Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechem1)
    Hi everyone

Im starting medicine at Warwick this September so if anyone has any questions about the application process then I’d be happy to answer any

Good luck!
    Hi Congrats on starting med!!

What work experience did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blessedbytheone)
    Hi Congrats on starting med!!

What work experience did you do?
    Thanks!

I spent last summer working as a carer at a residential home for patients suffering with dementia and also spent some time shadowing a consultant surgeon in theatre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by originalsly)
    Hi all, I will be applying for Warwick GEM 2019 entry. First time post on here so thought I would introduce myself.

I'm 27, so a bit older than most on here (too old?!). Background is a humanities degree (History and Politics, York, 2012) and I am quite non-conventional in the sense that I work in a different field at the moment, and want to change my career trajectory to medicine.

My work experience is one week in a GP surgery observing and shadowing all the doctors, which included a clinic-based cardiologist, a number of standard GP surgeries, a baby immunization clinic and one day in the week where the doctor worked onsite at a drug addiction clinic. Also one week in hospital in the ophthalmology department, including observation of theater. Then I've been volunteering on weekends with both Mind and the Alzheimer's Society for the past few months and months going forward, in which I work autonomously one-on-one with patients diagnosed with either mental health issues or dementia. I hope this passes Warwick's stringent criteria for work experience? (This will be where my remaining 50 hours for work experience come from, on top of the GP surgery and hospital placement).

I am working toward the UKCAT at the moment (my exam isn't until the end of September). Done one or two mocks and scored around 680 but aware I need to get better at this. My VR score is high as I studied a humanities degree and have to deal with complex reading a lot in my current job. For me, it's all about the DM and QR - any tips on getting higher on these?

Does anyone also know when we can start working on our UCAS application? Last time I checked the site it hadn't opened for people to start independently creating UCAS submission forms yet.

Anyway, keen to hear how everyone is getting on, and whether there are other oldies/arts background students contemplating the GEM here!
    Definitely not too old, I'm 37 with an arts degree. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyEsEyeM)
    Hey everyone,

I am 21 year old 2nd year student going into my third year of Biomedical Sciences in September and have decided to apply for graduate entry medicine for 2019 entry. I think my application won't be as strong as it should be, because I have recently decided this is the career path I want after having doubts over my ability to study medicine. However, getting a first for my second year has given me the confidence that I am able enough to do this degree.

I have arranged volunteering in a dementia ward at my local hospital and will be hitting 51 hrs for that by 15/10/18. I would like to be able to get 20 hours shadowing by 15/10/18 but i recognise how difficult it will be arranging that as i decided to apply so late. I am looking at HCA jobs but don't really know where to start to hit 70 hours criteria- any tips?

I will be booking my UKCAT now for around last week of August (official UKCAT site gave 6 weeks preparation time for framework). I am going to buy the 1,250 book and will be subscribing for the 1 month membership of medify to form my preparation for the test.

I have decided to allow GAMSAT due to insufficient time to prepare and have focused on universities that are GEM, UKCAT only and don't look at A-levels. So any prospective Kings and Newcastle applicants here?

Best of luck to everyone!
    I'm planning to apply to Kings and Newcastle too (that's if my ukcat goes well!).

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechem1)
    Thanks!

I spent last summer working as a carer at a residential home for patients suffering with dementia and also spent some time shadowing a consultant surgeon in theatre
    Hey congrats in getting in!

I was wondering if they actually contact your references from the UCAS form? If so I’d like to know so I can give mine a headsup!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s810)
    Hey congrats in getting in!

I was wondering if they actually contact your references from the UCAS form? If so I’d like to know so I can give mine a headsup!
    yes I would definitely recommend giving your referee a heads up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    Yes they do count it bud! I emailed them to ask, and they stated I can use my role as a pharmacist and hospice volunteering to meet their 'hands on' criteria. This doesn't need to involve you touching/washing patients, but just generally interacting with people of diverse healthcare needs - and working in a hospice, you do a lot of simple things that build character and give you insight into caring for often terminal patients, which is what Warwick are looking for!
    So your experience as a pharmacist counts?
    I work in a pharmacy every summer but idk if that is hands on enough for Warwick..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arigziegler)
    So your experience as a pharmacist counts?
    I work in a pharmacy every summer but idk if that is hands on enough for Warwick..
    According to the admissions tutor my role as a hospital pharmacist does, since its exposure to people with a myriad of health needs to whom I'm involved in the care of; albeit only pharmaceutical care.

ReputationRep:
    Is shadowing experience essential?
    I have shadowed in the past but this was long ago (2014) and Warwick won't accept that.
    I know that other experience counts but everyone seems to have recent shadowing experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bmd28)
    Is shadowing experience essential?
    I have shadowed in the past but this was long ago (2014) and Warwick won't accept that.
    I know that other experience counts but everyone seems to have recent shadowing experience.
    It's not essential - they only allow 20 hours maximum in your 70 and they actually imply that other experiences are more valuable in their eyes.

Saying that, I think shadowing gives you a great opportunity to see what doctors do and a chance to talk to doctors about their career/experiences.

Hope this helps!

clme

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think that having more (above the 70hr minimum requirement) WE hrs is advantageous than just meeting the standard/minimum? I feel like it’s just a box being ticked!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how UKCAT score is used for interview invites? Is it a definite cut off or does it vary based on experience/qualifications?Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the weighting for UKCAT for interview invites? As in is there a definite cut off score or does it depend on your experience/qualifications?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smarriott32)
    Does anyone know the weighting for UKCAT for interview invites? As in is there a definite cut off score or does it depend on your experience/qualifications?

Thanks!
    I think last year the lowest candidate invited to interview had a UKCAT of 685? I know Warwick has a VR cut off but i'm not sure about total scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smarriott32)

Thanks!
    They use VR first and get rid of people who didn't score the average or above the average score for VR for that round. They then rank by total UKCAT scores. Depending on that and how much work experience you have, they determine whether you are interviewed. You're sent the work experience questionnaire when you're invited for interview.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,
    I just thought if introduce myself because I plan to apply to Warwick for 2019 entry. I’ve just graduated with a First in psychology and am working as a Support, Time & Recovery Worker.
    Beth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    According to the admissions tutor my role as a hospital pharmacist does, since its exposure to people with a myriad of health needs to whom I'm involved in the care of; albeit only pharmaceutical care.
    I am a newly qualified pharmacist and I am hoping to apply in the next 1-2 years. I was quite fortunate to have done half my pre-reg in a GP surgery. Did they tell you to what extend your experience as a pharmacist counts?

My experience in primary care is very robust, I am now looking to shadow consultants in the Hospital. I see many people doing HCA courses, I feel like for people like us, those are not as necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aallisonn)
    They use VR first and get rid of people who didn't score the average or above the average score for VR for that round. They then rank by total UKCAT scores. Depending on that and how much work experience you have, they determine whether you are interviewed. You're sent the work experience questionnaire when you're invited for interview.
    Assuming you're allowed to, could you share some details about this experience questionnaire? What questions do they ask? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Optimist)
    Assuming you're allowed to, could you share some details about this experience questionnaire? What questions do they ask? Thanks.
    All they said on the open day is that they ask for a named contact, hours spent there and that it should be within the last 2 yrs. I'm not sure what it exactly looks like since I'm hopefully applying this september (if my ukcat is good).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aallisonn)
    All they said on the open day is that they ask for a named contact, hours spent there and that it should be within the last 2 yrs. I'm not sure what it exactly looks like since I'm hopefully applying this september (if my ukcat is good).
    Thank you for the reply. The "it should be within last 2 years" is actually a bummer for me as I got my main experience in 2017-2018. I finished working at the surgery around 6 months ago. That was where I was getting my main experience. This really forces me to apply in 2019. Ideally I wanted to work for a while and then apply. Having said that, I could always go back to the surgery and get some short experience to "refresh" my experience there.

All the best in your application!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 16, 2019

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.