The Student Room Group

40 hours of driving

So far I have had 40 hours of driving and I’m still awful at it. I can’t do roundabouts and my instructor says still need to work on planning ahead and fix up on my basics. My friends done 12 hours and she’s ready for her test. We have the same instructor so It’s just me. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
So far I have had 40 hours of driving and I’m still awful at it. I can’t do roundabouts and my instructor says still need to work on planning ahead and fix up on my basics. My friends done 12 hours and she’s ready for her test. We have the same instructor so It’s just me. Any advice?

Hi, I haven’t passed my test yet but I’ve done around 30 hours and I really enjoy my lessons and feel like I’m quite good. I suppose some people are more suited to driving than others especially since you mentioned about your friend, but also some peoples teaching style isn’t for everyone so maybe try driving with a parent/sibling/different instructor for an hour to see if it’s any better. If not then I suggest watching YouTube videos and titkoks of advice from driving instructors and videos of live lessons- seems silly but seeing other peoples mistakes can help you realise your own! Good luck
Hey, you'll be fine!

I had a similar situation, I got near 40 hours and my instructor just turned to me one day and went "I don't think you're a natural driver" (it did hurt lol). Anyway she told me not to give up and it's why lessons exist, to teach you. You don't have to be perfect in any number of hours, lessons exist so you keep going and learn at a comfortable pace for you.

My instructor also taught my friend and he passed after 20 hours with 1 minor! I failed 3 practicals well beyond 70 hours of practice 😂

Driving isn't something you've ever done before so you don't know just how long it'll take you to get it "right" so don't beat yourself up over it. You don't even have to be perfect, just safe and competent enough to pass the test.

They say the first year of independent driving is where all the true learning happens, so look forward to that lol!

Good luck!! I know you've got this x
I've moved your thread to a more appropriate place in the forums.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending