The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry, good call or bad??

As title.

I’m struggling to peg my GCSE down at a 6 in all the mocks. I must stress I know the content very well, it’s more not being taught exam technique for the new spec!! I could talk to you all about the topics in detail but it’s answering questions in exams.

When we did the old spec (A*-G) mocks in Year 9 I’d come close to full marks, and always be on at least an A. We’ve two weeks till the first Chemistry exam and I’m just worried I’ll struggle with the A level.

Maths command is reasonable but not at algebra and shape, so I’m on around a 6/7 for that.

Taking Biology and English too. Advice? Is it as terrible as everyone says it is?
Yasss! I do Bio Chem and English Language at A-alevel and as long as you put the work in from the first day onwards and get yourself in a routine by the end of the first term that will keep you in a good place.
A lot of students think they should choose a subject just because it was “easy” at GCSE and they don’t put any effort in towards achieving a good grade.
Work out how you learn best so if it’s flashcards make flashcards after each lesson or at the end of each day but only include what’s on the spec as any extra information probably won’t be useful but you are recommended to know a little bit more for possible extension questions.
I’m sure you’ll be fine, even though it’s only 3 subjects, A-Levels are heavy especially Bio and Chem so use your time wisely and don’t fall behind. Use your teachers and others to help if you struggle with some concepts. I find with chemistry the trick is doing loads of past paper questions and mark using mark schemes - this is good for biology too. You’ll find it’s all not that bad once you get used to it. Good luck!!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest