The Student Room Group

HELP!!!What type of university research/prep should you be doing in yr 12?

im in year 12 and im already trudging on with my as revision, but i just wanted to know what type of university prep or research should i be taking part in?
For example what sort of roles or activities should i be doing, when do i start going to open days, what activities or achievements are good for my personal statement as well as unique?
Reply 1
Original post by ImReady!
im in year 12 and im already trudging on with my as revision, but i just wanted to know what type of university prep or research should i be taking part in?
For example what sort of roles or activities should i be doing, when do i start going to open days, what activities or achievements are good for my personal statement as well as unique?

hey,
so it depends on what you're planning on doing, but mainly work experience is key! Eg if you're gonna do medicine go out and find anywhere that you can do some work experience such a hospitals, GPs, pharmaceuticals etc.. really just anywhere that's hospitality based. this will really help to boost your personal statement, and unis love variety - so get your hands on anything that you can!
in terms of uni prep etc, if you havent yet started, do some research into unis that firstly do your course, and then read up on their specific course to see if it's exactly what you want. that way you're narrowing down your options to 5. also look at location as some people find location as being a large influence on which uni they apply for.. but everyone's different. you can also go to uni open days to help you choose which unis you really like, and you can find the dates of these for each individual uni on their website, and if not, you can always call them up
there are lots of uni open days in late June and July, I recommend going to as many as possible and researching which courses you're interested in beforehand. quite a few open days require you to book online to confirm you're going.

If you think you want to go to university but don't know what you want to study then now is the time to decide. If you want to study a vocational course e.g. nursing, medicine, primary teaching then go out and get some work experience. For a non vocational course e.g. History, Politics e.c.t then do some reading around the subject in an area of interest to you. Also start making a long list of universities based on course content, location, facilities, see when their open days are and try to get to as many as you can.
Reply 4
Evidence of interest outside of school is what universities want to see
Reply 5
Original post by Sinnoh
Evidence of interest outside of school is what universities want to see

oh i see, like what type of things out of school?
Reply 6
oh i see, like what type of things out of school?

Work experience is a good way of showing that, but I think it's too late to apply for work experience at universities now. Maybe taster lectures in the summer? It depends what subject you want to take.
For humanities-based degrees, you can read something related to that topic. Actually you could also do that for maths and sciences, my maths teacher had recommended me "A Course of Pure Mathematics" by G.H. Hardy. For engineering, I'm less sure.
Reply 7
Original post by Sinnoh
Work experience is a good way of showing that, but I think it's too late to apply for work experience at universities now. Maybe taster lectures in the summer? It depends what subject you want to take.
For humanities-based degrees, you can read something related to that topic. Actually you could also do that for maths and sciences, my maths teacher had recommended me "A Course of Pure Mathematics" by G.H. Hardy. For engineering, I'm less sure.

Thank You so much for your help x
Reply 8
Definitely start thinking about what you want to apply for. Once you get into Y13, applying for uni will be in full swing.

In Y12, I had decided the course I wanted to apply for, I was very clear and actually set on 2 of the universities I was going to apply to. And I think I went to 3 open days (both of the 2 I was set on and 1 I decided on later). I also compiled a list in the notes section of my phone of ideas to write in my personal statement.

It’s good to start thinking but September/October etc is when you’ll really have to start making the decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending