The Student Room Group

Is Prom Overrated?

Hello everyone!
I'm doing a speech on why prom and it being overrated, and I would love it if you guys would give me your opinions on how you feel about it, and whether or not you think it is overrated.
Feel free to deabate about it!
Thanks in advance!:smile:
Reply 1
Yes. I didn't go. Partially because it was literally 2 weeks before my exams and I just didn't feel like going.
Plus, everything gets pretty expensive when you add it all up and I just didn't feel like spending that much on a single night where I wouldn't even enjoy myself that much.
You spend so much on one night, transport which may not even take you home? I have to pay £50 for the limo to take us to the venue from my school, wasn't my plan but yeah. I think I'm the only girl with a short dress, I'm gonna be so uncomfortable and at our prom we have to pay for our drinks? And it's almost £60 on top of that for the food and night I guess, the food option for our prom is horrid in my opinion, I'd rather go to McDonalds before tbh
I think prom is very overrated. I was watching this movie called 'Prom' (its disney i think) and it was lietrally this girl spending months planning and perparing for a prom night, and it thought it was kind of weird tbh, considering you spend one night dancing (you might not even do that). Also, everyone goes mental about finding dates, but it is literally pointless as like no one pursues these relationships or anything. Plus, boys and girls spend hundreds on dresses and tuxes that they wear for one night. ONE NIGHT!? :unimpressed:
Reply 4
It is a US cultural thing, where most people treat high school as the most important part of their lives.

People go to prom for the social aspect, and the fact that you get to dress nice with your friends. Other than that, it's quite pointless.
brits are way more conservative than americans, so uk proms are way less dramatic/worth it
id love to go to a proper full out prom. my schools not having one which me and literally everyone in school is so annoyed about. it seems so much fun, get all dressed up, with your friends, celebrate end of secondary school/end of gcses, make memories .........must be NICE. I'm bitter of people who get to go , those lucky baztadz
Go if you get on well with other people that are going. Otherwise, do something else. I, personally, don't think it's worth the hassle.
the boys in my school are taking it in a humerous manner. We are going to put the most autistic, weird kid in our year as the head boy. Its going to be so funny cos the girls are taking it so seriously and the head girl (popular) has to dance with the kid i was talking about. My friend is also shaving his head
We really enjoyed our prom. Was a joint thing between the boys and girls school, but it was all organised by the students and the staff had nothing to do with it. Was a great night and we all got super drunk and slept in the bus station. It's what prom is about.

(We also got two free bottles of red wine per 5 of us before we had been given our food, bad idea kids)
Girls give it big hype for no apparent reason, so might end up being a bit overrated for them when they turn up dateless to have a decent ish meal then go home again. In my experience the lads tend to know what's up tho. I had a decent time 'cause I had no big expectations.

Sixth form one far better than the post GCSE one though, 'cause you can drink. If it's your one for end of GCSEs then giving it a miss is perfectly reasonable tbh.
Prom is completely over-rated but you need to go to acquire those emotional scars that make you a more interesting person in later life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending