The Student Room Group

Paramedic

Does anyone know how many years you have to study in uni to be a paramedic?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by A.Montgomery

Hi A.Montgomery

Adviser Rosy here from the National Careers Service, this is a great question and it’s great you are planning ahead as the pathways to this career are changing!

Ultimately to be a practicing paramedic you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). To register with the HCPC, you first need to successfully complete an approved qualification in paramedic science.

You could do this either as a full time course or as a student paramedic with an ambulance service and study while you work. The second option would take longer to become a paramedic as you would be studying part-time but you would be able to assist a paramedic sooner. The best option would depend on what you consider to be most valuable.

If you choose to study you can currently study paramedic science at either diploma, foundation degree or degree level so this could take 2 to 3 years. It might be useful to consider that from 2021 only the degree option will be accepted for registration with the HCPC.

If you have any other questions my colleague Tom is holding a live discussion on TSR, Facebook and Twitter or you could contact the National Careers Service from 8am to 10pm every day.

I hope this helps but feel free to ask any other questions!

Rosy
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi A.Montgomery

Adviser Rosy here from the National Careers Service, this is a great question and it’s great you are planning ahead as the pathways to this career are changing!

Ultimately to be a practicing paramedic you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). To register with the HCPC, you first need to successfully complete an approved qualification in paramedic science.

You could do this either as a full time course or as a student paramedic with an ambulance service and study while you work. The second option would take longer to become a paramedic as you would be studying part-time but you would be able to assist a paramedic sooner. The best option would depend on what you consider to be most valuable.

If you choose to study you can currently study paramedic science at either diploma, foundation degree or degree level so this could take 2 to 3 years. It might be useful to consider that from 2021 only the degree option will be accepted for registration with the HCPC.

If you have any other questions my colleague Tom is holding a live discussion on TSR, Facebook and Twitter or you could contact the National Careers Service from 8am to 10pm every day.

I hope this helps but feel free to ask any other questions!

Rosy

So I was hoping to study the degree in Uni so you say it will take 2-3 years? & will you please forward the link to Toms live discussion thank you!
So I was hoping to study the degree in Uni so you say it will take 2-3 years? & will you please forward the link to Toms live discussion thank you!

Hi

Yeah the degree option would take 3 years.

Feel free to join Tom's live Q&A at:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5369234

Hope this is useful!

Rosy

To be a parmedic, you need to register with the HCPC. It's changing soon, so soon you'll need to complete a three year BSc degree to register. If you can get on a couse starting soon it's possible to study for a DipHE which will take 2 years. You could also join an ambulance service as a technician or similar and then work your way up, but this way can be very competitive and will take much longer.

Quick Reply

Latest