skylarwalker
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Starting my A levels this september doing English Lit,Philosophy and History.Any advice or personal experiences you think might be helpful for me to know about?
Pearlfection1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Before doing English make sure you read the books and around the books.
tom.williams121
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s helpful to read around your courses.

My college had a policy where we were expected to do 5 hours per subject extra work per week (so 15 hours a week of extra reading and work) although I’m not sure whether your college/6th form will have the same policy: but it works for getting the best grades

What topics are you doing in history? I did Tsarist and Communist Russia, Britain 1951-2007, and the French Revolution - history will be quite difficult I can guarantee but so long as you put extra effort into your subjects it’ll pay off, trust me!
skylarwalker
Rep:
?
(Original post by tom.williams121)
It’s helpful to read around your courses.

My college had a policy where we were expected to do 5 hours per subject extra work per week (so 15 hours a week of extra reading and work) although I’m not sure whether your college/6th form will have the same policy: but it works for getting the best grades

What topics are you doing in history? I did Tsarist and Communist Russia, Britain 1951-2007, and the French Revolution - history will be quite difficult I can guarantee but so long as you put extra effort into your subjects it’ll pay off, trust me!
Im doing Britain 1625-1701:conflict,revolution and settlement,im also doing tsarist and communist russia,witchcraze in europe and nazi germany for coursework.Yeah i did think History would be my toughest one but ive gotten a lot better at it and really like it
jmfllws0010
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Constantly organise your content so you don't get confused. Separate content into clear categories that you understand and use those categories to make exam essay plans. Essay plans are one of the best ways to revise written subjects so don't underestimate them and make sure you give them a go when it comes to revision.
tom.williams121
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by skylarwalker)
Im doing Britain 1625-1701:conflict,revolution and settlement,im also doing tsarist and communist russia,witchcraze in europe and nazi germany for coursework.Yeah i did think History would be my toughest one but ive gotten a lot better at it and really like it
So long as you keep all of your things organised, keep on top of your work, and do extra work around the subjects, you’ll be able to get the best grades possible.

All the best for September!
skylarwalker
Rep:
?
(Original post by jmfllws0010)
Constantly organise your content so you don't get confused. Separate content into clear categories that you understand and use those categories to make exam essay plans. Essay plans are one of the best ways to revise written subjects so don't underestimate them and make sure you give them a go when it comes to revision.
Thanks!
skylarwalker
Rep:
?
(Original post by tom.williams121)
So long as you keep all of your things organised, keep on top of your work, and do extra work around the subjects, you’ll be able to get the best grades possible.

All the best for September!
Thank you!
Anoodle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My top tip for when your in the year is to look at past paper questions early on and see if your teachers are willing to mark them. I ran out of time and didnt manage to do all the past questions which I regret. For History we had a book of all the past questions (maybe your sixth form will have this or you can do it yourself), I would recommend at least planning the answer for each one when you cover that subject, basically so you can see how well you understand that topic at the time of studying it.
skylarwalker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anoodle)
My top tip for when your in the year is to look at past paper questions early on and see if your teachers are willing to mark them. I ran out of time and didnt manage to do all the past questions which I regret. For History we had a book of all the past questions (maybe your sixth form will have this or you can do it yourself), I would recommend at least planning the answer for each one when you cover that subject, basically so you can see how well you understand that topic at the time of studying it.
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (180)
14.5%
I'm not sure (57)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.57%
I have already dropped out (36)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (601)
48.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed