The Student Room Group

Oxbridge students

Has anyone got into oxbridge without showing their AS results.. because i did pretty bad but my college is willing to predict me AAA at Alevel and write on in the reference that I will be re sitting an AS subject to get in up to A/B (history i got a c). I am applying for medicine, which university would I have a better chance of getting interview/offer oxford or cambridge. my gcse results werent straight A* infact I got 1A* 6As 3Bs, I am applying to 3 london medical school and really just want to apply to oxbridge as my 4th option and I am not really bothered if i dont get in atleast I would have tried.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The answer is No.
If you try and hide your results oxbridge will know something's not right. If they think you are trying to hide something then they will assume its something very bad. Just be proud of your results whatever they are. If oxbridge don't take you some other uni will. Predicted grades mean very little. It is a known fact most school teachers get it wrong anyways.
Reply 2
s-k
OP
I have declined all my AS grades ..so I can't put them down even if I wanted to, okay so maybe applying to oxbridge is out of the question.
Reply 3
Just apply if you want to s-k! :smile:

No harm in trying :smile: If you get rejected then you get rejected. If you apply you still have a chance, if you don't apply then you have no chance! Unless of course you have another 4th choice that you can put down that you feel is more beneficial :smile:
Reply 4
They will only interview you if you BMAT score is good enough anyway, so what's the problem with your AS grades not being on the application? A number of schools do not cash in these grades in year 12 so unless your school ref actually mentions that you have declined your grades - as opposed to school policy is to cash-in grades - then as long as you have good GCSE's and a high BMAT score you stand as good a chance as any I should think.
Reply 5
s-k
OP
No i had a tough year, had to move into temporary accomodation over exam period ..and ill due to stress so really underachieved at AS.. but my college understand my situation and they know I am more then capable of getting AAAb + a (AS general studies) this year so are willing to explain on the reference.

I am applying to Imperial Kings UCl as I want to stay in london I have looked at other universities but I really wouldn't want to go there not mentioning any names. I would only move out of london if i got offer from oxford/cam.

I just wanted to know which i would have better chance would they both just look at my form see I havent put down any AS grades and throw it in the bin :frown:
I am positive I can impress them at interview and show my determination.
When I went to a medicine conference I met the Deans from Oxford and cambridge both said If you meet our minimum requirements then there is no reason for you not to apply. However, I dont really know if this is the case or not.

I also heard oxford look for students with allA* at Gcse more then Cambridge!
Reply 6
Geogger
They will only interview you if you BMAT score is good enough anyway, so what's the problem with your AS grades not being on the application? A number of schools do not cash in these grades in year 12 so unless your school ref actually mentions that you have declined your grades - as opposed to school policy is to cash-in grades - then as long as you have good GCSE's and a high BMAT score you stand as good a chance as any I should think.

I only thought that that was true of Oxford,ridge will interview the majority of and that Cambridge would interview the vast majority of applicants. That was last year though, so things could have changed. :smile:
Reply 7
Oxbridge will undoubtedly want to have some indication of how well you did in your exams and will most likely prefer to see AS results. Having only 4 choices for Medicine think carefully where you would like to go. If you have a free space then sure go for it and try for Oxbridge but becareful as it may be a wasted space leaving you with only 3 universities. I knew some people last year who applied for Medicine with very good grades and they still got rejected by all 4 universities (and they didn't even apply for oxbridge)!

Its tough but its probably all down to luck. The only thing you can do is try to increase your chances.

All the best. Sxx
Reply 8
s-k
OP
yeh I understand fully, but I rather have a rejection from oxbridge rather then have an offer from a medical school that I am not fully happy with and have to spend the next 5 years there.

If I received 4 rejections then I would merely apply the next year with hopefully having already my Alevels grades. Medicine is a very long degree so being a year behind doesn't affect me in the slightest although would be disappointed having to pay top up fees. :frown:
Reply 9
Yeah top up fees sound sucky. Well in reply to whether they will chuck your application in the bin....no-one really knows nor would they admit it. They will probably just say you weren't right because of XYZ.

Then i guess you have already answered your own question. You don't mind being rejected and if worst comes to worst you don't mind reapplying....So go for it.

P.S. Many people have said Oxford don't want to know individual marks, so that will probably be the best choice.Also, interviews there span over 3 days giving you time to charm them all. Best of luck!
Reply 10
s-k
yeh I understand fully, but I rather have a rejection from oxbridge rather then have an offer from a medical school that I am not fully happy with and have to spend the next 5 years there.

If I received 4 rejections then I would merely apply the next year with hopefully having already my Alevels grades. Medicine is a very long degree so being a year behind doesn't affect me in the slightest although would be disappointed having to pay top up fees. :frown:

I've heard that if you take a gap year you won't have to pay top up fees :smile:
You should go for it, since I get the feeling that if you don't try you will regret it. If you do well in the BMAT and prove your determination in the interview, then you have a decent chance! Best of luck :smile:
I said this somewhere else on the forum, but I'll repeat it again. I have heard it said that Oxford and Cambridge aren't really the best place for medicine anyway, so if you're more concerned with a good degree rather than a "better" degree (if that makes sense), then maybe another uni would be worth applying to.

..but then I don't know anything about medicine and all related, so you shouldn't listen to me :biggrin:
Acaila
I've heard that if you take a gap year you won't have to pay top up fees :smile:

I think you might have to apply this year and take a deferred entry to escape top-up fees. You might be liable if you apply post-A level next year. Worth checking.
Reply 14
gringalet
I have heard it said that Oxford and Cambridge aren't really the best place for medicine anyway, so if you're more concerned with a good degree rather than a "better" degree (if that makes sense), then maybe another uni would be worth applying to.

..but then I don't know anything about medicine and all related, so you shouldn't listen to me :biggrin:

well, yes & they're obviously the best place for those students who chose to apply & then accept offers there. :rolleyes: the course may not suit everyone - so look into this before you apply.

otherwise, the official oxford stance: AAA at A Level, calls for interview based on GCSE & BMAT (not AS), then borderline applicants are scrutinised in terms of reference/exenuating circumstances etc.

if you want to apply..why not? though the BMAT application deadline is september 30th, so presumably your UCAS must be in by then.
Reply 15
does anyone know how can someone apply to harverd uni?
Reply 16
s-k
I have declined all my AS grades ..so I can't put them down even if I wanted to, okay so maybe applying to oxbridge is out of the question.

wrong
they still go down on the questionnaire. there is just a box for u to tick the ones you are planning to resit

Also, whoever said the thing about gap years is correct. Assuming you are in yr 13 now, you will NOT have to pay top up fees whether or not you take a gap year.

At least, that is my understandin
Not sure if its been said yet but should you apply to Cambridge they ask for each of your individual module scores - this is partly to force the students hand (ie they can't hide substandard grades by declining). At least this was the situation last year, I don't know if its changed, and there was also talk of Oxford doing something similar.
as for top up fees the only ppl that are expempt are those who applied this year for defered entry. the top of fees do not depend on ur school year but rather the year in which u sent of ur ucas form

as for the grades - go for it - but make sure ur school metions that u had extrenuateing circumstances but feel u have the potential to get the required grades!!! universities are very understanding even if exam boards are not!!!!!!
Reply 19
shoka
does anyone know how can someone apply to harverd uni?

Wow... not only have you dug up a long dead thread, you have dug it up to post something completely off-topic. I take my hat off to you.

Latest

Trending

Trending