The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

hello everyone!
i was just wondering...do frances gardner/ james lighthill/ john dodgson allow friends to stay over night?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Question for current UCLers ... do you know if UCL students in intercollegiate halls have any problems fitting in/making friends with other non-intercollegiate students? I quite like the look of the intercollegiate halls, but I'm concerned that I'd feel isolated from the rest of UCL as I don't think History students have a great deal of contact hours and idk how big the department is :colondollar:

Lizia
x

I'm quoting you because you always give good advice :o:
Reply 3982
Original post by Inner Poise
Question for current UCLers ... do you know if UCL students in intercollegiate halls have any problems fitting in/making friends with other non-intercollegiate students? I quite like the look of the intercollegiate halls, but I'm concerned that I'd feel isolated from the rest of UCL as I don't think History students have a great deal of contact hours and idk how big the department is :colondollar:

Thank you, it's nice to be appreciated! :biggrin: Well I don't actually know anyone who lives in an intercollegiate hall very well. Some people in my department do live in intercollegiates and seem to have lots of friends in the department, but we do have more hours than most history students. Most people do tend to make friends in their halls way before they do in their department, so I'd imagine even if you don't have friends in UCL, you won't exactly be lonely.. It might well be that intercollegiate halls still group students together by college, but I don't know :smile:
Original post by ASkarsgard
hello everyone!
i was just wondering...do frances gardner/ james lighthill/ john dodgson allow friends to stay over night?

I was in Langton Close (next to Frances Gardner) for a term and they have a 'signing in' book for guests. Except there's only staff onsite 8-5 so no one even used it. My boyfriend stayed in my room up to 3 times a week easily.
Original post by mgriff16
Can someone give me a rundown of langton close?

I suppose I just wondered what the area was like around it and also how the hall is itself. I've heard room sizes are pretty small?

Any information that could be provided would really be great. Thanks!

Love it. I was only there for a term, but it's beautiful. Rooms aren't that small, just a bit cold. Kitchens are pretty good - the common room is nice. Only bout a 15-25 minute walk from UCL depending on how fast you walk. Area is nice, it's RIGHT by a little park. Nearest supermarket is Waitrose. Lifts are temperamental (stuck in them twice). PM me if you wanna ask anything more :smile:

Hi, I thought maybe I could answer your question seeing as I study history (SSEES) at UCL and I'm in an intercollegiate hall.

I think because history has little contact hours, it's hard to make friends from your course no matter what hall you're in, be it a UCL one or an intercollegiate one. I've managed to make friends on my course though, we just arrange to meet up outside of lectures. There's also 3 people on my course who are in my hall, so I see them at meals too and I see them in my hall's library and we freak out about deadlines together, then go to dinner. It's nice.

Most of my friends in halls go to UCL, with the exception of 2 who go to SOAS and King's. So I don't feel isolated from UCL at all, as I only hang around with people from UCL in halls.
Reply 3986

I'm in an intercollegiate hall and most of my friends are from UCL...Definitely wouldn't say you're isolated from the rest of the uni especially if you join societies... Personally i've found it harder to make friends from other unis because I have a lot of contact hours so I only ever see people at dinner and because I moved in late to halls I'd already made friends with my coursemates so I'd go out with them instead... I have a couple friends from halls that go to Kings/Queen Mary but that's about it. But I doubt you'd have that problem doing History (Soo jealous of your 8 hours a week :colone:) .But then it might be harder to do all the reading you guys complain about when you know your friends are just a staircase away :tongue:
I do get jealous of my friends at James Lighthill though cause they have their own cluster room with UCL computers and stuff and all we get is a shoddy library :shifty:
However, my friend is in Nutford House which is a trek to UCL and in that sense it's harder to join societies when you know that if it's an evening practice that finishes at 9, you won't be home til nearly 10 :/ which sucks if you want to go out...
Any UCL students with experiences of living in Astor College or Schafer House ... how do these two compare? What are the people/social life like? Room sizes, bathrooms, kitchen facilities etc :smile: I can't really tell from the limited pitures. Thanks!
BryonieIV
x

Aah thanks, that's reassuring! :biggrin: How are you finding the course? I'm not doing SSEES, but I expect the workload is the similar? :smile: What halls are you in, and do you like it?

Smeh
x
Thanks, that was really helpful :u: what halls are you in? And which societies?

I am clearly obsessing too much over the accommodation form haha :rolleyes: sorry for all the questions!

Lizia
x
Helpful as ever, thank you :p:
I'm in my first year and I'm thinking of starting to look for a second-year accommodation. I don't mind sharing a bathroom and/or kitchen, but I want to be in a single-study room. Self-catered is fine as well and I would like to be within walking distance of UCL. Any advice from second-year students or above, please?
Reply 3990
A prospective undergrad comp sci speaking. What would be the best option considering that I'm looking for a self-catered, close proximity to the comp sci building (and also gym) and decent social opportunities.

I've decided that for the rest of the degree I'm going to move to my own flat, but it would nice to get to know people during first year so I will be staying in the halls for the first year.

Any suggestions?
Are the catered halls arranged in cluster flats? And do they have kitchens?

I'm unsure right now whether to go for catered or self-catered as well, if anybody has some general advice or recommendations on the matter then it would be most welcome :smile:

Mostly I'd be interested in somewhere that's fairly lively (I know it depends on who you're in with etc so this isn't THAT vital I guess but I'd like to know I'm headed somewhere reasonably sociable), close-ish to the uni (15 min walk is fine) and non-sharing rooms (need personal space). Hope I'm not asking for too much :colondollar: also how much choice do we get in the specific hall we stay in, is it quite random allocation or can you request a specific hall?

Sorry, so many questions!
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Are the catered halls arranged in cluster flats? And do they have kitchens?

I'm unsure right now whether to go for catered or self-catered as well, if anybody has some general advice or recommendations on the matter then it would be most welcome :smile:

Mostly I'd be interested in somewhere that's fairly lively (I know it depends on who you're in with etc so this isn't THAT vital I guess but I'd like to know I'm headed somewhere reasonably sociable), close-ish to the uni (15 min walk is fine) and non-sharing rooms (need personal space). Hope I'm not asking for too much :colondollar: also how much choice do we get in the specific hall we stay in, is it quite random allocation or can you request a specific hall?

Sorry, so many questions!

1. Genuinely depends on your hall. Some of them only have kitchenettes (kettle, toaster, microwave), but some do have ovens as well. And mostly yes they're in cluster flats OR biiig corridors with a lot of rooms on that corridor.

2. Schafer and Ramsay are reportedly the most lively, but like you said, depends on people there. Hardly any of the halls (especially catered) are further than 15 minutes from the uni. The Camden ones are, but I'm pretty sure they're self catered.

You can't request a specific hall, (except with intercollegiate), some people say if you write it on your form they do take it into consideration, but that's hearsay. I know I tried it and it didn't work for me haha!

Hope that was helpful!
Reply 3993
I'm thinking of Astor College right now, does anyone know what it's like? rooms, kitchen, bathroom, facilities etc?

Also, for the people at ucl already, what would you say is better, self-catered or catered? How much are you spending per week on food (excluding the additional costs of your halls)?

Thanks!!! My dad is keen on me going to catered halls because it's convenient plus perhaps cheaper than having to buy the food yourself. I still think it's more convenient to eat when you want to, and the people i've spoken to say it's cheaper and easier in self-catered places.
Original post by Dilzone
I'm thinking of Astor College right now, does anyone know what it's like? rooms, kitchen, bathroom, facilities etc?

Also, for the people at ucl already, what would you say is better, self-catered or catered? How much are you spending per week on food (excluding the additional costs of your halls)?

Thanks!!! My dad is keen on me going to catered halls because it's convenient plus perhaps cheaper than having to buy the food yourself. I still think it's more convenient to eat when you want to, and the people i've spoken to say it's cheaper and easier in self-catered places.

Astor college is OK. They've recently done up floors 4 and 5 (?) but the floors below that aren't in the best of condition. They have all the facilities you'd expect as well as a games room etc.

I haven't worked it out, but i'd say it's probably fairly similar in terms of price between catered and self catered.

I'd say Ramsay is the best hall, but i'm biased. :tongue:
Reply 3995
Whut are shared rooms? O.o
Reply 3996
Wait, so there's a chance you can end up sharing your bedroom with some random person? Do they allocate it so you're the same gender- and are the rooms set out for a bit of privacy?

Anyone on here done it; is it weird?

Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick.
Reply 3997
I've received an offer from UCL. How do I now apply for accommodation? Do I have to firm them on UCAS first or something? Thanks.
Original post by Robinjh
Wait, so there's a chance you can end up sharing your bedroom with some random person? Do they allocate it so you're the same gender- and are the rooms set out for a bit of privacy?

Anyone on here done it; is it weird?

Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick.

Yes, there is a possibility you'll be sharing a room with someone, but it will be with someone of the same gender. The rooms are often just rooms with two beds in. It tends to be cheaper. And to be honest, it often works out well- some people don't get on with their roommate, some get on really well.

You can opt out of this option on the form, but it's not as bad as it probably sounds and gives you a greater variety of halls.
Reply 3999
Sharing a room is fine. Read back through the thread or search my posts and I've written about it many times.

Latest

Trending

Trending