The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

How are you finding this University?

I am thinking to study BSc PSYCHOLOGY WITH PLACEMENT YEAR in Reading.
I wanted to see if there are anyone here, who may potentially study psychology here, and I want to hear their thoughts about the course?

I am a bit stuck because I have a choice to study MPsych within Plymouth.
This means I will be able to get a master level qualification at the same time I would have finished the reading course. This is tempting. Also, SF would provide financing for this course.
Original post by CertifiedRaccoon
I am thinking to study BSc PSYCHOLOGY WITH PLACEMENT YEAR in Reading.
I wanted to see if there are anyone here, who may potentially study psychology here, and I want to hear their thoughts about the course?

I am a bit stuck because I have a choice to study MPsych within Plymouth.
This means I will be able to get a master level qualification at the same time I would have finished the reading course. This is tempting. Also, SF would provide financing for this course.

Hi,

It is fantastic to hear that you are considering the Psychology with Placement Year Course here at Reading.
I myself am currently on the Msci Applied Psychology Course, which is up to Third year identical to this course, before moving off into a primary clinical focus.

In my opinion, I am loving it here at Reading, I do thoroughly enjoy living here at Reading and being part of this university. With one of the main reasons for this is our Psychology Department which is home of some great Clinical Facilities (AnDY, CINN, CoA - check out the Reading Website for more about these clinics) as well as engaging and passionate staff.

The courses we offer here are also very broad, varying from the straight Psychology course (with or without a placement) to a Clinical Focused course, with NHS qualification included (the MSCI) as well as other joint honors. If you are interested in doing Master's level study within your UG studies, I would highly suggest exploring our MSCI course (Applied Psychology [Clinical], as this similarly includes a Master's level degree year. I would note this is different from the MPSYCH at Plymouth, however it is definitely a unique course.

With the placement course itself offers you the chance to develop some extremely core skills and experiences which commonly you would not get to experience until graduation. With many employers from different background now asking for at least 12-24 months of experience before hiring. With some of our placements being completed in-house within our departments clinics and centers.

I hope this goes some ways to helping you, please let us know if you have any further questions!

Tom :smile:
Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by UniofReading
Hi,

It is fantastic to hear that you are considering the Psychology with Placement Year Course here at Reading.
I myself am currently on the Msci Applied Psychology Course, which is up to Third year identical to this course, before moving off into a primary clinical focus.

In my opinion, I am loving it here at Reading, I do thoroughly enjoy living here at Reading and being part of this university. With one of the main reasons for this is our Psychology Department which is home of some great Clinical Facilities (AnDY, CINN, CoA - check out the Reading Website for more about these clinics) as well as engaging and passionate staff.

The courses we offer here are also very broad, varying from the straight Psychology course (with or without a placement) to a Clinical Focused course, with NHS qualification included (the MSCI) as well as other joint honors. If you are interested in doing Master's level study within your UG studies, I would highly suggest exploring our MSCI course (Applied Psychology [Clinical], as this similarly includes a Master's level degree year. I would note this is different from the MPSYCH at Plymouth, however it is definitely a unique course.

With the placement course itself offers you the chance to develop some extremely core skills and experiences which commonly you would not get to experience until graduation. With many employers from different background now asking for at least 12-24 months of experience before hiring. With some of our placements being completed in-house within our departments clinics and centers.

I hope this goes some ways to helping you, please let us know if you have any further questions!

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.
I actually did have a look at the MSCI course (Applied Psychology [Clinical], and I immediately was attracted towards it. However, sadly, I did not meet the entry requirements, as it requires all three "English, Maths and Science" to be at least a B grade.
I had thought the BSc Psychology with a professional placement year course would be a nice substitute.
But, I found other courses that offer more than this course - a masters and a placement.

I do really like the nature that surrounds Plymouth to.

What about Reading that is gripping me in right now is the connections the universities have. These connections will, for sure, make my life easier. Reading is right next to London to. Thinking about the clinics, and the convenience of Reading as a whole does give a relief.

I do have a question about the professional placement: how much does a professional placement realistically matter?
I had seen some entry requirements for doctorates that asks for experience that does not come from a placement.
Would it not be infinitely better to find experience after I had received a masters?

I must add that I have a lot of trust with my independent learning, which is why I value uni ratings a little less than most people.
(I am also trying to find an answer to "does it matter where you get a degree" from someone that is qualified. Most answers I find seems to be answered from students)

Again, thanks for the quick response!
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.
I actually did have a look at the MSCI course (Applied Psychology [Clinical], and I immediately was attracted towards it. However, sadly, I did not meet the entry requirements, as it requires all three "English, Maths and Science" to be at least a B grade.
I had thought the BSc Psychology with a professional placement year course would be a nice substitute.
But, I found other courses that offer more than this course - a masters and a placement.

I do really like the nature that surrounds Plymouth to.

What about Reading that is gripping me in right now is the connections the universities have. These connections will, for sure, make my life easier. Reading is right next to London to. Thinking about the clinics, and the convenience of Reading as a whole does give a relief.

I do have a question about the professional placement: how much does a professional placement realistically matter?
I had seen some entry requirements for doctorates that asks for experience that does not come from a placement.
Would it not be infinitely better to find experience after I had received a masters?

I must add that I have a lot of trust with my independent learning, which is why I value uni ratings a little less than most people.
(I am also trying to find an answer to "does it matter where you get a degree" from someone that is qualified. Most answers I find seems to be answered from students)

Again, thanks for the quick response!

Hi again,
So, it is really understandable that the entry requirements do deter you from this course, it is really understandable as this course is different from most other courses. As this course skips Year 3 in favour of master's courses (sort of very complicated I can go into more detailed if required).

Primarily I will entirely agree, Reading itself has a huge amount of connections both internally and externally, nationally and internationally meaning that in Psychology you are catered for from all fronts. This however does not mean you can not find them elsewhere, you are right though, it does make things easier.

So with the placement I view it as offering two core benefits
1) It helps you gain experience in a field you *may* want to go into upon graduation - this almost gives you a test run of what you could do in terms of Research, Clinical experiences etc. Meaning that if at the end of the placement you decide never again will I want to work in that field then you have lost less than in the real work
2) You gain a huge amount of skills, contacts and foundation from working in industry. You can gain only so much from an academic learning environment and there reaches a stage where no matter how much you learn about Psychological Treatments, Neuroscience, Specific Conditions (etc, etc, etc), you will never understand them until you bring them into a real life situation.

So for me, placements offer you a chance to explore, connect and develop you understanding of the *real* world.

So. Doctorates.
Given you are considering the D.Clin.Psy there are a few interesting points to make surrounding this:
1) Competition - competition for these programs is EXTREMELY High, meaning that only once you have a few years under your belt can you really get a chance to advance onto one - however apply as often as you can!
2) Progression - Once you have this Doctorate that is sort of it. Other than clinical work as a team leader in an NHS practice or Research, many people find they can not get much further simply as there is little to go beyond. This however means that if you apply at 30-35 rather than 21-25 you are able to progress in other aspects of your career before expanding. - Really only my opinion here, but it is something I am strongly considering.

Overall it is really up to you when it comes to experience and education, some people prefer education then experience, others prefer a mix of both, some prefer something else. It is really about working out what You want to achieve and working out how to get there.

So finally - I'd like to say I am a student, so when it comes to finding a degree program you want to study on, the comment I will always make is. Find a course you want to do well on. Do it for the research and teaching you'll receive because that is what you will get your 1st on. You can go to any University, but if you hate it, you won't do well.
This often raises the question - how will I know if I will hate it.
To this I say - look at the modules, what interests you and what would you want to do as a final year project and find which uni matches your goal!

Sorry this is a long reply.... but I hope it helps
Let me know if you have any further questions!

Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador.
Hi again,
So, it is really understandable that the entry requirements do deter you from this course, it is really understandable as this course is different from most other courses. As this course skips Year 3 in favour of master's courses (sort of very complicated I can go into more detailed if required).

Primarily I will entirely agree, Reading itself has a huge amount of connections both internally and externally, nationally and internationally meaning that in Psychology you are catered for from all fronts. This however does not mean you can not find them elsewhere, you are right though, it does make things easier.

So with the placement I view it as offering two core benefits
1) It helps you gain experience in a field you *may* want to go into upon graduation - this almost gives you a test run of what you could do in terms of Research, Clinical experiences etc. Meaning that if at the end of the placement you decide never again will I want to work in that field then you have lost less than in the real work
2) You gain a huge amount of skills, contacts and foundation from working in industry. You can gain only so much from an academic learning environment and there reaches a stage where no matter how much you learn about Psychological Treatments, Neuroscience, Specific Conditions (etc, etc, etc), you will never understand them until you bring them into a real life situation.

So for me, placements offer you a chance to explore, connect and develop you understanding of the *real* world.

So. Doctorates.
Given you are considering the D.Clin.Psy there are a few interesting points to make surrounding this:
1) Competition - competition for these programs is EXTREMELY High, meaning that only once you have a few years under your belt can you really get a chance to advance onto one - however apply as often as you can!
2) Progression - Once you have this Doctorate that is sort of it. Other than clinical work as a team leader in an NHS practice or Research, many people find they can not get much further simply as there is little to go beyond. This however means that if you apply at 30-35 rather than 21-25 you are able to progress in other aspects of your career before expanding. - Really only my opinion here, but it is something I am strongly considering.

Overall it is really up to you when it comes to experience and education, some people prefer education then experience, others prefer a mix of both, some prefer something else. It is really about working out what You want to achieve and working out how to get there.

So finally - I'd like to say I am a student, so when it comes to finding a degree program you want to study on, the comment I will always make is. Find a course you want to do well on. Do it for the research and teaching you'll receive because that is what you will get your 1st on. You can go to any University, but if you hate it, you won't do well.
This often raises the question - how will I know if I will hate it.
To this I say - look at the modules, what interests you and what would you want to do as a final year project and find which uni matches your goal!

Sorry this is a long reply.... but I hope it helps
Let me know if you have any further questions!

Don't be sorry for the long reply, it is something i should be thankful for!
This does help.
The entry requirements were more of a "you are unable to apply for this course" rather than a deterrent.
The universities stick to the entry requirements when it comes to GCSE's no?
Would there had been a possibility for me be eligible to apply or was a resit for GCSE's required.
I would not have been interested with a resit.

Thanks for the help Tom. I do appreciate it.
I was also wondering if you could inform me if there are any film productions clubs at the uni of Reading, as well as, maybe, a violin club?
Don't be sorry for the long reply, it is something i should be thankful for!
This does help.
The entry requirements were more of a "you are unable to apply for this course" rather than a deterrent.
The universities stick to the entry requirements when it comes to GCSE's no?
Would there had been a possibility for me be eligible to apply or was a resit for GCSE's required.
I would not have been interested with a resit.

Thanks for the help Tom. I do appreciate it.
I was also wondering if you could inform me if there are any film productions clubs at the uni of Reading, as well as, maybe, a violin club?

Hi,
So given these questions it would be best to contact our admissions team as they would be best to support you in these questions. These can be contacted through the weblink below.

https://www.reading.ac.uk/forms/crm/question.aspx

So Clubs and Societies:
To Date (03/18): We have a Film Society, which may have done past technical work in producing films; - your best bet is to look at the Reading University Student Unions Website as this will detail the work this society does as well as who you could ask for more information about this.
Similarly to date we don't have a Violin Society, however we do have a music society which does do orchestra concerts and plays for our Musicals also. But again check out the Reading University Students Union for more information.

To add also, from your message:
Typically people are rare to move from a placement course straight onto the DClinPsy as through having experience you can gain a better understanding of psychology and the clinical field - and that it is something you want go into. In terms of clinics and links, at this stage I couldn't comment, as people can go on to do so much with a degree in Psychology that it is hard to keep track! However the careers support we receive here at Reading is extremely good, and prides itself with its connects and graduate support.

Hi,
So given these questions it would be best to contact our admissions team as they would be best to support you in these questions. These can be contacted through the weblink below.

https://www.reading.ac.uk/forms/crm/question.aspx

So Clubs and Societies:
To Date (03/18): We have a Film Society, which may have done past technical work in producing films; - your best bet is to look at the Reading University Student Unions Website as this will detail the work this society does as well as who you could ask for more information about this.
Similarly to date we don't have a Violin Society, however we do have a music society which does do orchestra concerts and plays for our Musicals also. But again check out the Reading University Students Union for more information.

To add also, from your message:
Typically people are rare to move from a placement course straight onto the DClinPsy as through having experience you can gain a better understanding of psychology and the clinical field - and that it is something you want go into. In terms of clinics and links, at this stage I couldn't comment, as people can go on to do so much with a degree in Psychology that it is hard to keep track! However the careers support we receive here at Reading is extremely good, and prides itself with its connects and graduate support.

Thank you Tom. You have been a great help.
On a more personal note, I am a bit curious on why you choose to be an official rep and answer questions?
Thank you Tom. You have been a great help.
On a more personal note, I am a bit curious on why you choose to be an official rep and answer questions?

Hi,
I am glad I have been able to help, please let me know if you have any additional questions!

So there is actually a group of us who monitor this page, we are all students who simply want to support and ensure questions are answered, as sometimes this is just the best place to get those answers you couldn't get on open/visit days or just didn't know how to ask!

Hi,
I am glad I have been able to help, please let me know if you have any additional questions!

So there is actually a group of us who monitor this page, we are all students who simply want to support and ensure questions are answered, as sometimes this is just the best place to get those answers you couldn't get on open/visit days or just didn't know how to ask!

Hi Tom.

I was wondering if you can inform me the advantages BSc Psychology course with placement has over the MSci Applied Psychology apart from entry requirements and the optional modules?
Also, the "what you will study" page for MSci Applied Psychology is pretty vague:

WHAT WILL YOU STUDY?

"This four-year course is made up of a number of compulsory modules that will give you a strong background in the subject, as well as optional modules that let you explore your own interests.
You'll have the opportunity to undertake a practical placement, or in some cases several placements, that will allow you to put your skills into practice.
You'll also have the option to study open modules from other subjects, including a range of languages through the Institution-Wide Language Programme."

Are you able to expand on this?

Kind Regards,
Hi Tom.

I was wondering if you can inform me the advantages BSc Psychology course with placement has over the MSci Applied Psychology apart from entry requirements and the optional modules?
Also, the "what you will study" page for MSci Applied Psychology is pretty vague:

WHAT WILL YOU STUDY?

"This four-year course is made up of a number of compulsory modules that will give you a strong background in the subject, as well as optional modules that let you explore your own interests.
You'll have the opportunity to undertake a practical placement, or in some cases several placements, that will allow you to put your skills into practice.
You'll also have the option to study open modules from other subjects, including a range of languages through the Institution-Wide Language Programme."

Are you able to expand on this?

Kind Regards,

Hi!
So, what I will outline now is the current differences which apply to the 2018/19 intake, and may change for later years. However come along to our Open Day to get more direct information on the differences.

Basic info - BSC (with Placement) 3 years + 1 Placement Year (done between Part 2-3. This placement can be completed in any industry related to Psychology - Previous placements have included the clinics on site, research assistants, and many many others. Overall however this is identical to the BSC normal course with just a placement year.

Basic info - Msci 4 years. Year 1 + 2 are identical (to my knowledge) minus one module in part 2 (which is an introduction to CBT), to the standard BSC course. Part 3 is then an NHS training course to become a Psychological Well-being Practitioner (PWP). Before Part 4 being a Master level Year, where you can complete Master's level course in Psychology.

For more specific details check out the Reading University Website:
http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/psychology-ug.aspx

Overall the courses are very different, through the MSci it will give you a very specific clinical background which allows you to transition into a Graduate Job in clinical psychology very easily. (PWP is typically a good stepping stone towards the DClinPsy). Whereas if you want to remain general, the Placement course is perfect as you can do this in many different industries!

I hope this helps, let me know if this expands enough for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending