The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Mathematics: Core Mathematics C2 6664 01 - 23 May 2018 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find the 2018 Edexcel C2 exam?

Amazing! :woo: 71%
Good :H 18%
Okay :bebored: 7%
Bad :cry2: 3%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@1%
Total votes: 148

Looking for the Unofficial Markscheme? Find it here!

Edexcel AS Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Core 2
Date: Wednesday 23rd May 2018
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 77

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find all Edexcel Maths past papers [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371"]here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. Materials for C2 can be found here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence!

Other Edexcel Exam Threads:
Edexcel AS Core Maths C1
Edexcel A2 Core Maths C3
Edexcel A2 Core Maths C4
Edexcel AS Mechanics M1
Edexcel A2 Mechanics M2
Edexcel AS Statistics S1
Edexcel A2 Statistics S2
Edexcel AS Decision Maths D1
Edexcel A2 Decision Maths D2
Edexcel AS Further Pure FP1
Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP2
Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP3
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey ya'll, just wondering who's going to do the modular C2 this year? Because I'm redoing it this year. Made this thread because I haven't seen much people speak about it. So just share any tips down below or how your doing and feeling, or also any predictions.
What mistakes did you make last year?
How have you corrected this?
Topics struggling with?
Prediction of questions?
Types of papers practiced?
Do you feel ready?
**My personal answers in comments**
hi what proofs do we need to know? and i feel nowhere near ready lol
Reply 3
Original post by student864

Im not 100% sure about the others but my teacher advised that we learn this one for the sum of geometric series:
geomser-sum.jpg

also maybe the logarithmic identities proof but unlikely that would be asked, how did u find c1 (if u retook it)
Original post by Abdi17272728
Im not 100% sure about the others but my teacher advised that we learn this one for the sum of geometric series:
geomser-sum.jpg

also maybe the logarithmic identities proof but unlikely that would be asked, how did u find c1 (if u retook it)

C1 was defo better than last year, but I feel maybe the grade boundaries will be high
Reply 5
Original post by xxxtentacion..
C1 was defo better than last year, but I feel maybe the grade boundaries will be high

word, i thought it went much better than last year, so did my friends who retook, but everyone on here/twitter were complaining about it being hard so idk about the grade boundaries. a2 maths has made it easy af.
word, i thought it went much better than last year, so did my friends who retook, but everyone on here/twitter were complaining about it being hard so idk about the grade boundaries. a2 maths has made it easy af.

couldnt agree more lol

yeah i didn't find it that bad tbh theres a couple of things i lost small marks for, im expecting the grade boundaries to b fairly high
Original post by xxxtentacion..

Everyone's saying this but I feel like they'll be roughly the same or lower because last year was a hard paper but yet the boundaries are high, besides many people doing this are retaking so why make them piss high and have people redo it AGAIN again? Most likely they'll be roughly the same

Tbh compared to past years, the complaints on twitter/here weren't much thoo..
Tbh i found the C1 paper pretty hard i guess its bc it was non calculator, does anyone know what's likely to come up in C2 next week?
Original post by student864

LOL same, even tho I been revising. I feel like C1 was the calm before the storm and the rest will f-ck us up. Edexcel probs waiting to prey on our distressed souls after the exams
Original post by anaheppner
Tbh i found the C1 paper pretty hard i guess its bc it was non calculator, does anyone know what's likely to come up in C2 next week?

Last years paper didn’t have the usual formulaic last question to do with a particular shape & differentiation asking you to prove a length, finding the min/max then justifying it as a min/max. I’m guessing that would reappear as it’s absence last year was a bit weird
(edited 5 years ago)
GUYSSSS I need help plssss
It's question 9
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/C2/Papers-Solomon/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20I%20QP%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdf
I found the area of the whole shape and equalled it to get y
My y was (90/x)-(9/5x) but the markscheme got 100/(x^2)
I then thought it was the volume...but how tf do you work out the volume?
Also the b part is area, but i did that before and it wasn't the same
Original post by ioWolfdinii
GUYSSSS I need help plssss
It's question 9
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/C2/Papers-Solomon/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20I%20QP%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdf
I found the area of the whole shape and equalled it to get y
My y was (90/x)-(9/5x) but the markscheme got 100/(x^2)
I then thought it was the volume...but how tf do you work out the volume?
Also the b part is area, but i did that before and it wasn't the same

IMG_7098.JPG idk if this makes sense but that's what i done, a bit much for a 3 marker tho
Thank you so much <3333!!!
So split, find volume of each one, then add it all up after?
Original post by ioWolfdinii
Thank you so much <3333!!!
So split, find volume of each one, then add it all up after?

Yh that’s what i done, whenever i see weird shapes i usually try and split it into something familiar, like yesterday’s parallelogram i split it into two triangles and a rectangle, because it’s only C1/2 level so they’re not gonna give us torturous shapes to work with
Yh that’s what i done, whenever i see weird shapes i usually try and split it into something familiar, like yesterday’s parallelogram i split it into two triangles and a rectangle, because it’s only C1/2 level so they’re not gonna give us torturous shapes to work with

Lol good thinking,, imma remember this more, I usually do the same but with 2D shapes, didn't know it could apply to 3D aswell But for yesterday area of parallelogram was base * height and finito!
C1 was basically different to the other past paper such as a question with y^0.5 something like that we‘ve never seen it before like that so I don’t know c2 will definitely be similar hard as most of those who retake these exams are resit sooo I don’t know how To revise
The y^0.5 was the same as sqrt y, and since x^2=y therefore x= sqrt y
so whatever you got for x, I believe you had to square your answer.
**only picked this up from doing solomon papers
I still felt it was abit easier than last year tho, i'm more worried about C2, i feel like it'll really screw us over.
However I suggest going through all the solomon papers, there aren't really much tho so its doable and after do some standard papers and you should be alright mate

Quick Reply

Latest