The Student Room Group

I just chose my firm and insurance and I might have a breakdown

i chose newcastle as firm and leicester as insuracne
havent applied for student finance or the accomodation
i think im ****ed..
my parents don't support me in my decision and I havent told them yet what Ive done and I havent visisted either of my unis. Idek if I'll be able to commit to this, I feel so numb but so confused rn.. i thought i really wanted to go newcastle and I do but I just have this feeling of dread. I really just need emotional support at the moment.. :frown:
Original post by justanotherchica
i think im ****ed..
my parents don't support me in my decision and I havent told them yet what Ive done and I havent visisted either of my unis. Idek if I'll be able to commit to this, I feel so numb but so confused rn.. i thought i really wanted to go newcastle and I do but I just have this feeling of dread. I really just need emotional support at the moment.. :frown:

You can apply for student finance now? Most of my friends hadn't by this point either

A lot of unis haven't even sent their accommodation emails

Relax..
Original post by Kyber Ninja
You can apply for student finance now? Most of my friends hadn't by this point either

A lot of unis haven't even sent their accommodation emails

Relax..

how do you even apply for student finance or accomodation?
well it's not just that, I'm not sure how to face my family
The student finance deadline isn't yet you still have time. With accomodation there will be laods of people who haven't applied yet and most places do the no place no pay thing so if you don't end up going to that uni you don't pay the deposit etc

Go on student finance England and fill out a form? Quite simple.

If you can't see eye-to-eye on your future that's their problem; it's your life after all
Don't worry OP, I haven't even firmed yet and I don't even know when the deadline is :bebored:
Reply 6

:hugs: it’s a big decision to put yourself first and choose what you want instead of what your family want, but it will be the best one you ever make. It’ll also be scary as hell. But that’s a big part of why you’ll feel so proud of yourself when you’re at uni.

Student finance - https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login the website is pretty self explanatory, and you can apply any time (but sooner rather than later as it can take six weeks to process)

Accommodation - how it works is different for every uni but they will send you an email when you can apply and a link to where. A quick google will probably give you more info about the options at your uni.

Family - it’s a tricky one. I’d choose the most supportive member and talk to them privately. Show them the uni, the course, tell them you’re worried and need their support. Hopefully they will accept and support you. If not it’s not the end of the world. You just have to find a way to compromise or go it alone.

Newcastle - i’ve lived there my whole life. It’s a really friendly city, not too crowded and there’s lots to do. I don’t think it’s really that much colder up here.... but you can always bring a coat!

I had a meltdown at the weekend thinking I couldn’t manage uni, freaking out about committing to it. But when I calmed down a bit and my friend talked sense into me I did some research and it’s never too late too change your mind. Student finance isn’t final and you can cancel it at any point until the start of term when money starts to move. Same with uni, you’re not bound to anything until you enroll in person when you start. I’m totally freaked about moving somewhere i’ve never been where I don’t know anyone but i’m really excited too, it’s a big adventure and you’ve got to take risks!

This was probably way too long but you’re not alone in feeling like you do, sometimes we need to take a few days and clear our minds and get our thoughts in order. My feeling of dread from friday has churned into nervous excitement and hopefully yours will too!
How far away do you live from your universities? And how much do your parents know about you wanting to go to university? It may be that they are not supporting you as they are worried.
i think im ****ed..

Check your universities deadline for accomodation application. I believe deadlines are for "Guranteed accomodation", also try get student finance done asap tbh but its not too late. Your parents (who you live with) will also have to make an account so you have to work with them.

Remember... that your choices are not the be all and end all. You have time to research (about your unis and the course structure) after your exams and you can try adjustment on results day if all goes well.
(edited 6 years ago)

You make an account on Student Gov website, and apply for tuition fees. Then apply for additional maintenance loan if you need it. Your parents or parent not sure also have to make an account and put their details (income)
Original post by cat_mac
:hugs: it’s a big decision to put yourself first and choose what you want instead of what your family want, but it will be the best one you ever make. It’ll also be scary as hell. But that’s a big part of why you’ll feel so proud of yourself when you’re at uni.

Student finance - https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login the website is pretty self explanatory, and you can apply any time (but sooner rather than later as it can take six weeks to process)

Accommodation - how it works is different for every uni but they will send you an email when you can apply and a link to where. A quick google will probably give you more info about the options at your uni.

Family - it’s a tricky one. I’d choose the most supportive member and talk to them privately. Show them the uni, the course, tell them you’re worried and need their support. Hopefully they will accept and support you. If not it’s not the end of the world. You just have to find a way to compromise or go it alone.

Newcastle - i’ve lived there my whole life. It’s a really friendly city, not too crowded and there’s lots to do. I don’t think it’s really that much colder up here.... but you can always bring a coat!

I had a meltdown at the weekend thinking I couldn’t manage uni, freaking out about committing to it. But when I calmed down a bit and my friend talked sense into me I did some research and it’s never too late too change your mind. Student finance isn’t final and you can cancel it at any point until the start of term when money starts to move. Same with uni, you’re not bound to anything until you enroll in person when you start. I’m totally freaked about moving somewhere i’ve never been where I don’t know anyone but i’m really excited too, it’s a big adventure and you’ve got to take risks!

This was probably way too long but you’re not alone in feeling like you do, sometimes we need to take a few days and clear our minds and get our thoughts in order. My feeling of dread from friday has churned into nervous excitement and hopefully yours will too!

hey thank you so much!
this has been really helpful and calmed me down a lot so ty :smile:
which uni have you applied to?
hey thank you so much!
this has been really helpful and calmed me down a lot so ty :smile:
which uni have you applied to?

Glad I helped!
I’ve firmed UWE, in bristol.
ayy leicester squad. when you're applying for maintenance you'll need your parents details so try and talk to them soon about your decision, you'll also need your NI and passport. if you do feel like changing then i'm sure you have 14 days to do so. good luck xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending