The Student Room Group

HNC vs Extended Diploma

Hi, I am currently studying BTEC Level 3 extended diploma (in software and web development, which in my current college is divided into two year; the first year is awarded with a 90 credit diploma, while the second year is awarded with an Extended Diploma. I am currently at the first year, but I have been offered to go directly into HNC instead of doing the second year. Now, I would like to go into university to study Computer Science, but I don't have any A-levels, as I am not from this country (I have the knowledge of A-level math, as I studied it in Italy); so I would like to know which option is better. I know that many universities accept BTEC + A-level math; but if I do HNC I can save one year. My main goal is to have a "real" degree, I want to go in a university; even if it is harder I don't care, I find my course way too easy and not challenging enough; no wonder that BTEC is seen as a lower qualification; also I hate this college, there are 10 year old kids that are more knowledgeable than the tutors. I tried to take an A-Level as a private candidate, but it is too expensive.
Even if I pick the HNC, I would like to go into university, maybe they will enroll me into a second year, I don't want to stay in this city, and in this college. I don't see any other options, as doing a 6th form will take 2 more years, and I am already old for the class I am in.
Thanks, I would also like to know the reason of the answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending