The Student Room Group

BTEC to First class degree AMA

hey guys,
just received my results today, and im truly chuffed...
I study electronic & electrical engineering at a top 5 russel group university and just completed my first year with a 74% overall grade for the year.
I also did a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in Electrical Engineering in which i left with a D*DD and also had a 2 year gap year before starting uni.

I know a lot of people go into uni having done BTEC prior having a defeated outlook as to not being smart enough of having not been through the rigor to be at uni, but it is doable if you put your all into your studies

AMA about my experience and i will be more than happy to answer your questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shadrack97
hey guys,
just received my results today, and im truly chuffed...
I study electronic & electrical engineering at a top 5 russel group university and just completed my first year with a 74% overall grade for the year.
I also did a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in Electrical Engineering in which i left with a D*DD and also had a 2 year gap year before starting uni.

I know a lot of people go into uni having done BTEC prior having a defeated outlook as to not being smart enough of having not been through the rigor to be at uni, but it is doable if you put your all into your studies

AMA about my experience and i will be more than happy to answer your questions

Can you describe how hard you worked and what kind of things it involved, e.g. 10 hour sessions in the library...

What did you get in first year, and what did you learn from the experience? E.g I learnt about EE that to do well in projects/exams you must...
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Can you describe how hard you worked and what kind of things it involved, e.g. 10 hour sessions in the library...

What did you get in first year, and what did you learn from the experience? E.g I learnt about EE that to do well in projects/exams you must...

sorry if ive not come across right, but ive only JUST finished my first year and my overall grade for it is 74%

I went into uni not knowing how to differentiate or integrate and not having done any physics since gcse.
firstly, first semester was a massive uphill battle, every night i did at least 3-4 hours of maths, ie, basic arithmetic, trig, partial fractions, differentiating, integrating, complex numbers, on top of another maybe 3 hours going through all my lecture notes, and then there was maybe a 1 or 2 more hours tackling some assignments for the week.. thats how much i was doing on most days.
It was very hard, and there a lot of times where i felt i was not smart enough to even be on the course.

I also learnt you need to be diligent with exams, dont slack on anything or leave things to chance, during exam periods i was doing at least 8/9 hours of studying per day, and thankfully it paid off.
The engineering projects are very fulfulling and at first you may feel a bit out of your depth but it all pieces together and you actually feel like youve accomplished something when youve done, you definitely learn A LOT from the projects ie team work, deadlines, communication etc
(edited 5 years ago)
sorry if ive not come across right, but ive only JUST finished my first year and my overall grade for it is 74%

I went into uni not knowing how to differentiate or integrate and not having done any physics since gcse.
firstly, first semester was a massive uphill battle, every night i did at least 3-4 hours of maths, ie, basic arithmetic, trig, partial fractions, differentiating, integrating, complex numbers, on top of another maybe 3 hours going through all my lecture notes, and then there was maybe a 1 or 2 more hours tackling some assignments for the week.. thats how much i was doing on most days.
It was very hard, and there a lot of times where i felt i was not smart enough to even be on the course.

I also learnt you need to be diligent with exams, dont slack on anything or leave things to change, during exam periods i was doing at least 8/9 hours of studying per day, the engineering projects are very fulfulling and at first you may feel a bit out of your depth but it all pieces together and you actually feel like youve accomplished something when youve done..

Sorry, I'm an idiot! I saw the title and got that impression but it was clearly stated in your post.

That's great advice and I'm glad the many hours of hard work paid off
damn, then the btec you did was probably a walk in the park for you if you've done all that in only the first year.
Reply 5
Original post by JDieMstr
damn, then the btec you did was probably a walk in the park for you if you've done all that in only the first year.

I wouldnt say so, some aspects of the BTEC were hard... but i certainly did not find it difficult.
I just feel people have this idea that you have to be some kind of einstein to succeed with engineering at university, but its more to do with how you apply yourself, put your absolute all and more into studying, even if your not the best at maths or physics, and you can certainly do well
Reply 6
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Sorry, I'm an idiot! I saw the title and got that impression but it was clearly stated in your post.

That's great advice and I'm glad the many hours of hard work paid off

Thank you, im still quite shocked i came out with the grade i did haha, i went into first year hoping i could scrape a 2:1
Reply 7
What uni do you go to?

I also learnt you need to be diligent with exams, dont slack on anything or leave things to chance, during exam periods i was doing at least 8/9 hours of studying per day, and thankfully it paid off.
The engineering projects are very fulfulling and at first you may feel a bit out of your depth but it all pieces together and you actually feel like youve accomplished something when youve done, you definitely learn A LOT from the projects ie team work, deadlines, communication etc

did you ever lose motivation? how did you bounce back if so?
Reply 9
Why does 'BTEC' sound like an insult?
How did you revise to achieve a first?
How did you get into a top 5 RG with your academic record?
Original post by ForestShadow
did you ever lose motivation? how did you bounce back if so?

I did quite a few times, and i bounced back by just getting on with it.. its easier said than done, but the best way to start work when your deflated is to just START and build steam slowly
Original post by AnonyNoddy
How did you get into a top 5 RG with your academic record?

a killer personal statement and trying to make a solid impression during the interview
Original post by Pew-die-pie.
How did you revise to achieve a first?

make a routine for revision, i did 12 hour revision days during revision period..
in regards to labs and like homework, i just tried to do my best and do them as soon as possible so if i have any mistakes i have a lot of time to rectify
We are looking forward to knowing what university you attend.
How well prepared for the degree did you find yourself compared to your peers who had done A-levels?
Original post by Pretzelite
How well prepared for the degree did you find yourself compared to your peers who had done A-levels?

not very prepared at all.. they already knew a lot of the physics and maths content already
Original post by random_matt
We are looking forward to knowing what university you attend.

for privacy reasons im not saying, if someone knew my university and my current username, they would easily be able to identify who i am
for privacy reasons im not saying, if someone knew my university and my current username, they would easily be able to identify who i am

Why would this be a bad thing? It's massively commendable and if this was someone that I knew, it'd only make me think higher of them

Quick Reply

Latest