The Student Room Group

HELP- How Do You Revise For History?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I'mCookieMonster
Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to revise for history (Edexcel) and I have just realised... I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO REVISE. I have got a timeline of the Cold War in my room and I am trying to learn facts but I'm finding it really hard to try and remember all the facts from all four topics that we have done (Superpower Relations and the Cold War, Early Elizabethan England, Crime and Punishment and Nazi Germany) and to get into the mindset of revising history because there is just so much to do!

If anyone has any tips or strategies that they could suggest I would be SO grateful- Thanks for helping a girl out :biggrin:

EDIT- Forgot to mention that I am currently studying at GCSE (IDK if that makes a difference or what)

Revising is simple. What you need to do is read for as long as you comfortably can then stop, your brain like the rest of your body gets tired and switches off. So you can keep reading but your, brain fails to take it in. it refuses. So I found reading for 45 minutes, to an hour was enough, but then put the book down for an hour or, two then read again kee doing this when you finish the book read it again. What I also used to do was speed read the first time then read it again and again. surprisingly my memory retained things I didn't even remember reading.
Reply 21
Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to revise for history (Edexcel) and I have just realised... I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO REVISE. I have got a timeline of the Cold War in my room and I am trying to learn facts but I'm finding it really hard to try and remember all the facts from all four topics that we have done (Superpower Relations and the Cold War, Early Elizabethan England, Crime and Punishment and Nazi Germany) and to get into the mindset of revising history because there is just so much to do!

If anyone has any tips or strategies that they could suggest I would be SO grateful- Thanks for helping a girl out :biggrin:

EDIT- Forgot to mention that I am currently studying at GCSE (IDK if that makes a difference or what)

So i know this is late but how well did u do
Hello everyone,

It can be overwhelming to revise for multiple history topics, but there are strategies you can use to make the process more manageable. One effective approach is to create a revision schedule that breaks down your revision into manageable chunks. You can allocate specific time periods to revise each topic and use a variety of revision techniques, such as creating flashcards or mind maps, to help you retain information. Additionally, try to focus on understanding key concepts and themes rather than just memorizing facts. This will help you make connections between topics and better understand the broader historical context. Finally, don't forget to take breaks and give yourself time to recharge. Good luck with your revision!
+254790510558
Reply 23
Original post by 999tigger
Yes it makes a difference it is GCSE, thanks for updating.

Phase 1 is have a revision timetable, so you are organised.
phase 2 is learning the material, which is notes, timelines and for History, hen mind mapping is ideal. You can supplement that with flash cards and watching youtube vids. You might also buy the revision note books.
Phase 3 is exam practice and technique where you put it to test. Do timed exams and they force you to remember. You dont have to write in longhand just do bullet point answers, but cut your time by 50-70%.

Practice, read marks scheme , see what you missed. Practice again. It will come together as long as you are consistent.
Practice a different subject every night.

Quite right but yo7 also need to read loads of books about the subject
Hello everyone,

Yoo hii ive got the the same problem. One method that works for me is to read. I dont mean boring old textbooks i mean actually interesting books frm libraries. I rly like reading, so ive found reading fiction about historical topics can really work for me.
Reply 25
I got an A grade for my IGCSE exams and I discovered that learning more about the personal history of the people within the timeline of history I was given helped me to be more interested in what role they played to make history and made it easier for me to actually study history and to draw up my own opinions about certain events in history. So I would suggest to watch biography videos of the significant people in the timeline of history you are reading, to keep you engaged before you can attempt to actually read the notes. It shades light onto the reasons why they acted like they did in the past by knowing more about their personal lives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending