The Student Room Group

First year physio student AMA

Hello!

I'm close to finishing my first year as a physio student, and wondering if anyone applying/thinking of applying/already has an offer has any questions!
Original post by Kugelmugel
Hello!

I'm close to finishing my first year as a physio student, and wondering if anyone applying/thinking of applying/already has an offer has any questions!

Hi, thanks for doing this. I have some questions I wanted to ask:

1. What university are you studying at?
2. How was your first year in genera in terms of content and pressure?
3. How much self studying did you have to do?
4. Are there any activities that involve you and your class mates working together or going out together to get to know each other?
5. did you have any-placements, if so how were they?

Those are just some on top of my mind, I'll ask more if I remember.
Reply 2
Original post by orf1994
Hi, thanks for doing this. I have some questions I wanted to ask:

1. What university are you studying at?
2. How was your first year in genera in terms of content and pressure?
3. How much self studying did you have to do?
4. Are there any activities that involve you and your class mates working together or going out together to get to know each other?
5. did you have any-placements, if so how were they?

Those are just some on top of my mind, I'll ask more if I remember.

Hello!

1. I’m studying in London :smile:

2. First year has been very busy! The work load hasn’t been impossibly crazy, but there’s definitely been a lot to keep up with, and the thing is you have to remember everything - you can’t just forget your anatomy once you did the exam! (But ask me how much gcse physics I remember...)

It’s hard work, but very enjoyable, and definitely manageable!

3. A LOT. Compared to A levels where there’s a textbook with everything laid out for you, at uni (and this is probably true of most courses, not just physio) you essentially get introduced to a topic and then you have to go and study it yourself. This has been a real learning curve for me, and finding information can be hard, but the uni library is very helpful, and eventually you build up a collection of reliable websites.

There are a lot of things we really only touch on once, so to learn them properly you need to go away and do it yourself.

4. Yes! Both in and outside of class. So much of the course is working together, in practicals, in projects, on assessments. We get to know each other well that way! There’s also lots of social stuff, there’s been quite a few physio curry nights!

5. No placements until second year for me (I can’t wait!), but we do shadow the older students for a few days here and there. It’s really interesting but currently I can’t imagine having even part of the knowledge to do what they do - I feel like I know nothing!

Let me know if you have any other questions! Are you a prospective student? :smile:
Original post by Kugelmugel
Hello!

1. I’m studying in London :smile:

2. First year has been very busy! The work load hasn’t been impossibly crazy, but there’s definitely been a lot to keep up with, and the thing is you have to remember everything - you can’t just forget your anatomy once you did the exam! (But ask me how much gcse physics I remember...)

It’s hard work, but very enjoyable, and definitely manageable!

3. A LOT. Compared to A levels where there’s a textbook with everything laid out for you, at uni (and this is probably true of most courses, not just physio) you essentially get introduced to a topic and then you have to go and study it yourself. This has been a real learning curve for me, and finding information can be hard, but the uni library is very helpful, and eventually you build up a collection of reliable websites.

There are a lot of things we really only touch on once, so to learn them properly you need to go away and do it yourself.

4. Yes! Both in and outside of class. So much of the course is working together, in practicals, in projects, on assessments. We get to know each other well that way! There’s also lots of social stuff, there’s been quite a few physio curry nights!

5. No placements until second year for me (I can’t wait!), but we do shadow the older students for a few days here and there. It’s really interesting but currently I can’t imagine having even part of the knowledge to do what they do - I feel like I know nothing!

Let me know if you have any other questions! Are you a prospective student? :smile:

Thanks a lot for taking the time out of your schedule to write up a response. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I will be studying MSc Physiotherapy Starting September 2018.

I have another question I wanted to ask.

Do you know if there are any differences between different universities for physio, if so what are the differences. I have offer from many universities (brighton, brunel, mmu and a few more) and don't know which one to go with.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 4
Original post by orf1994
Thanks a lot for taking the time out of your schedule to write up a response. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I will be studying MSc Physiotherapy Starting September 2018.

I have another question I wanted to ask.

Do you know if there are any differences between different universities for physio, if so what are the differences. I have offer from many universities (brighton, brunel, mmu and a few more) and don't know which one to go with.

Thanks a lot.

It's hard to know how physiotherapy would be exactly at different places, but things I'd say would be different are:
- Campus based or city?
- Is the uni a very social one? (Mine isn't particularly, especially since many of the students on my course are mature students, but other places that are bigger and have more school leavers are likely to have more opportunities to go out - since you're doing an MSc this is potentially different anyway, but something to consider if you're looking for that!)
- How will you be assessed? Essays/written papers/practical exams? Of course most places will have a mix of all of these, but I've been surprised that it does actually vary place to place - does this matter to you? My uni is very essay heavy, which actually suits me very well, but I didn't realise when I was applying!
- Where are the placements? Studying in London is great because we get to see things some other parts of the country don't. To be fair any big city is likely to be similar though! I shadowed an older student and was able to see a syndrome which apparently you'd be unlikely to come across outside of a big city hospital.
- Is the course more academic or more practical? Maybe if you'd like to go into research somewhere academic will help, but otherwise somewhere more practical is likely to prepare you better for placement (maybe that's just my opinion, but several physios I've spoken to have said the best students they get are from unis that prepare their students well practically)

Well done on all your offers! Wherever you go, I'm sure you'll do great and enjoy it! Since the healthcare courses are all checked thoroughly so that students are suitably qualified at the end of the course, they'll all lead to you becoming a physio!

For me what ultimately made the decision was:
Location - Good placement opportunities/far enough from home but close enough to easily get back

Atmosphere of the uni - I am not super into going out etc, so chose somewhere with less of a reputation for that! Each to their own!

Small class sizes - There are places that are smaller than here, but I had offers from some places with 100+ students per year on the course! I feel we really get to know our classmates + tutors well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending