The Student Room Group

Routes to get into IT Support

Hi

What are the potential ways to get into IT Support please.
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi Mohammed - I would seriously consider technical qualifications or even just applying to entry-level IT jobs. My last role was in IT, without any real qualifications or experience. Between learning on the job and my experience from my personal interest in computing, it went fine.

You could look into Digital T-Levels or apprenticeships in IT departments if you'd like something a bit more guided.

Also, take a look at IT job postings online - there are always tons, because it's such a key role these days. Specifically, look at the requirements and find out which qualifications or skills you could plan to pick up soon. You could even ring up and chat with the hiring manager about what they're really looking for.

Best wishes,
Matthew (Yipiyap gap year rep)
Original post by Yipiyap_Matthew
Hi Mohammed - I would seriously consider technical qualifications or even just applying to entry-level IT jobs. My last role was in IT, without any real qualifications or experience. Between learning on the job and my experience from my personal interest in computing, it went fine.

You could look into Digital T-Levels or apprenticeships in IT departments if you'd like something a bit more guided.

Also, take a look at IT job postings online - there are always tons, because it's such a key role these days. Specifically, look at the requirements and find out which qualifications or skills you could plan to pick up soon. You could even ring up and chat with the hiring manager about what they're really looking for.

Best wishes,
Matthew (Yipiyap gap year rep)

Hey Matthew,

What do you mean by technical qualifications? Where are the best websites for entry level IT Jobs please? I think apprenticeships can be ruled out because every provider I been in contact with has said I’m overly-qualified

I’m seriously considering a career change at the moment because I feel as though my hands are restricted and retained from gaining a entry into the field I seriously wish to pursue a career in that I actively held a passion as a child and have studied from A levels right till now.
I'd always start with Google Jobs, and if you don't have a LinkedIn profile yet, make one! Start connecting with IT businesses near you and check out their postings.

Also, don't be afraid to send in a speculative application - ping over an email, ring up, or even knock on the door if you're close enough. If you seem like a good candidate and there's a job opening up, lots of companies will be happy to skip the (expensive) advertising and interviewing procedure and give you a chance.

Technical qualifications will entirely depend on the jobs you're looking at. Look at some job descriptions, and if there's anything you're not qualified for, figure out why. Look at the skills they're looking for. This will also come out of conversations with employers and unsuccessful applications - these are all great info on what you need to do to land the job.
In IT, there's really two big things (in my view, anyway): broader skills like coding languages, and more specific skills like being able to use a bit of corporate software (e.g. Microsoft Azure).
I think the IT industry is one with tons of resources available for self-teaching online. For example, I've used Codecademy to brush up on more general technical skills for work. If a bit of software is in demand, you could even see if you're able to access it as an individual to get familiar with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending