The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yeah our teacher gave us this today, she said she predicted last years paper question word for word, (she went to LSE did economics and now is teaching economics for 10 years plus) so i'll post her prediction when she does :smile:
Reply 2
What are other modules you guys doing? Development or UK economy , Transport or Leisure ??
Reply 3
am doing transport, UK economy and the Eurpean Context one.

I've received the stimulus materials, haven't read it yet.
however our teacher doesn't think predicting the questions is a good way of starting it, we're gonna read it first and break all the points down and learn about the topics in the case studies, i think it sounds better than trying to predict the questions, although it's not a bad idea too.
Reply 4
I'm doing this paper in June. :smile:
We had a quick look through the stimulus material in our lesson today and our homework is to think of possible questions. :wink:
When I'm done I'll post them on here. :tsr2:

We did two other A2 modules (2884 Work and Leisure, 2886 Development) in January so this is the only module left (barring retakes).
I'm not too worried about it though as I only need 30% (36/120) to get an A overall. :biggrin:
Reply 5
we didn't do any exams in January, all the A2 units (2885,2887,2888) are in june :frown: too many at once.
Reply 6
Ploop
How did you get on in the Development module? It's something we're doing too.

I got on well with the Development module (87/90). :smile:
It's quite a descriptive module so if you learn all the material you shouldn't find it too difficult.
There weren't many concepts to apply or really think about.
Reply 7
Ploop
Reading through the extracts, something on market failure is a must surely? Probably to do with pollution and something on externalities for the first question.

Yes, negative externalities does seem to be an obvious topic.
Another topic could be the benefits of joining the EU for the CEE countries.
Reply 8
theres some stuff on market structure and lack of competition, i think theres some market regulation and government intervention,, FDI and globalisation.

what other topics do you reckon are in the stimulus materials for 2888?
Reply 9
I remember this module :ninja: Ah, the good memories :biggrin::
Reply 10
Ploop
Woah, pretty impressive results all round for you (just checked your profile). Development seems to have a huge quantity, but not a lot of depth to it, which is a problem when we only started it a few weeks back. I'm comfortable with all the economic concepts (they don't appear to be particularly challenging to be honest), it's just the sheer quantity that'll probably be problematic. Meh, it'll be simple compared to this dastardly module.

Reading through the extracts, something on market failure is a must surely? Probably to do with pollution and something on externalities for the first question.

Yep, it comes up every year. I'm pretty sure one or maybe two of the questions will be completely dedicated to market failure. So revise externalities!!! It's easy marks once you understand it. Unit 4 and 5 are harder than this module, trust me.
Reply 11
I'm doing the exam in june too :smile: Other modules went surprisingly well so haven't really got much pressure on this one (thankfully)! I had a look through and thought definately negative externalities, maybe costs & benefits of FDI in CEE, government failure with those safety requirements, use of fiscal policy to increase demand for efficient vehicles... haven't been over it in class yet though. Good idea to all put our ideas in together :smile:
Reply 12
alex_hk90
I got on well with the Development module (87/90). :smile:
It's quite a descriptive module so if you learn all the material you shouldn't find it too difficult.
There weren't many concepts to apply or really think about.

That's impressive result . Was there much difference about the way you answer the question in AS ? I found it difficult to pass all 4 level in essay questions .

I got an E on this paper in Jan which is really annoying me now . I dont know why it was that bad indeed. Btw, I am following the OCR Advanced economics by Peter Smith

Any advice for me to improve the score in June ? Thanks mate
boyz123
That's impressive result . Was there much difference about the way you answer the question in AS ? I found it difficult to pass all 4 level in essay questions .

I used a very similar technique to AS, in fact it was almost identical. The only difference I've noticed from the mark schemes is that you are quite often meant to use other examples (which I failed to do :redface:).
I'm not sure if you've seen it but I might a few posts last year about getting up to level 4 that some people found useful; if you haven't I could look for them for you.

boyz123
I got an E on this paper in Jan which is really annoying me now . I dont know why it was that bad indeed. Btw, I am following the OCR Advanced economics by Peter Smith

OCR Advanced Economics is a decent book overall, but for the Development module I found the Peter Cramp book more useful.

boyz123
Any advice for me to improve the score in June ? Thanks mate

Not much I can say really; make sure you know all the concepts and models, practice using past papers and mark schemes (in timed conditions if possible).
Reply 14
There are some useful support materials for Unit 2888 June 2008 here:

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/economics/C200/

Jim
Jim Riley
There are some useful support materials for Unit 2888 June 2008 here:

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/economics/C200/

Jim

Thanks for the link. :smile:

I'd forgotten about this thread but since the case study was released I've written a few possible questions based on questions asked in previous years. [See attachment.] The wording will obviously not be quite like the exam board style, but the content is likely to come up to some extent. Hopefully nearer the exam when I have more time I'll write a few more and start writing answers to them as well. :biggrin:
Reply 16
I think it would be a good idea if we looked at each extract in detail and discuss them.

is this ok with everyone?
you can contribute what you find out and ask questions about the extracts that are being discussed.
Reply 17
Veni_vidi
I think it would be a good idea if we looked at each extract in detail and discuss them.

is this ok with everyone?
you can contribute what you find out and ask questions about the extracts that are being discussed.

The organisation sounds like an excellent idea :smile: definately!
Reply 18
Lili!
The organisation sounds like an excellent idea :smile: definitely!

Ok, i hope people don't forget about this thread, the more people the more ideas the better,

Here is some information that might be useful for Extract 1.

Fig. 1.1
Central and Eastern Europe's car production is increasing at a much larger rate than western Europe’s car production, this trend has been the decision of many main manufacturers to invest in production capacity in Central and Eastern Europe(CEE) , this was to enlarge the EU and take advantage of lower production costs.

this will benefit the economies of CEE, however it's not clear whether the benefits of low production costs in CEE economies have been passed through to consumers in the EU15 (The 15 countries in the EU before the expansion of the EU in 2004)

Fig. 1.2
Western Europe's light vehicle sales is much higher than CEE's sales, however the CEE's sales are increasing significantly and they are predicted to double by 2011, sales in CEE could be increasing for a number of reasons:
1) more car manufacturers are taking advantage of lower production costs in CEE economies, this benefit could be passed on to consumers in these countries.
2) cars are cheaper in CEE

economics integration could help to decrease significant car price differentials

:biggrin: feel free to add info about extract 1 or what I’ve wrote.
Veni_vidi
Ok, i hope people don't forget about this thread, the more people the more ideas the better,

Here is some information that might be useful for Extract 1.

Fig. 1.1
Central and Eastern Europe's car production is increasing at a much larger rate than western Europe’s car production, this trend has been the decision of many main manufacturers to invest in production capacity in Central and Eastern Europe(CEE) , this was to enlarge the EU and take advantage of lower production costs.

this will benefit the economies of CEE, however it's not clear whether the benefits of low production costs in CEE economies have been passed through to consumers in the EU15 (The 15 countries in the EU before the expansion of the EU in 2004)

Fig. 1.2
Western Europe's light vehicle sales is much higher than CEE's sales, however the CEE's sales are increasing significantly and they are predicted to double by 2011, sales in CEE could be increasing for a number of reasons:
1) more car manufacturers are taking advantage of lower production costs in CEE economies, this benefit could be passed on to consumers in these countries.
2) cars are cheaper in CEE

economics integration could help to decrease significant car price differentials

:biggrin: feel free to add info about extract 1 or what I’ve wrote.

nice one. thats a really good idea. Im gonna start my 2888 revision tomorrow. Ill help do some extract summary.

Has anyone seen the 2888 Jun 2008 rootkit from Tutor2u. I would get it but that £36.43 price tag is really putting me off.

Latest

Trending

Trending