The Student Room Group

Liverpool or Manchester which is better? Pros and cons?

I've got an offer at Liverpool JM uni and Manchester Met doing Journalism or Journalism combined with English. I love the look of the courses equally. I want to know which city I might enjoy better socially. I've been to Manchester a bit but Liverpool also had an amazing feel. Anyone know pros and cons of the cities to help my decision ? Thank you ?
Original post by ArcticDisco2000
I've got an offer at Liverpool JM uni and Manchester Met doing Journalism or Journalism combined with English. I love the look of the courses equally. I want to know which city I might enjoy better socially. I've been to Manchester a bit but Liverpool also had an amazing feel. Anyone know pros and cons of the cities to help my decision ? Thank you ?

You should look at the ratings for each university. The times do ratings per subject. It is generally a good way to gage roughly where your prospective unis rank. (Although it's not always 100% accurate and some are student ranked, so it's not 'official' per se for some of them).

Generally, I always thought LJMU was better. In rankings, it seems to be top of the 'polytechnics'.

I have friends who went there and they loved it. A lot of my former colleagues also went there and loved it and they've got fantastic paying jobs.

I should say as well, I studied in both Liverpool and currently study in Manchester.
The price difference is ridiculous. Liverpool is significantly cheaper (accommodation, nights out etc).
Liverpool is also a big city, with loads to do, but it is a bit quieter than Manchester. Manchester often feels chaotic and really busy. Also, it has quite a stretched out city centre, whereas Liverpool is all in one 'zone' if you like.

I prefer Liverpool as a city, but obviously, you should visit and see for yourself.
In terms of cities, I find Liverpool to be a more friendly city with a better vibe. Manchester is great and there's a lot to do, but I find it quite depressing sometimes. Could partially be because it rains so much. For nightlife, Manchester is way better (WHP, Hidden). Liverpool still has great clubs but not quite the same level and not quite as consistently good. Liverpool does have a great bar scene though if you're more into that and less into djs.
To be honest, socially they're both great and you can't go wrong with either. But for me the music/dj scene in Manchester is better so that's why I'd favour it.
this is pathetic really. i am a university snob which is why i chose mine almost entirely on the basis of prestige (and it paid off), but my finance director colleague went to manchester met, but he did a degree in accounting and had loads of experience before he applied. stop being an idiot.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
this is pathetic really. i am a university snob which is why i chose mine almost entirely on the basis of prestige (and it paid off), but my finance director colleague went to manchester met, but he did a degree in accounting and had loads of experience before he applied. stop being an idiot.

So you're OK with university snobbery, but it's pathetic and idiotic when it affects people you know.

Also I am sick of hearing about your university, why you chose it and what's it done for you. Can't you find something a bit more interesting to say?
Original post by lizolove
I should say as well, I studied in both Liverpool and currently study in Manchester.
The price difference is ridiculous. Liverpool is significantly cheaper (accommodation, nights out etc).
Liverpool is also a big city, with loads to do, but it is a bit quieter than Manchester. Manchester often feels chaotic and really busy. Also, it has quite a stretched out city centre, whereas Liverpool is all in one 'zone' if you like.

I prefer Liverpool as a city, but obviously, you should visit and see for yourself.

Thank you this is actually helpful :smile:
Original post by showaeski
In terms of cities, I find Liverpool to be a more friendly city with a better vibe. Manchester is great and there's a lot to do, but I find it quite depressing sometimes. Could partially be because it rains so much. For nightlife, Manchester is way better (WHP, Hidden). Liverpool still has great clubs but not quite the same level and not quite as consistently good. Liverpool does have a great bar scene though if you're more into that and less into djs.
To be honest, socially they're both great and you can't go wrong with either. But for me the music/dj scene in Manchester is better so that's why I'd favour it.

Thank you this is helpful
Manchester 2. Liverpool 1
Well I wasn't asking for opinions on the universities I was was asking about the cities which is why I didn't mention which university in the title. I like both the courses equally and found them welcoming and the quality of the teaching very impressive which I didn't find at the University of's I attended. Most likely because its full of obnoxious people like yourself.
I don't know much about LJMU but I can say for certain that MMU is a decent Uni (for some of it's courses). If we're talking about rankings then MMU is 62nd whilst LJMU is 75th according to TCUG. However, if we go subject specific rankings then LJMU is placed 37th whereas MMU is placed 56th for Journalism.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

This links to the subject specific ranking for Journalism, Media Studies and Publicity(https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Communication+%26+Media+Studies).
Thank you this is actually helpful :smile:

Glad I could help - would definitely recommend spending the day there if you can. A big decision you don't want to make on a whim!
A lot of my uni friends came from small villages and Liverpool seemed massive from them, but Manchester is equally as big but a lot busier - probably why it's more expensive.
Depends on your preferences!
You'll probably find LJMU to be of a higher level of degeneracy than MMU.
Original post by Notoriety
So you're OK with university snobbery, but it's pathetic and idiotic when it affects people you know.

Also I am sick of hearing about your university, why you chose it and what's it done for you. Can't you find something a bit more interesting to say?

divulging my academic success and superiority is something you will have to get used to in the coming weeks and months.

i think if the OP was deciding between a red-brick and an ex-poly, youd be entitled to make a disparaging remark, but i think it's very insulting to make fun of the OPs choices, who is clearly not aiming for Cambridge or Imperial.
Hi!

Congratulations on your offers :smile:

From my personal experience as a student at MMU (4 years ago now, so things may have changed), there wasn't a lot of support on offer if you were unhappy. However, since day one at LJMU I have had academic, financial and personal support which has been easily accessible.

Both cities share pros and cons for me as a student. Both have two football teams which create a buzzing atmosphere when they play, Liverpool has the docks which is scenic to walk down and good for a drink but sometimes pricey, whilst Manchester has Salford Quays further out, but this doesn't share the same scenic views that Liverpool's Albert Dock has. Both Manchester and Liverpool have reliable and frequent transport systems, but Liverpool is smaller which means everything is in walking distance, even your house in second year. This is definitely a positive as it saves money on taxi and bus fares AND keeps you fit! Liverpool and Manchester vary in the music scene. Whilst Liverpool hosts a range of free music events with big names in its parks over the summer, Manchester has the edge with Parklife, WHP and of course, its homage to all the bands that came out of it in the 80s and 90s. Both cities offer the same shopping experience, although again it is quicker to get from one end to the other in Liverpool. Whilst the Trafford centre is beneficial, you still have to travel to it from the city centre which can take a while.

If you want a city that is easily accessible, cheap and easy to get from one end to the other then I suggest Liverpool. But I would advise looking at the ratings of the course content and employability after the course to help you make a decision, rather than making it solely on the city as Manchester and Liverpool are too similar. I hope this helps! Feel free to ask anything else below :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending