Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel AS Mathematics: Core Mathematics C2 6664 01 - 23 May 2018 [Exam Discussion] watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the 2018 Edexcel C2 exam?
    Amazing! :woo:
    70.95%
    Good
    17.57%
    Okay :bebored:
    7.43%
    Bad :cry2:
    2.70%
    HORRIBLE PAPER!!
    1.35%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Looking for the Unofficial Markscheme? Find it here!

Edexcel AS Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Core 2
    Date: Wednesday 23rd May 2018
    Time: Morning
    Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
    Days to go?: 77

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find all Edexcel Maths past papers here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. Materials for C2 can be found here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence!

Other Edexcel Exam Threads:
    Edexcel AS Core Maths C1
    Edexcel A2 Core Maths C3
    Edexcel A2 Core Maths C4
    Edexcel AS Mechanics M1
    Edexcel A2 Mechanics M2
    Edexcel AS Statistics S1
    Edexcel A2 Statistics S2
    Edexcel AS Decision Maths D1
    Edexcel A2 Decision Maths D2
    Edexcel AS Further Pure FP1
    Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP2
    Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP3

ReputationRep:
    Hey ya'll, just wondering who's going to do the modular C2 this year? Because I'm redoing it this year. Made this thread because I haven't seen much people speak about it. So just share any tips down below or how your doing and feeling, or also any predictions.
    What mistakes did you make last year?
    How have you corrected this?
    Topics struggling with?
    Prediction of questions?
    Types of papers practiced?
    Do you feel ready?
    **My personal answers in comments**

ReputationRep:
    hi what proofs do we need to know? and i feel nowhere near ready lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student864)
    Im not 100% sure about the others but my teacher advised that we learn this one for the sum of geometric series:
    Name:  geomser-sum.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  17.4 KB

also maybe the logarithmic identities proof but unlikely that would be asked, how did u find c1 (if u retook it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdi17272728)
    Im not 100% sure about the others but my teacher advised that we learn this one for the sum of geometric series:
    Name:  geomser-sum.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  17.4 KB

also maybe the logarithmic identities proof but unlikely that would be asked, how did u find c1 (if u retook it)
    C1 was defo better than last year, but I feel maybe the grade boundaries will be high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxtentacion..)
    C1 was defo better than last year, but I feel maybe the grade boundaries will be high
    word, i thought it went much better than last year, so did my friends who retook, but everyone on here/twitter were complaining about it being hard so idk about the grade boundaries. a2 maths has made it easy af.

ReputationRep:
    word, i thought it went much better than last year, so did my friends who retook, but everyone on here/twitter were complaining about it being hard so idk about the grade boundaries. a2 maths has made it easy af.
    couldnt agree more lol

ReputationRep:
    yeah i didn't find it that bad tbh theres a couple of things i lost small marks for, im expecting the grade boundaries to b fairly high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxtentacion..)
    Everyone's saying this but I feel like they'll be roughly the same or lower because last year was a hard paper but yet the boundaries are high, besides many people doing this are retaking so why make them piss high and have people redo it AGAIN again? Most likely they'll be roughly the same

ReputationRep:
    Tbh compared to past years, the complaints on twitter/here weren't much thoo..

ReputationRep:
    Tbh i found the C1 paper pretty hard i guess its bc it was non calculator, does anyone know what's likely to come up in C2 next week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student864)
    LOL same, even tho I been revising. I feel like C1 was the calm before the storm and the rest will f-ck us up. Edexcel probs waiting to prey on our distressed souls after the exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anaheppner)
    Tbh i found the C1 paper pretty hard i guess its bc it was non calculator, does anyone know what's likely to come up in C2 next week?
    Last years paper didn’t have the usual formulaic last question to do with a particular shape & differentiation asking you to prove a length, finding the min/max then justifying it as a min/max. I’m guessing that would reappear as it’s absence last year was a bit weird

ReputationRep:
    GUYSSSS I need help plssss
    It's question 9
    http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20Edexcel.pdf
    I found the area of the whole shape and equalled it to get y
    My y was (90/x)-(9/5x) but the markscheme got 100/(x^2)
    I then thought it was the volume...but how tf do you work out the volume?
    Also the b part is area, but i did that before and it wasn't the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ioWolfdinii)
    GUYSSSS I need help plssss
    It's question 9
    http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20Edexcel.pdf
    I found the area of the whole shape and equalled it to get y
    My y was (90/x)-(9/5x) but the markscheme got 100/(x^2)
    I then thought it was the volume...but how tf do you work out the volume?
    Also the b part is area, but i did that before and it wasn't the same
    Name:  IMG_7098.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  300.0 KB idk if this makes sense but that's what i done, a bit much for a 3 marker tho

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much <3333!!!
    So split, find volume of each one, then add it all up after?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ioWolfdinii)
    Thank you so much <3333!!!
    So split, find volume of each one, then add it all up after?
    Yh that’s what i done, whenever i see weird shapes i usually try and split it into something familiar, like yesterday’s parallelogram i split it into two triangles and a rectangle, because it’s only C1/2 level so they’re not gonna give us torturous shapes to work with

ReputationRep:
    Yh that’s what i done, whenever i see weird shapes i usually try and split it into something familiar, like yesterday’s parallelogram i split it into two triangles and a rectangle, because it’s only C1/2 level so they’re not gonna give us torturous shapes to work with

Lol good thinking,, imma remember this more, I usually do the same but with 2D shapes, didn't know it could apply to 3D aswell But for yesterday area of parallelogram was base * height and finito!

ReputationRep:
    C1 was basically different to the other past paper such as a question with y^0.5 something like that we‘ve never seen it before like that so I don’t know c2 will definitely be similar hard as most of those who retake these exams are resit sooo I don’t know how To revise

ReputationRep:
    The y^0.5 was the same as sqrt y, and since x^2=y therefore x= sqrt y
    so whatever you got for x, I believe you had to square your answer.
    **only picked this up from doing solomon papers
    I still felt it was abit easier than last year tho, i'm more worried about C2, i feel like it'll really screw us over.
    However I suggest going through all the solomon papers, there aren't really much tho so its doable and after do some standard papers and you should be alright mate

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.