The Student Room Group

Self-Plagiarism?

So I recently submitted my dissertation. The topic I did it on somewhat overlapped with a topic that I did some coursework on last year. I cited three sources (out of about 35 in total in my dissertation, all Academic Journals ) in my dissertation which provided theoretical concepts/ideas that are very standard in my subject, which I also had cited in my previous coursework.

I used different wording to explain the theories presented in these sources (i.e. I did not simply just 're-use' the explanations/arguments from my coursework into my dissertation) and there are no verbatim overlaps of sentences of the two pieces of work.

Is this still self-plagiarism? I felt silly referencing myself for these theoretical arguments, as they are not my arguments/ideas and so I did what I was taught and cited the original source of the information.

Any help greatly appreciated, if anyone has any experience or has been in a similar situation.
Reply 1
P.S. My University defines self-plagiarism as "reusing work you have previously submitted".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending