The Student Room Group

I used some corrrection pen in my Alevel Exam

hi, so i've done a exam, and made some little mistakes which i've used a few dots of correction pen to correct, and write over with a pen. i know it's not advised to use one, but i had one in my pocket and thought might as well, for the presentation, which i'm not doing again i honestly didn't even have the thought of the scanner as i was under a lot of pressure. i'm worried whether the scanner wont pick it up, what do you guys think? it looked all neat to me. i scanned some writing with it, using my home printer, and it showed up fine i hope the edexcel scanners do the same !
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sama5sama
hi, so i've done a exam, and made some little mistakes which i've used a few dots of correction pen to correct, and write over with a pen. i know it's not advised to use one, but i had one in my pocket and thought might as well, for the presentation, which i'm not doing again i honestly didn't even have the thought of the scanner as i was under a lot of pressure. i'm worried whether the scanner wont pick it up, what do you guys think? it looked all neat to me.

When the rules say do not use it and you break the rules by using it... why bother?
Reply 2
hi, so i've done a exam, and made some little mistakes which i've used a few dots of correction pen to correct, and write over with a pen. i know it's not advised to use one, but i had one in my pocket and thought might as well, for the presentation, which i'm not doing again i honestly didn't even have the thought of the scanner as i was under a lot of pressure. i'm worried whether the scanner wont pick it up, what do you guys think? it looked all neat to me.

You don't need to worry. If any part of your work is not readable on the scanned copy then your original exam script will be marked. But try not to use correction pen in future :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
When the rules say do not use it and you break the rules by using it... why bother?

you're not helpful :wink: that wasn't my question
should be fine, but it does say don't use correction fluid so maybe cross it out next time or draw a star and get extra paper to finish up where you left off from
Reply 5
Original post by Notnek
You don't need to worry. If any part of your work is not readable on the scanned copy then your original exam script will be marked. But try not to use correction pen in future :smile:

oh right, thanks for telling me i didn't know that. believe me i won't lol
The scanner may pick it up, problem is is that if it does the examiner could alert the senior examiner and your paper could be disqualified (as there is no way of knowing whether the paper wasn't tampered with and sometimes working out is marked).

Picking it up would not be a good thing.
Reply 7
Original post by ohdearstudying
The scanner may pick it up, problem is is that if it does the examiner could alert the senior examiner and your paper could be disqualified (as there is no way of knowing whether the paper wasn't tampered with and sometimes working out is marked).

did you just make that up? if someone wants to tamper a paper, can't they just cross it out and use a pen? i'm sure i'm not the only one. it is a good thing, as there was a mistake beneath it.
did you just make that up? if someone wants to tamper a paper, can't they just cross it out and use a pen? i'm sure i'm not the only one. it is a good thing, as there was a mistake beneath it.

I think that explanation is garbage
Try following the rules like everyone else and then you wont have anything to worry about or is that too difficult for you?.

You disregarded @999tigger 's response and now mine?

I actually asked my teacher why this was a rule and she explained why (also an examiner). It's mainly a precaution, so I wouldn't worry.

However, if the examiner can't read it they won't spend much time trying to see what it says, you just pray it didn't smudge, ruin any other pages and is legible.
Reply 10

This won't happen. Examiners don't just assume that a paper has been tampered with because correction fluid has been used or some working written in pencil has been rubbed out. There has to be more evidence than that.
Reply 11
You disregarded @999tigger 's response and now mine?

I actually asked my teacher why this was a rule and she explained why (also an examiner). It's mainly a precaution, so I wouldn't worry.

However, if the examiner can't read it they won't spend much time trying to see what it says, you just pray it didn't smudge, ruin any other pages and is legible.

your response was regarded, but i didn't like the last part where you said not picking it up is a good thing, it was just unnessassary, how would i feel? and 999tigger is just a carefree idiot, i had a query, wasn't expencting a life lesson he's not my dad. thanks.
your response was regarded, but i didn't like the last part where you said not picking it up is a good thing, it was just unnessassary, how would i feel? and 999tigger is just a carefree idiot, i had a query, wasn't expencting a life lesson he's not my dad. thanks.

Honestly, I'm not the kind of person to tell you what you want to hear because you don't want to be upset. The main reason (just from simply Googling) correction fluid isn't allowed is that it can mess up papers. There's no high-tech scanner, it's literally black and white and appears on a screen and they mark what they can see. If they mark it in person they'll notice the correction and depending on whether a head examiner marks it, could result in a penalty.

However, I think you'll be fine, if anything comes of this you can say you were stressed and forgot.
Reply 13
Honestly, I'm not the kind of person to tell you what you want to hear because you don't want to be upset. The main reason (just from simply Googling) correction fluid isn't allowed is that it can mess up papers. There's no high-tech scanner, it's literally black and white and appears on a screen and they mark what they can see. If they mark it in person they'll notice the correction and depending on whether a head examiner marks it, could result in a penalty.

However, I think you'll be fine, if anything comes of this you can say you were stressed and forgot.

yeah personally i also think it'll show up fine. and i honestly also think your whole story of me getting disqualified because of some tipex is very unrealistic and unlikely, examinors aren't idiots. that's me being honest too :smile: . out of curiosity, have you been to edexcel and seen their scanners? but nothings impossible, should that happen i would. thanks
yeah personally i also think it'll show up fine. and i honestly also think your whole story of me getting disqualified because of some tipex is very unrealistic and unlikely, examinors aren't idiots. that's me being honest too :smile: . out of curiosity, have you been to edexcel and seen their scanners? but nothings impossible, should that happen i would. thanks

Literally, it's possible depending on who marks it. Well, it's not 'unrealistic and likely' because it states on the front of the booklet that you must not use any correction fluid, but I hope you don't-I was just letting you know what is possible.

I had my scripts send back to me by ExamsResults+ and the quality was dire and they have a video on their YouTube about exam scripts :smile:

Also, you should tone down you attitude a bit, it's infuriating you refuse to accept that you've done something wrong, people would be more inclined to help otherwise.
Reply 15
Literally, it's possible depending on who marks it. Well, it's not 'unrealistic and likely' because it states on the front of the booklet that you must not use any correction fluid, but I hope you don't-I was just letting you know what is possible.

I had my scripts send back to me by ExamsResults+ and the quality was dire and they have a video on their YouTube about exam scripts :smile:

Also, you should tone down you attitude a bit, it's infuriating you refuse to accept that you've done something wrong, people would be more inclined to help otherwise.

funny how when i say my personal opinions, you get all annoyed too. what would you say earlier about 'honestly im not the kinda person that will tell you what you wanna hear to not upset you'. so don't tell me to tone down my attitude when you tell another student their 2 years worth of studying will go down the drain because of some tipex, and not care if it 'upsets' me, of course it would. and that i should 'pray' that the tipex wont smudge. lol all i asked was whether it would come out in the scanner. don't pass on your negative energy to others. best if we just focus on what is more important
(edited 5 years ago)
funny how when i say my personal opinions, you get all annoyed too. what would you say earlier about 'honestly im not the kinda person that will tell you what you wanna hear to not upset you'. so don't tell me to tone down my attitude when you tell another student their 2 years worth of studying will go down the drain because of some tipex, and not care if it 'upsets' me, of course it would. and that i should 'pray' that the tipex wont smudge. lol all i asked was whether it would come out in the scanner. don't pass on your negative energy to others. best if we just focus on what is more important

When I told you it might not come out on the scanner you started to challenge me, so did you want the answer or not?

No negative energy here, but sadly you're warding it towards yourself.

I'm not going to tell you the exam will scan clearly because it may not, HENCE THE RULE. If it goes down the drain you've brought it on yourself because you didn't follow the rules like 100,000s of other students can seem to.

I was trying to be nice and optimistic, but if it smudges it won't come up and YOUR exam (not mine) won't be able to receive the grades. At the end of the day you posted in this forum for advice, I gave it to you and you go the hump because I wouldn't say it will be marked? You were happy when people said it would be fine!
Reply 17

I'm not going to tell you the exam will scan clearly because it may not, HENCE THE RULE. If it goes down the drain you've brought it on yourself because you didn't follow the rules like 100,000s of other students can seem to.

If the scan isn't clear then the original copy is marked. It's an inconvenience to the examiner but won't result in any marks being lost.
Reply 18
i don't really need to respond anymore, you've just proved that you're demoralising. unlike you i don't spend my time looking at covers of exam papers, i do them :wink:
i don't really need to respond anymore, you've just proved that you're demoralising. unlike you i don't spend my time looking at covers of exam papers, i do them :wink:

and don't follow the instructions :wink:

if the examiner also has to mark it by hand they'll get the hump, it's literally written in a book by Mr Salles how they're supposed to remain neutral but stuff like this can taint your mark.

and they're allowed.

good luck though, I do hope it sorts out! Good luck with the rest of your exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest