The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan open uni

Hi, I am currently studying criminology fda at my local college, I am looking into transferring my credits and doing an open uni course. I have dsa for anxiety, depression and adhd. I have agoraphobia and as part of this I receive contributions to taxis. I have tried my best for my first year of uni but I really struggle to get myself in to the uni and my attendance is not good. As a result I feel my grades and success is extremely limited as the course is 90% provided in person. I would not be able to afford to study if I was not awarded maintenance loans. So my question is , if I would be able to get a maintenance loan if I switched to the OU for my second year of study, and is the maintenance loan the same amount as if I were attending in person. I have my dsa supporting evidence from my gp stating my anxiety and agoraphobia and struggle to leave the house, as well as my full dsa report. Would this evidence be enough? Would the fact that I have managed to get okay grades through my first year be used against me? It’s been a real struggle attempting to catch up on work that I’ve missed from not being able to attend in person and I feel it’s really limiting my success. My mental health is also being affected as tutors are always on my back about my attendance and I hate that I can’t just leave the house to go to my lectures. Any advice is welcome. Thank you .
(edited 12 months ago)
Although one of the official SFE reps can hopefully confirm, in order to receive a maintenance loan at the OU I believe you normally need to demonstrate there are no local universities which can accommodate the needs of your disability - so you would need to get written confirmation to this effect from each if that is the case, is my understanding.
Original post by letimay
Hi, I am currently studying criminology fda at my local college, I am looking into transferring my credits and doing an open uni course. I have dsa for anxiety, depression and adhd. I have agoraphobia and as part of this I receive contributions to taxis. I have tried my best for my first year of uni but I really struggle to get myself in to the uni and my attendance is not good. As a result I feel my grades and success is extremely limited as the course is 90% provided in person. I would not be able to afford to study if I was not awarded maintenance loans. So my question is , if I would be able to get a maintenance loan if I switched to the OU for my second year of study, and is the maintenance loan the same amount as if I were attending in person. I have my dsa supporting evidence from my gp stating my anxiety and agoraphobia and struggle to leave the house, as well as my full dsa report. Would this evidence be enough? Would the fact that I have managed to get okay grades through my first year be used against me? It’s been a real struggle attempting to catch up on work that I’ve missed from not being able to attend in person and I feel it’s really limiting my success. My mental health is also being affected as tutors are always on my back about my attendance and I hate that I can’t just leave the house to go to my lectures. Any advice is welcome. Thank you .

Hi there, To be considered for the part time Maintenance Loan funding for distance learning we do require evidence that confirms the reason you are unable to attend a brick university and how this affects you. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending