The Student Room Group

friend plagiarised bits of my essay, pls help

One of my friends copied my essay, BITS of it and it came up plagiarised for him, I however had no idea and did not authorise him to take any help from my essay and I submitted my essay an entire day before him, will I fall into trouble? i am in my final year and this is the first time anything like thats ever happened to me, if im called up for plagiarism is there any chance of me getting away with it,
my friend has agreed to own up to it himself and tell them that i wasnt involved at all and had no idea about it, he will tell them that if only we are called out for plagiarism, so what do you guys think

Scroll to see replies

I was in the same situation as well in college one of my friend was failing really bad so I showed her my work she was really grateful about it, took some pictures to "help her" at home and next thing you know she copies it all, when I found out I went straight to the teacher and told her about it next thing you know she blames me for copying her! anyway she failed the whole essay! they honestly deserve it, but for you depends if you get caught as well forget your friend think about your own life and effort that you put into it and come clean and tell the truth anyway its not your fault that your friend couldn't be bothered doing their own essay!
Original post by demamp
my friend has agreed to own up to it himself and tell them that i wasnt involved at all and had no idea about it, he will tell them that if only we are called out for plagiarism, so what do you guys think

Do you really think he will own up? considering he has a lot to lose?
Reply 3
Original post by Help Me...
Do you really think he will own up? considering he has a lot to lose?

thanks for the reply, yes one thing for sure is that he would own up, ive got it all on text as well and ive told him if he doesnt, im gonna show the texts and emails with him agreeing to own up to it,

if you dont mind me asking what penalty did you receive at the end ?
if i am called up for plagiarism/collusion, im gonna claim that i had no idea and clearly told him not to use any of my work and show all the text messages saying hes at fault and he shouldnt have done it, this proves that i had no idea about it doesnt it ?
submitted it day before so i guess ill find out in a week or two
Original post by demamp
One of my friends copied my essay, BITS of it and it came up plagiarised for him, I however had no idea and did not authorise him to take any help from my essay and I submitted my essay an entire day before him, will I fall into trouble? i am in my final year and this is the first time anything like thats ever happened to me, if im called up for plagiarism is there any chance of me getting away with it,

Tricky.

You shouldnt be sharing your essay with him and you could be guilty of collusion.

Go and see student advisor, but I would start thinking about being called up.

Put all your drafts and research to one side to prove you were the creator. It may be obvious if it was out of character/ style for your friend, but yours was consistent.

You will need to have a rough idea of what your defence will be.

First offence then you may get away with a warning.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by demamp
thanks for the reply, yes one thing for sure is that he would own up, ive got it all on text as well and ive told him if he doesnt, im gonna show the texts and emails with him agreeing to own up to it,

if you dont mind me asking what penalty did you receive at the end ?
if i am called up for plagiarism/collusion, im gonna claim that i had no idea and clearly told him not to use any of my work and show all the text messages saying hes at fault and he shouldnt have done it, this proves that i had no idea about it doesnt it ?
submitted it day before so i guess ill find out in a week or two

I didn't receive any penalty but only just, I think because the fact that I was honest and on top of that being blamed by her it sort of made my argument more stronger, but all what you could do now is just hope for the best and keep that evidence secure.

Original post by 999tigger
Tricky.

You shouldnt be sharing your essay with him and you could be guilty of collusion.

Go and see student advisor, but I would start thinking about being called up.

Put all your drafts and research to one side to prove you were the creator. It may be obvious if it was out of character/ style for your friend, but yours was consistent.

You will need to have a rough idea of what your defence will be.

First offence then you may get away with a warning.

This advice is really good just be ready and hope for the best! :u:
If it's been flagged as plagiarism for him then they'll know that it matches your work (unless you plagiarised from somewhere yourself, but I'll assume that didn't happen). You'll almost certainly get called for an interview. You're lucky you've got texts/email evidence to defend yourself.

As a finalist you really should know better than to do stupid stuff like this by now.
I have no sympathy. I love my friends and I will always help them but if you are stupid enough to show them your own work thats a you problem. I will not jeopardise my work like that.

As for you, I think the only thing you can do is tell your teacher and hope they believe you. Try have some evidence like your essay edits?
Original post by demamp

1. Get rid of that 'friend'. I very much doubt he'll own up to it all in the heat of the moment.
2. You will be spoken to as it's against the rules to share your work with other students anyway, for this reason. My uni treats our work as confidential documents.
3. You may get a caution as it's your first case of plagiarism, though they may be a bit tougher on you because you're in your final year and you should know better.
Original post by Help Me...
I was in the same situation as well in college one of my friend was failing really bad so I showed her my work she was really grateful about it, took some pictures to "help her" at home and next thing you know she copies it all, when I found out I went straight to the teacher and told her about it next thing you know she blames me for copying her! anyway she failed the whole essay! they honestly deserve it, but for you depends if you get caught as well forget your friend think about your own life and effort that you put into it and come clean and tell the truth anyway its not your fault that your friend couldn't be bothered doing their own essay!

woah were you able to prove she was lying (with texts and stuff)?
Oh that’s a tough one.

Firstly, I would suggest you don’t take his word as gospel with regards to owning up. If he’s sneaky enough to try and cheat, he’s probably sneaky enough to drop you in it.

Secondly, you could be held partially to blame for not protecting your work better. Specifically, how did he get access to it? Did you share it, send it or show it to him? If so, you could be held accountable for being irresponsible.

I know this isn’t a positive answer, but I think you need to be prepared. I would suggest you email your personal tutor ASAP and go and talk to them. Don’t be afraid to put the blame in your “friend”’s court. He has put your degree in jeopardy. I would also advise you to be honest. If you did show him, tell them you were naive and stupid to have done it. If I were a tutor, I’d be more sympathetic and willing to support you if you were completely honest with me.

Good luck!
As an afterthought, be aware that they will probably re-run all your past assessments through their anti-plagiarism software too. That’s another reason why you need to be as honest and cooperative as possible with them now.
(edited 6 years ago)
Happened with two people i knew at Bangor, both busted and failed.
Original post by demamp

Never share your work with anyone, no matter how desperate they may be to "see your work just for a minute". Just make sure you can prove you were the author of the work.
Original post by demamp

It is strange how the system says you plagiarized his work especially since you handed yours in before. I'd tell you teacher/tutor about this issue.

P.S. Learn from this and don't let people see your work. Like you, I learn't this the hard way.
Original post by demamp

its likely you will be ok there may be a hearing but as you say you submitted it first so you are problem not going to get anything he however having submitted it second doesn't look good for him at all.
Original post by demamp

If your friend admits his guilt, he will try to show you his sincerely good intentions by vindicating his misdeed. Of course, even if he does this, it will not guarantee the easy way out. Apparently, you have to prove your authorship, but if you're a Genuine author, it shouldn't be complicated. Well, it would be good to find some advanced lie detector to reveal the truth. And as for your friend, people learn from mistakes, so I wouldn't advise getting rid of him: give him a second chance instead.
People don't appear to understand that unless the friend stole this work, they were allowed access to it. That makes the OP guilty of collusion, which is a serious offence in itself. Pick friends carefully and any friend capable of stealing and putting you at risk will also be prepared to tell a different story to the authorities as they have nothing to lose.
Hi OP,

I've been in a similar situation.

My lecturers actually encourage us to work together when doing assignments for support etc (but explicitly states that does not mean he expects 60 identical assignments).

Others have given similar advice and I'd agree with them. Your friend has nothing to lose - but you do.
Reply 19
Crucify them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending