The Student Room Group

Applying for job without the required techincal skill

I really want to try a different area of my industry. I currently work in the molecular diagnostics industry and want to try my hand at a job that's related to microbiology. Although I don't have the microbiology technical skills I have a variety of transferable skills. Unfortunately all the jobs near me seem to be micro rather than molecular. I feel trapped in my current industry. I've been at my current job for 5 years. I wish I had moved to micro a few years ago. The only micro experience I have is modules at Uni and that was about 9 years ago.

Am really hesitant about whether I should try applying for these jobs and see what happens. I could probably ******** the interview but worried I'd get found out if I get employed. Am a quick learner, practical skill wise so I just need that one chance.
Original post by Negotiator
I really want to try a different area of my industry. I currently work in the molecular diagnostics industry and want to try my hand at a job that's related to microbiology. Although I don't have the microbiology technical skills I have a variety of transferable skills. Unfortunately all the jobs near me seem to be micro rather than molecular. I feel trapped in my current industry. I've been at my current job for 5 years. I wish I had moved to micro a few years ago. The only micro experience I have is modules at Uni and that was about 9 years ago.

Am really hesitant about whether I should try applying for these jobs and see what happens. I could probably ******** the interview but worried I'd get found out if I get employed. Am a quick learner, practical skill wise so I just need that one chance.

All you can do is apply and find out. There may be smaller firms who are looking for someone to train and who will fit into their team. You can also consider OU or other courses which can help you gain some additional lab experience or maybe even a voluntary placement.
Original post by Negotiator

You should always apply if you have 80% or more of the skills asked for in a job. And really, don't be too swayed by long lists of 'essential' skills. Often one or two might be properly essential, but more often there is a list of 6-10 and they aren't really essential for the right candidate. Just focus on the transferable skills and try and match as much of the language in the JD as possible in your applications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending