The Student Room Group

Starting A levels

Starting my A levels this september doing English Lit,Philosophy and History.Any advice or personal experiences you think might be helpful for me to know about?
Before doing English make sure you read the books and around the books.
It’s helpful to read around your courses.

My college had a policy where we were expected to do 5 hours per subject extra work per week (so 15 hours a week of extra reading and work) although I’m not sure whether your college/6th form will have the same policy: but it works for getting the best grades

What topics are you doing in history? I did Tsarist and Communist Russia, Britain 1951-2007, and the French Revolution - history will be quite difficult I can guarantee but so long as you put extra effort into your subjects it’ll pay off, trust me!
Original post by tom.williams121
It’s helpful to read around your courses.

My college had a policy where we were expected to do 5 hours per subject extra work per week (so 15 hours a week of extra reading and work) although I’m not sure whether your college/6th form will have the same policy: but it works for getting the best grades

What topics are you doing in history? I did Tsarist and Communist Russia, Britain 1951-2007, and the French Revolution - history will be quite difficult I can guarantee but so long as you put extra effort into your subjects it’ll pay off, trust me!

Im doing Britain 1625-1701:conflict,revolution and settlement,im also doing tsarist and communist russia,witchcraze in europe and nazi germany for coursework.Yeah i did think History would be my toughest one but ive gotten a lot better at it and really like it
Constantly organise your content so you don't get confused. Separate content into clear categories that you understand and use those categories to make exam essay plans. Essay plans are one of the best ways to revise written subjects so don't underestimate them and make sure you give them a go when it comes to revision.
Original post by skylarwalker
Im doing Britain 1625-1701:conflict,revolution and settlement,im also doing tsarist and communist russia,witchcraze in europe and nazi germany for coursework.Yeah i did think History would be my toughest one but ive gotten a lot better at it and really like it

So long as you keep all of your things organised, keep on top of your work, and do extra work around the subjects, you’ll be able to get the best grades possible.

All the best for September!
Original post by jmfllws0010
Constantly organise your content so you don't get confused. Separate content into clear categories that you understand and use those categories to make exam essay plans. Essay plans are one of the best ways to revise written subjects so don't underestimate them and make sure you give them a go when it comes to revision.

Thanks!
Original post by tom.williams121
So long as you keep all of your things organised, keep on top of your work, and do extra work around the subjects, you’ll be able to get the best grades possible.

All the best for September!

Thank you!
Reply 8
My top tip for when your in the year is to look at past paper questions early on and see if your teachers are willing to mark them. I ran out of time and didnt manage to do all the past questions which I regret. For History we had a book of all the past questions (maybe your sixth form will have this or you can do it yourself), I would recommend at least planning the answer for each one when you cover that subject, basically so you can see how well you understand that topic at the time of studying it.
Original post by Anoodle
My top tip for when your in the year is to look at past paper questions early on and see if your teachers are willing to mark them. I ran out of time and didnt manage to do all the past questions which I regret. For History we had a book of all the past questions (maybe your sixth form will have this or you can do it yourself), I would recommend at least planning the answer for each one when you cover that subject, basically so you can see how well you understand that topic at the time of studying it.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest