The Student Room Group

Third year doing A-Levels

I have just finished year 12, I am currently studying Biology, Psychology and Film. I did not get the memo that science subjects should be taken with another science. This time last year I did not know I would be loving biology so much. I am very unsure still which university and which course I would want to apply for. Although, all courses that interest me require chemistry.

I am considering taking AS Chemistry next year and continuing with A2 Bio and Psych. I could always take Biology at uni but i think I would prefer going into a more specific field. As i am so unsure about many things still, do you think it is better to just take the extra year as this would also give me time to think about my options and career etc and also work to earn money for uni as I would be studying one A2. What would be the pros and cons of this, has anyone been in a similar situation and would this put unis off?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Georgiabobross
I have just finished year 12, I am currently studying Biology, Psychology and Film. I did not get the memo that science subjects should be taken with another science. This time last year I did not know I would be loving biology so much. I am very unsure still which university and which course I would want to apply for. Although, all courses that interest me require chemistry.

I am considering taking AS Chemistry next year and continuing with A2 Bio and Psych. I could always take Biology at uni but i think I would prefer going into a more specific field. As i am so unsure about many things still, do you think it is better to just take the extra year as this would also give me time to think about my options and career etc and also work to earn money for uni as I would be studying one A2. What would be the pros and cons of this, has anyone been in a similar situation and would this put unis off?

Something you could consider would be to just completely drop film as it's considered a soft alevel and not respected by universities. You could then over the summer teach yourself the year 1 chemistry course and join chemistry classes for the year 2 classes. While it would be alot of work self teaching the AS chemistry course, it would save you a year of your life!
Personally I would suggest dropping Psychology and Pursuing Chemistry, Biology And Film as Psychology might be too much work to handle whilst doing both AS and A2 Chemistry.
Original post by Zalvager
Personally I would suggest dropping Psychology and Pursuing Chemistry, Biology And Film as Psychology might be too much work to handle whilst doing both AS and A2 Chemistry.

Thank you for your reply! I was considering dropping Film and picking up the AS in Chemistry this year and then in my final year just continuing with the A2 Chem.
Original post by MayoJack
Something you could consider would be to just completely drop film as it's considered a soft alevel and not respected by universities. You could then over the summer teach yourself the year 1 chemistry course and join chemistry classes for the year 2 classes. While it would be alot of work self teaching the AS chemistry course, it would save you a year of your life!

Thank you for your reply! I forgot to mention that i would be dropping Film if I picked up Chemistry. How could I teach myself the course? That does seem better than taking another year out for college, but I also think teaching myself the course would be very difficult and perhaps the extra year would give me time to think about what I really want to do at university.
Original post by Georgiabobross
Thank you for your reply! I forgot to mention that i would be dropping Film if I picked up Chemistry. How could I teach myself the course? That does seem better than taking another year out for college, but I also think teaching myself the course would be very difficult and perhaps the extra year would give me time to think about what I really want to do at university.

Well it would be hard, I'm not going to argue it wouldn't. There is loads of stuff online helping with courses, while I don't do chemistry I know for a fact there are loads of resources online for the subjects I do, and almost definitely will be for chemistry as well - stuff like tutors explaining concepts on youtube etc. You could buy a revision guide, and go to the chemistry department in your school, and ask if they give out a textbook to their students, and ask for one as you'll be doing chem next year. They probably also have resources (worksheets/questions etc), that you could ask for digitally so you could do practice questions while learning.

Taking a gap year is a possibility of course - and if you're not 100% sure about what you want to do at university, then if you can think of a way of figuring out what you want to do over the gap year then that may be advisable (such as an internship in a field you think you may want to go into, but you're not 100% sure).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending