The Student Room Group

Doing A-Levels vs AP Exams for UK Admission

Hey all,

I'm a Canadian student who wants to apply to LSE, Cambridge and Warwick this year. I will probably have a competitive Ontario grade 12 high school average next year (mid-high 90s). I also took 5 APs this year including Calculus AB.

For next year, I have the choice of self-studying more AP exams, A-Levels or even both. I have a pretty strong background in math and economics so I think it will not be impossible to do either or. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would better for admission into the universities I am looking at? I do understand that these marks are not everything however...

For reference:
I'm thinking of doing
A-Level Economics
A-Level Math
A-Level Further Math
A-Level Psychology

or

AP Calculus BC
AP Chemistry
AP Physics C
AP Biology
AP Statistics
Reply 1
Its very hard doing A levels in one year....
But it will be more impressive than ap.
However I think the most important factor to consider is for which course do you have access to better teacher (i.e. more familiar with content) and better resources available. Note that some stuff in the A level syllabus will be different to the Canadian syllabus even for subjects like maths.
However, doing A levels will probably make you more prepared for the stuff they teach you in UK university.

Good luck
Reply 2
Actually, both are fine, so do the one that you are super confident in.
Reply 3
Original post by qw1234
Actually, both are fine, so do the one that you are super confident in.

But I don't recommend doing both. Requirements are made in terms of A-levels or AP, not both. For example, doing A-level Economics and AP Calc and AP Chem will not satisfy the requirements. Just focus on one. Don't mix.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending