The Student Room Group

Imperial College London vs ETH Zurich

Hi,

I've now received all of my decisions through UCAS, and will most likely firm Imperial and insurance either UCL or Edinburgh.

However, I am now considering applying for ETH Zurich. Is this a wise move? How does it compare in terms of teaching, research, international outlook etc. to Imperial for CS? Just looking for a few opinions on this.

(I am aware of the German language requirement)

Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Hello, I would say both are world-renowned institutions with excellent career prospects but there are other people that have more knowledge on the issue. However I have a question.
Are all undergraduate programs taught in German or can I study mathematics in English? I started thinking of ETH Zurich too, I would prefer studying in Switzerland instead of Britain but I do not know German
Reply 2
Original post by dell1234
Hello, I would say both are world-renowned institutions with excellent career prospects but there are other people that have more knowledge on the issue. However I have a question.
Are all undergraduate programs taught in German or can I study mathematics in English? I started thinking of ETH Zurich too, I would prefer studying in Switzerland instead of Britain but I do not know German

Hi,

It is my understanding that all undergraduate courses offered by ETH are delivered in German. However, I do believe most of the postgraduate courses are delivered in English, so perhaps the best course of action would be studying undergraduate at your UK university choice and postgraduate at ETH, giving you at least 3 years to learn German alongside your undergraduate course.

Thanks
I would say both are about equal - ETHZ might be a little more well known internationally, if anything...you'll have good opportunities at both. The deciding factor would probably be cost and location aspects - do you want to live and study in London (and can you afford to) vs the same in Switzerland. The language element may be a factor if you aren't 100% confident with your background in the relevant language(s) so, something to consider. Presuming you're comfortable in both German and English though, I'd suggest looking at the more qualitative aspects of living and studying in that place for however long.

I believe ETHZ has better exchange programmes within the EU at least though if you did want to add even more international experience to your undergraduate degree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending