The Student Room Group

Tv license inspector

I cancelled my tv license 1 month ago.They said a representative would knock on my door in 2 years time.But yesterday a tv inspector knocked on my door.I was happy to let him in as i have no television.He noticed that i had a laptop and said that he had a legal right to inspect it,and that if i refused i could end up in prison and be fined £1,000.I let him inspect it as i only watch you tube videos.He spent about 30 minutes opening files on my laptop.He was happy that i had not got BBC i player. But said that i couldn't prove that i haven't watched any live broadcasting.He said that if i am not forthcoming with the truth he will obtain a warrant. to seize my laptop and search my Bungalow.I don't know why he acted in this aggressive manner because i was polite to him all the time.My neighbour heard him shouting at me and started recording on his phone. Tv guy immediately left.Someone just told me that he isn't allowed to search my computer.Is he right ???????

Scroll to see replies

Yes I would be distraught if someone was so obtrusive.

I wouldn't pay for a TV license either when I'm a homeowner as I have no interest whatsoever in $hitty TV from the BBC.
Reply 2
Original post by Hirsty97
Yes I would be distraught if someone was so obtrusive.

I wouldn't pay for a TV license either when I'm a homeowner as I have no interest whatsoever in $hitty TV from the BBC.

You didn't answer my question.
Bruh.

First of all you don't have to let him in. If you simply tell them no, they legally have to leave.

Second of all you aren't obligated to open your laptop for them lmao

We had the inspector come in September. He asked to come in and we just said nope. He still hasn't come since. We had a TV and everything. Told him that too. Just said we use it for the Xbox (then told him he can't come in).
Yeah, that’s totally not right! You have no legal obligation to either let him in your home or search your laptop.

Also, if tv license don’t know the name of the legal occupier (presumably you) you don’t have to pay tv license unless you voluntarily release your personal details.
Reply 5
Original post by ArcticArcher
Yeah, that’s totally not right! You have no legal obligation to either let him in your home or search your laptop.

Also, if tv license don’t know the name of the legal occupier (presumably you) you don’t have to pay tv license unless you voluntarily release your personal details.

They already had my details because i cancelled the license,and i am waiting for a refund as i paid a year in advance.I felt i had nothing to worry about coz i don't have a tv.But if he acted unlawfully by using my laptop without finding anything incriminating,then i don't think i have anything to worry about.
Reply 6
Original post by lucabrasi98
Bruh.

First of all you don't have to let him in. If you simply tell them no, they legally have to leave.

Second of all you aren't obligated to open your laptop for them lmao

We had the inspector come in September. He asked to come in and we just said nope. He still hasn't come since. We had a TV and everything. Told him that too. Just said we use it for the Xbox (then told him he can't come in).

Well he said i have to show him my laptop as it is the law.I did dobt it when he said that,but i had nothing to worry about because he found nothing incriminating.
You don’t need to interact with anyone from TV Licensing in any way. You don’t need to respond to any of their letters or let them into your house. You certainly don’t need to let them do anything with your laptop. You can completely ignore them with absolutely no chance of any negative results. Providing you are within the letter of the law.
Reply 8
Original post by Duncan2012
You don’t need to interact with anyone from TV Licensing in any way. You don’t need to respond to any of their letters or let them into your house. You certainly don’t need to let them do anything with your laptop. You can completely ignore them with absolutely no chance of any negative results. Providing you are within the letter of the law.

Thanks for all the reply's and advice guys.
Do you think i should report him.
Original post by .Zigi
Thanks for all the reply's and advice guys.
Do you think i should report him.

Yes you should report him. He had no legal right to search your laptop at all. He should get sacked for that.
Original post by .Zigi
I cancelled my tv license 1 month ago.They said a representative would knock on my door in 2 years time.But yesterday a tv inspector knocked on my door.I was happy to let him in as i have no television.He noticed that i had a laptop and said that he had a legal right to inspect it,and that if i refused i could end up in prison and be fined £1,000.I let him inspect it as i only watch you tube videos.He spent about 30 minutes opening files on my laptop.He was happy that i had not got BBC i player. But said that i couldn't prove that i haven't watched any live broadcasting.He said that if i am not forthcoming with the truth he will obtain a warrant. to seize my laptop and search my Bungalow.I don't know why he acted in this aggressive manner because i was polite to him all the time.My neighbour heard him shouting at me and started recording on his phone. Tv guy immediately left.Someone just told me that he isn't allowed to search my computer.Is he right ???????

You dont have to let him in without a warrant.

Not up to you to prove you havent, its up to them to prove you have.

I dont believe he is allowed to inspect without your consent and it looks like he only received it by deception. Sounds like rubbish and I would consider making a complaint. No way would he have gotten a warrant.

Talk to CAB.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
You dont have to let him in without a warrant.

Not up to you to prove you havent, its up to them to prove you have.

I dont believe he is allowed to inspect without your consent and it looks like he only received it by deception. Sounds like rubbish and I would consider making a complaint. No way would he have gotten a warrant.

Talk to CAB.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/

Sorry for the lateness to your reply.
I phoned tv licensing again and told them the situation.They were very professional about it.They were very apologetic and concerned with the way the inspector acted.They confirmed he had no right to enter my property and no right to inspect my laptop and no right to threaten me with a fine and possible jail time.They wanted the name of the person in question but he didn't showed me no ID.They said they will follow this up with a company called capita or something like that,i cant remember.They also apologised for him even being there as he was 23 months too early lol.But all in all the tv licensing people i talked with on the phone were fantastic.

Once more,thanks to everyone for your invaluable advise and support.
Original post by .Zigi
Sorry for the lateness to your reply.
I phoned tv licensing again and told them the situation.They were very professional about it.They were very apologetic and concerned with the way the inspector acted.They confirmed he had no right to enter my property and no right to inspect my laptop and no right to threaten me with a fine and possible jail time.They wanted the name of the person in question but he didn't showed me no ID.They said they will follow this up with a company called capita or something like that,i cant remember.They also apologised for him even being there as he was 23 months too early lol.But all in all the tv licensing people i talked with on the phone were fantastic.

Once more,thanks to everyone for your invaluable advise and support.

Sounds like a good outcome to the story.

TV licensing is outsourced to Capita, which is a private company. You can find lots of stories online about their performance and the methods they use to intimidate people into doing things they don't need to do (as you've found). Personally I bin all their letters. Their record-keeping is terrible (again, you've seen this) so don't be surprised if you get a letter in a couple of months time saying 'our records show you don't have a tv licence, we need to visit to check...' You can safely bin that too.
Moved to advice on everyday issues
Reply 14
Original post by Duncan2012
Sounds like a good outcome to the story.

TV licensing is outsourced to Capita, which is a private company. You can find lots of stories online about their performance and the methods they use to intimidate people into doing things they don't need to do (as you've found). Personally I bin all their letters. Their record-keeping is terrible (again, you've seen this) so don't be surprised if you get a letter in a couple of months time saying 'our records show you don't have a tv licence, we need to visit to check...' You can safely bin that too.

I think i will be ok,to be fair they were friking livid about the conduct of that piece of crap.If they do turn up again i will definitely use your advice and the others who kindly posted.

Its a shame because i was a very trustworthy person,now i see everyone in a different light.again many thanks Duncan.
(edited 6 years ago)
right so i only have cable and internet no roof top ariel can they pick any of this up they have came to my bungalow at least 5 times to fit me an ariel every time i get the same answer we have not got a 50ft pole so can not provide me with a service but like a mug i was still paying the BBC which i refuse to do any longer over 20 years of paying them for nothing i can not even get a radio station on my hifi reception is that bad i think i will see them in court claim back over 20 yeas plus expenses
This makes no sense.
Can you apply some punctuation and logical flow?
Oh yes, and start a new thread, not hijack and old one.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by patrickjpmcmahon
right so i only have cable and internet no roof top ariel can they pick any of this up they have came to my bungalow at least 5 times to fit me an ariel every time i get the same answer we have not got a 50ft pole so can not provide me with a service but like a mug i was still paying the BBC which i refuse to do any longer over 20 years of paying them for nothing i can not even get a radio station on my hifi reception is that bad i think i will see them in court claim back over 20 yeas plus expenses

Why u posting on a ten month old thread
Original post by thestudent33
Why u posting on a ten month old thread

why are you i thought it was an open dicussion did not ee any dates
Original post by patrickjpmcmahon
why are you i thought it was an open dicussion did not ee any dates

You need to go back to primary school and learn how to structure sentences and spell words properly man :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending