The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Are Uni of Leeds lenient with grades?

The course that I want to do is joint Econ and Maths and they are asking for ABB but let's say if I get BBC (with B in maths) will they still offer me a place? Has anyone at Leeds been in a similar positon.

I don't think Econ and Maths is a very popular course to choose so I don't think they would mind but I want to be sure because I really want to go to Leeds but in my last few tests that ive taken I know I won't the grades that I need :frown:
Any advice would be appreciated X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump :/
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by gigi77774
The course that I want to do is joint Econ and Maths and they are asking for ABB but let's say if I get BBC (with B in maths) will they still offer me a place? Has anyone at Leeds been in a similar positon.

I don't think Econ and Maths is a very popular course to choose so I don't think they would mind but I want to be sure because I really want to go to Leeds but in my last few tests that ive taken I know I won't the grades that I need :frown:

Bump :/

By bumping your thread so quickly it makes it look as if an unanswered thread has an answer. It's best not do it :smile:

You can check offer rates for different predicted grades here:
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

But an offer isn't a place. If you do get an offer of ABB I suspect actually achieving BBC wouldn't be acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi im not applying to Leeds, but honestly you just never know with Universities. They can decide to be lenient. The best thing i'd do is just work as much as you can and hope for the best, sometimes when completing an exam you may feel disheartened but passed in the end!

I'd wait until results day as you it's anyones guess as of now, and as soon as you get your grades then you can call the Uni and ask them. Check if the course is available through clearing too!
Reply 4

Just realised you are talking about missing your ABB offer... frankly I doubt they will be flexible enough to accept BBC, but assuming that's what you end up getting there's still Clearing. That's what clearing is there for.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I’d suggest using this tool to gain an idea of your position in getting an offer; https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

Economics is quite a competitive degree, especially in RG Universities - although that’s not to say they will definitely reject those grades.
Reply 6
Original post by JT114455
I’d suggest using this tool to gain an idea of your position in getting an offer; https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

Economics is quite a competitive degree, especially in RG Universities - although that’s not to say they will definitely reject those grades.

:five:
Reply 7
@JT114455 @Doonesbury I already have the offer of ABB through the A2L scheme but I'm asking about whether I miss the grades in results day x
Reply 8
@JT114455 @Doonesbury I already have the offer of ABB through the A2L scheme but I'm asking about whether I miss the grades in results day x

Yes I realised that eventually. Did you see my 2nd reply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've already given you a lower offer than usual via A2L

Maybe it's possible, but by this point I'd say it's 35:65 against you.

So I would work particularly hard for the remaining exams. I would have be rich if I received £5 for every time someone got different grades to what they were expecting, whether good or bad. Unless you have rigorously checked against a valid unofficial mark scheme for maths, I wouldn't worry about it.

good luck anyway
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kyber Ninja
They've already given you a lower offer than usual via A2L

Maybe it's possible, but by this point I'd say it's 35:75 against you.

So I would work particularly hard for the remaining exams. I would have be rich if I received £5 for every time someone got different grades to what they were expecting, whether good or bad. Unless you have rigorously checked against a valid unofficial mark scheme for maths, I wouldn't worry about it.

good luck anyway

Hahahhaha 35:75. Oddly specific.
Reply 11
it's 35:75 against you.

Quick maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Notoriety

110% specific.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Notoriety

Original post by Doonesbury

Loool

sorry meant 35:65. My numeracy has gone down the drain - find symbols and letters much more bearable
Reply 14
Loool

sorry meant 35:65. My numeracy has gone down the drain - find symbols and letters much more bearable

I know for maths Ill be fine I need an A which I think Ill get its just the other two subjects that I KNOW i wont get Bs in...

Original post by Doonesbury

Yes I did thank you! :smile:
Reply 15
No, certainly, ABB is not BBC the average wouldn't be the same Babe, kiss
Let me your whatsapp and we'll talk
Reply 16
Original post by Grimo
No, certainly, ABB is not BBC the average wouldn't be the same Babe, kiss
Let me your whatsapp and we'll talk

But my course isnt as popular so maybe they'd let me in? Or even through clearing? Idk okay how about ABC
Reply 17
But my course isnt as popular so maybe they'd let me in? Or even through clearing? Idk okay how about ABC

Nobody can say for sure at this stage, not even Leeds. The only guarantee is if you hit the requirements, anything else is essentially a guess.

You will know on Results Day. Good luck :smile:
I've applied for the same course and it's stressing me the **** out. They offered me AAA - A*AB and I know for a fact that I have an A and B but def not an A*. This **** is keeping me up at night because I kinda have my heart set on Leeds and I'm not sure they'll let me in
(edited 5 years ago)

Econ and Maths is still on the UCAS course finder for 2018-19 entry which means it has spaces. It's weird cos it means courses like Econ and Russian Civilisation were filled up before it and that's a very obscure degree. Maybe it (Econ and Maths) isn't popular so I'm praying they'll be lenient on results day and just let people they have offered a place in

Quick Reply

Latest