The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Mathematics: Statistics S2 6684 01 - 25 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find the 2018 Edexcel S2 exam?

Amazing! :woo: 25%
Good :H 34%
Okay :bebored: 23%
Bad :cry2: 9%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@8%
Total votes: 279

Edexcel AS Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Statistics 2
Date: Monday 25th June 2018
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 1 :crazy:

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find all Edexcel Maths past papers [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371"]here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. Materials for S2 can be found here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence!

Other Edexcel Exam Threads:
Edexcel AS Core Maths C1
Edexcel AS Core Maths C2
Edexcel A2 Core Maths C3
Edexcel A2 Core Maths C4
Edexcel AS Mechanics M1
Edexcel A2 Mechanics M2
Edexcel AS Statistics S1
Edexcel AS Decision Maths D1
Edexcel A2 Decision Maths D2
Edexcel AS Further Pure FP1
Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP2
Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP3
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

S2 I think is the limit of my applied (no pun intended) :biggrin:
S2 is a nice module, however the wording can be really hard to wrap your head around sometimes, but once you do it's pretty straight forward
Are you guys doing edexcel papers only or solomon ??/ :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by nisha.sri

I'll do both, in a couple of weeks from now.
Reply 5
For Binomial and poisson questions, do we need to show working if the question can be done on a graphical calculator.

Example:
Number of misprints per page has Poisson, mean of 2.5,
Find probability of no misprints(2 marks),

If I just write X~Po(2.5)
P(X=0)=0.0821

Will I still get full marks even though in the mark scheme, you get an M1 for doing P(X<=1)-P(X<=0)?
Reply 6
Ugh this is on the same day as FP3 :frown:((
Reply 7
Original post by Shadow~
Ugh this is on the same day as FP3 :frown:((

JustEdexcelTings
Could they ask you to prove the formula VAR (X)=(b-a)^2/12 for Continuous Uniform Distribution? It's just that there's an example on it in the textbook.
Reply 9
I keep running out of time but I hear people finish this paper in like an hour and it's meant to be easier then S1. Are there any well known or not so well known shortcuts I may be missing out on (that some of you might want to share)?

I am only saying this because, I would try to get S2 perfectly but I now have C4 to prepare for and then after that it's FP3 and S2 clash on Monday. (Yes, I regret taking Further Maths but I can't quit now).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nisha.sri

finished the solomon :biggrin: gonna finish edexcel sooon
Original post by jakearms18
Could they ask you to prove the formula VAR (X)=(b-a)^2/12 for Continuous Uniform Distribution? It's just that there's an example on it in the textbook.

yes, I think I have seen it in a past paper, can't remember which one.

I just checked the book, and it says that we may be needed to derive the Variance Var(x) and the mean E(x) formulas from the first principles. It is derived on pages 71 and 72.

If I find more formulas that we may need to prove I will update this post.
(edited 5 years ago)
Guys, S1, M1, D1 & M2 have all gone pretty bad so far (from what I have heard). Do you reckon S2 will be bad too?
Original post by keepyourapology
Guys, S1, M1, D1 & M2 have all gone pretty bad so far (from what I have heard). Do you reckon S2 will be bad too?

M3 was meh as well xD

But plz no I'm relying on s2 to save my grade. it better not be bad
Reply 14
How long does this paper usually take for you guys to finish?
Original post by Nirm
How long does this paper usually take for you guys to finish?

under an hour or 70 mins max for a lengthy paper
Reply 16
Original post by kunalkishanmehta
under an hour or 70 mins max for a lengthy paper

Ah okay. Seems I really need to up my comprehension of the questions.
Does anyone have a full list of all the definitions that have come up on the paper/we need to know? Need all dem 1 marks to compensate for the rest of the paper LOL

Also to everyone doing FP3 on Monday as well, which one will you personally be prioritising?
Original post by keepyourapology

From personally taking S1, D1 and M2 this year and finding them all tragic I really hope S2 will be easier!
Reply 19
are people taking s2 or fp3 first? I'm doing fp3 first and then s2 :frown: i'd rather it be the other way wrong but school doesn't allow that....

Quick Reply

Latest