The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

DSA Support for student with Depression/Anxiety???

Hey,

I'm a student suffering with severe depression and anxiety disorder, that I have been suffering with for several years.
I'm actually already a student at UCLAN I was a first year student in TESOL and Japanese with a Korean elective, but if there's anyone on here who was on my course or in my class knows that I didn't really appear at any of my classes for the second semester cause of my health had gotten worse and left me with the inability to leave the safety of my flat for several months as my depression worsened and my anxiety left me with constant panic attacks. So I'm going to be repeating my first year with good cause because of my health and it was recommended that I also apply for DSA's.
I've started the process and have been told that I'm eligible. Now I need to sort out a study needs assessments. Now my assessment is going to cost £650 which is going to be deducted from my allowance? To me it sounds like that wont leave me with much to support myself. What kind of support does DSA give to students with severe depression and anxiety? Cause mainly all I can find online is that DSA tends to only give support to students with physical and learning disabilities which doesn't seem to be fair for other students with other mental disabilities. I maybe wrong but I'm hoping someone could help fill in the gaps for me on what a DSA give to students like me? I hear they give allowances for printing credit and textbooks? - how much is that usually and when do they give you that allowance? Do DSA's assist with helping you pay for your medication or anything like that?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
The cost of the needs assessment comes from what is called the general allowance. which is one of the 4 allowances available, Equipment, Non Medical Helper, General Allowance and Travel. Students with MH conditions receive valuable support from the DSA such as AT equipment, Non Medical Helper support such as a
Study Mentor.

Please do not worry about the financial aspects of the award, once you have approval from you funding body to have a needs assessment, make an appointment
with your local Centre, and at this appointment you will meet with a Needs assessor and they will discus with you what support you may require. Please do not hold back because of financial concerns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending