The Student Room Group

Student Bank Account

I already have a normal bank account opened but UCAS have given me the option of creating a student bank account. Do uni students recommend getting it? Is it worth it or should I just stick to having one bank account and use my bank account I have now?
Original post by tillycobley
I already have a normal bank account opened but UCAS have given me the option of creating a student bank account. Do uni students recommend getting it? Is it worth it or should I just stick to having one bank account and use my bank account I have now?

You usually get an interest free overdraft with our student bank account. Some will offer freebies such as a railcard too.
I'd advise getting one during the summer once you have confirmation that you're getting into university. Student accounts normally give you good benefits like 0% interest on your overdraft whilst your at university and also some times other perks! Plus you normally get a overdraft increase every year as well. Santander for example give you a rail card, HSBC gives you an amazon voucher etc and then a credit card as well. So really depends on what your current account is giving you compared to what your student account would give you. In most cases its more beneficial to get a student account.
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
You usually get an interest free overdraft with our student bank account. Some will offer freebies such as a railcard too.

Thank you so much, sounds like some good benefits!
Reply 4
Original post by XenChaotik
I'd advise getting one during the summer once you have confirmation that you're getting into university. Student accounts normally give you good benefits like 0% interest on your overdraft whilst your at university and also some times other perks! Plus you normally get a overdraft increase every year as well. Santander for example give you a rail card, HSBC gives you an amazon voucher etc and then a credit card as well. So really depends on what your current account is giving you compared to what your student account would give you. In most cases its more beneficial to get a student account.

Thank you! I've already accepted my firm and insurance choices but they're conditional, so should I still wait until I've gotten my results to make sure that I'm definitely in my firm choice?
Original post by tillycobley
Thank you! I've already accepted my firm and insurance choices but they're conditional, so should I still wait until I've gotten my results to make sure that I'm definitely in my firm choice?

Banks will only usually give you a student bank account as soon as it's confirmed that your going, so either when you have an unconditional or you've passed your conditonal requirements and the university has sent you a proper offer of attending. So after exam results in August.
Reply 6
Original post by XenChaotik
Banks will only usually give you a student bank account as soon as it's confirmed that your going, so either when you have an unconditional or you've passed your conditonal requirements and the university has sent you a proper offer of attending. So after exam results in August.

This has been really helpful, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending