The Student Room Group

Nursing

What unis are good for nursing? I’m not from the uk so struggling to know which are best for the course, campuses, area etc
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Holl111
What unis are good for nursing? I’m not from the uk so struggling to know which are best for the course, campuses, area etc

It’s subjective really because it depends on what you like and what you want from a university. Standards for education are set and accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) so it shouldn’t matter where you get your qualification from. As for approaches to teaching, assessment methods etc, these may vary slightly between places.

It’s usually wise to visit places and see if you could see yourself studying there, nursing courses require that you spend longer at uni/on placement than most traditional courses and many students stay local to their uni on graduation, so it makes sense to go somewhere you’ll like living in. You say you’re not from the UK, do you live here now? Student finance may be something else you’ll need to consider, depending on residency (I don’t know loads about this I’m afraid).
Original post by Holl111

It really depends on what you are looking for and what feels right for you. As mentioned already, if you are currently in the UK and can take a look at some universities that offer the nursing route you want to go into, definitely book onto open days to explore both the campus and the town/city it is based in. If you are not in the UK, use as much info from university websites as possible. A lot of them will offer virtual events to give you an insight into how that course is taught and the campus, and there may also be virtual campus tours you can take too.
If a chat with an academic would be useful to you, I would also recommend contacting the universities you might be interested in and asking if you can speak to an academic teaching on the course. Our nursing academics are always happy to speak to people over the phone or via email who are interested in nursing but unable to visit at open days etc to tell them more about the course, how placements work and the areas you will be in.

I hope that's helpful! 🙂
^^^ This is great advice!

Lots of universities (including us!) offer fantastic Nursing courses. The best way to see them all in one place is to go to the UCAS website and search 'nursing'. Here you'll be able to find all the universities offering the course you're interested in and from there you can go to the individual university website to find out more about he course they offer. A good tip to remember is that each university course is different! You can find out more about the modules taught, entry requirements and how assessments take place by visiting the course pages.

Open days are the best way to see the campus and speak to academics and current students. Its a great chance to get a real feel for the place before deciding if this is where you want to study. Seeing the facilities on offer and where the campus is located is also a really important part of your decision making, open days give you the opportunity to explore the local area and see what it has to offer. University doesn't just stop at the teaching - there are lots of opportunities to join fun clubs and societies and get involved in great activities alongside your studies. You can find out more about them at open days too along with what support is available, housing options and finance information.

We hope this helps you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending