The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature mock questions

Anyone know where I can find some mock questions for- Power + Conflict, Romeo + Juliet, A Christmas Carol and An Inspector Calls. Also, any timing advice or advice in general, looking for a grade 8.
Thanks
Original post by OkThanksBye
Anyone know where I can find some mock questions for- Power + Conflict, Romeo + Juliet, A Christmas Carol and An Inspector Calls. Also, any timing advice or advice in general, looking for a grade 8.
Thanks

Depending on your exam board, you can normally go on the website and find questions, with examplar answers and points to include.
I've been using the basic structure of 'Write about how [author] explores [theme, character etc] in [text]' because I've seen it come up quite a lot in mock exams and in-class responses.
For example, we had the following as homework a month or so ago 'Starting with this speech (Act 2 Scene 2, lines 62-78), write about how Shakespeare explores love in Romeo and Juliet. (30 marks, AO4 4 marks)' (my response is posted for critique somewhere if you're interested).
In regards to poetry, the only question we've been given to respond to is 'Compare how power is shown in Ozymandias and one other poem from the Power and Conflict section', (again, my response is posted on TSR if you want to look) and this format is wonderfully easy to use for the other poems in the cluster.
I'd hazard a guess that mrbruff has done some student exemplars that show a question too if you're interested in a what-you-could've-won type thing.
Original post by phanson1
I've been using the basic structure of 'Write about how [author] explores [theme, character etc] in [text]' because I've seen it come up quite a lot in mock exams and in-class responses.
For example, we had the following as homework a month or so ago 'Starting with this speech (Act 2 Scene 2, lines 62-78), write about how Shakespeare explores love in Romeo and Juliet. (30 marks, AO4 4 marks)' (my response is posted for critique somewhere if you're interested).
In regards to poetry, the only question we've been given to respond to is 'Compare how power is shown in Ozymandias and one other poem from the Power and Conflict section', (again, my response is posted on TSR if you want to look) and this format is wonderfully easy to use for the other poems in the cluster.
I'd hazard a guess that mrbruff has done some student exemplars that show a question too if you're interested in a what-you-could've-won type thing.

Ok thanks for that and what examples would you say to explore in addition to love
Original post by OkThanksBye
Ok thanks for that and what examples would you say to explore in addition to love

For Romeo and Juliet I'd say your themes are love, fate, family and marriage, honour and death. Any of these would work fine in that format. For characters you could say, for example, 'how Shakespeare presents Capulet as a good father' or 'how Romeo is explored through the theme of love'. Anything really that gets you making links between the characters, context and themes will probably prove useful.
Original post by phanson1
For Romeo and Juliet I'd say your themes are love, fate, family and marriage, honour and death. Any of these would work fine in that format. For characters you could say, for example, 'how Shakespeare presents Capulet as a good father' or 'how Romeo is explored through the theme of love'. Anything really that gets you making links between the characters, context and themes will probably prove useful.

Right, thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending