Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Next year I'll be going into my third year at Hull uni, I lived in halls in first year and now I'm privately renting. However, I'm spending a lot on accomodation and I wondered whether it would be cost-effective to live at home for my final year and drive there and back Monday to Friday. The commute is 1 hour from doncaster. If you were in this position, what would you do?

Depend on the time I'd have to be there at, would it affect social life, be a hassle etc.
    Could you not do some shared accomodation with friends to keep the cost down?
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Cost you can work out yourself. How much is petrol, parking and potential wear and tear going to cost? Is that lower than your rent? Also consider any lost student loan based on living at home vs living at uni.

From a more practical perspective though, do you really want to commute 2 hours every day? Especially if you only have a 1 hour class? You'll also miss out on a lot of uni related things like clubs and events, although if you've already lived in halls and private then your probably familiar with what the uni offers.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.