they do this so that they can give you the best opportunity of being offered a place. So don't feel like this is how they try to catch people out, just try to relax & possibly enjoy the experience.

Are you ok with the literacy test aswell?

Reanne :h:
Hi,

Thank you so much this has been really helpful! Also, thank you for referencing the literacy aspect but because I have already sat something similar in other interviews, I need no further assistance on that.

:smile:
Thank you, this was helpful!
Original post by Emma Holmes
Hi,

Thank you so much this has been really helpful! Also, thank you for referencing the literacy aspect but because I have already sat something similar in other interviews, I need no further assistance on that.

:smile:

No worries, anything you are worried about feel free to let me know!

Reanne :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending