The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6420
Original post by jayy1994
ahhhh i see! tbh i just been thinking if i went catered what would i do for lunch like during the day at uni, cause i always eat at lunch lol. so ill end up spending more money on food :/ jheez i dont know whether im coming or going, thinking of self catered now! lol

Well I had this thought, but you can always grab a sandwich etc.... Which are quite cheap or prepare something for yourself at rhe small kitchenettes which they have in the halls. I think catered halls are worth the little but extra which you pay. You're only paying a couple of pound extra per day for 2 meals when you work it out- so you'll probably save money in the long run and it'll be healthier. I have heard it's a lot more social in first year going catered anyway :smile: good luck making a decision!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hi all!

I'm a postgraduate EU student who foolhardily decided to apply for accommodation at UCL's colleges & halls anyway, despite all that "strong discouragement". Before doing this, I did send UCL two emails asking whether or not it would be a waste of my time, which they completely neglected to answer, so I decided to go ahead anyway. As it happens the harm was minimal (it is a nicely painless process, don't you think? Once one finds the link, that is...), but now I'm panicking slightly because I didn't get the automatic "we've received your application for accommodation" email and am apparently insane.

Did anybody else not get the automated response? I keep checking my application and it says "pending", so I'm pretty sure it did go through. Then I start thinking that it's because I'm postgraduate EU, and that "we strongly advise you to seek accommodation in the private sector" = we're going to completely ignore your application for UCL accommodation. At the same time, I'm tossing up reserving a room at Elly House (anybody familiar with it?), and I wish I knew how long I have to wait for UCL to get back to me RE: accommodation, even if it's just with a negative.

Any ideas, hombres? I'd appreciate any input at all! :smile:
Original post by everworld2662
Hi all!

I'm a postgraduate EU student who foolhardily decided to apply for accommodation at UCL's colleges & halls anyway, despite all that "strong discouragement". Before doing this, I did send UCL two emails asking whether or not it would be a waste of my time, which they completely neglected to answer, so I decided to go ahead anyway. As it happens the harm was minimal (it is a nicely painless process, don't you think? Once one finds the link, that is...), but now I'm panicking slightly because I didn't get the automatic "we've received your application for accommodation" email and am apparently insane.

Did anybody else not get the automated response? I keep checking my application and it says "pending", so I'm pretty sure it did go through. Then I start thinking that it's because I'm postgraduate EU, and that "we strongly advise you to seek accommodation in the private sector" = we're going to completely ignore your application for UCL accommodation. At the same time, I'm tossing up reserving a room at Elly House (anybody familiar with it?), and I wish I knew how long I have to wait for UCL to get back to me RE: accommodation, even if it's just with a negative.

Any ideas, hombres? I'd appreciate any input at all! :smile:

Exactly the same here. I guess you shouldn't worry too much. I am not even sure they send any confirmations at all.
Original post by jayy1994
yeh i know that connaught have washbasins and ive heard that college hall non-ensuite rooms have them too (have to check that out tho)

yeah college hall non ensuite definitley have a sink in the room
Are the Halls allocated on a first come first served basis? I haven't 'firmed' UCL yet and haven't received any info about accommodation, but i guess that comes when I have sent a 'firm' through UCAS. I'm just a bit worried because I'm leaving it all so late that I won't be allocated any of the Halls i like the look of!
Anyone else in the same boat?
Reply 6425
Original post by jennyellen
Are the Halls allocated on a first come first served basis? I haven't 'firmed' UCL yet and haven't received any info about accommodation, but i guess that comes when I have sent a 'firm' through UCAS. I'm just a bit worried because I'm leaving it all so late that I won't be allocated any of the Halls i like the look of!

I don't think so, there are too many variables regarding preferences they have to take into account... And there aren't that many halls that are in universal demand or sth :smile:
Reply 6426
hi everyone, does anyone know if i need to do anything else when at the bottom of the accommodation application page it says it sent 6th march and then status: pending ??????
Reply 6427
Original post by fg23
hi everyone, does anyone know if i need to do anything else when at the bottom of the accommodation application page it says it sent 6th march and then status: pending ??????

No I don't think so. Mine still says pending and I sent it off about a month ago- I think it just means that you have sent in your application but UCL haven't processed it yet- they don't do this until late august apparently.
Can i apply for accomodation now even though ucl is my insurance? Also what are my chances of getting ucl accomodation considering this?
Original post by chelsea89
Can i apply for accomodation now even though ucl is my insurance? Also what are my chances of getting ucl accomodation considering this?

You can apply yes, I asked directly.

Might lower your chances though, don't think they will allocate you anything until they have given all the firmers their choices, then they will allocate the people who firm post results day.
Original post by jennyellen

i dont believe so, theyre allocated based on distance first i believe i believe its people on the far side of the m25 get the lions share followed by londoners and they dont bother deciding untill post results day so dont worry to much :smile:
Reply 6431
Do they not start allocating accommodation until August or do they do it now but don't tell you until then? Because I applied a couple of days ago and couldn't select halls as a preference, only student houses. This doesn't matter to me because I wanted to be in student houses anyway, but I was just wondering whether that meant they had already started handing some out...
I am doing my accomodation application now, and I have some questions. I want to choose a catered hall, but I can't be sure if the food is good quality. Is it? If I don't get a catered hall, are there cafes which are close to UCL and serve cheap and good quality meals? What are the disadvantages of Ramsay? I think it seems like it would be pretty cool to be there in my first year, but some people don't even consider it as a choice.
Reply 6433
Original post by gokhanider
I am doing my accomodation application now, and I have some questions. I want to choose a catered hall, but I can't be sure if the food is good quality. Is it? If I don't get a catered hall, are there cafes which are close to UCL and serve cheap and good quality meals? What are the disadvantages of Ramsay? I think it seems like it would be pretty cool to be there in my first year, but some people don't even consider it as a choice.

Most people say food is OK; I hated it (maybe cos Im not British - lots of potatoes and heavy stuff, although salmon was a tasty exception :smile:) In terms of fairly cheap meals, I recommend ULU - prices vary from 1.75 for a massive bowl of chips to 5-6 quid for burgers, seafood etc.

Ramsay is more cool then not :P The only con I can think of right now is the food and loooots of parties, if youre not really into that kind of entertainment :smile:
Accomodation results will be out in August, yes?
Reply 6435
Original post by elizabethT
Accomodation results will be out in August, yes?

if you've a conditional, after your A level results, so maybe 1st week of september/late august, yeah.
Reply 6436
Hi guys.
Can anyone who has done the application or who is still doing it help me a bit?
I have firm my choice like a mouth already. I thought they may send me a letter about the accommodation after me firming it.
Then i just notice that the offer letter said do it online.
So i go on online and i registered my email with my ucas number. The email registered is active according to their system.
But i still couldn't log on the application. And when i check my userid, it said its it has been generated yet.
It has already been a week now and i am now getting worry about it coz my friend who replied the accommodation form about 6th may last year couldn't get a place.
Do i still wait for the userid to generate or should i contact them now?
I've finally changed UCAS track and firmed UCL, any idea how long until I get my accommodation letter/pack etc? Is it sent by post or e-mail?
Reply 6438
Original post by Wish I Could Change This
I've finally changed UCAS track and firmed UCL, any idea how long until I get my accommodation letter/pack etc? Is it sent by post or e-mail?

in the post before yours

"I thought they may send me a letter about the accommodation after me firming it.
Then i just notice that the offer letter said do it online."

jesus.
Reply 6439
Hi, I have been looking at the thread and can see the Ramsay is meant to be the most sociable hall but I'm not sure if I want to go catered. Is there any really sociable self catered accommodation i.e hall parties etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending