The Student Room Group

Driving licence

Hi guys
I have got my driving test in a few days and hopefully if i pass, is there a way for me to get my licence any earlier as i am going abroad and will need a licence to drive. Can i pay extra or something to get the licence any earlier?
Original post by Dragon face
Hi guys
I have got my driving test in a few days and hopefully if i pass, is there a way for me to get my licence any earlier as i am going abroad and will need a licence to drive. Can i pay extra or something to get the licence any earlier?

Nope. You'll have to wait just like everyone else. As this is also one of the busiest times of year for them, you'll be lucky to have it arrive in anything under 4 weeks.
Reply 2
There's no fast track service for driving licences unfortunately. You'll have to wait the 2-3 weeks for it to come same as everyone else does, I don't think there's any way around it.
You can use certificate until license arrives. That's why I did
Reply 4
Original post by Boss987
You can use certificate until license arrives. That's why I did

That only works in the UK, driving abroad is not possible without a photocard licence.
Original post by Dez
That only works in the UK, driving abroad is not possible without a photocard licence.

well you could get a temporary license by showing this certificate
Reply 6
Original post by Boss987
well you could get a temporary license by showing this certificate

There's no such thing as a temporary driving licence in the UK.
Original post by Dez

abroad there is. In some countries
Doubt they would accept UK papers though, and you wouldn't be on DVLA's database as passed likely.

As others said, I think you're stuck waiting for it, if it's any optimism I got mine in the post in 8 days odd but may just have been lucky.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Dez

True, but there is an International Driving Permit which is required or recommended in most countries - OP should be able to obtain one of these using the pass test certificate as evidence.

I believe the OP would need to retain their provisional photocard licence for the IDP application, and send it off to the DVLA once they have their permit, rather than letting the examiner send it off for them.

Emphasis on the word should, as I haven't tested this before, but the Post Office advice seems to back up what I'm saying - see: https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

"If you've just passed your test but haven't received your full UK driving licence yet, you're still allowed to apply for an IDP. All you need to do is provide your original provisional licence and your test pass certificate."
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi guys

I don't endorse driving in another country directly after passing your driving test, especially given that you'll likely be on the other side of the road and relatively inexperienced to say the least.

If you absolutely insist on carrying on, see my above reply regarding International Driving Permits. As always, make sure you have valid insurance to drive in the country you're visiting, and remember that it's often not possible for you to be able to drive a hire car so soon after passing, especially in a foreign country.
Original post by IWMTom
I don't endorse driving in another country directly after passing your driving test, especially given that you'll likely be on the other side of the road and relatively inexperienced to say the least.

The inexperience is worse than driving on the wrong side of the road. Taken two trips to France now (don't worry, my insurers and finance company knew about them, and I live in London so fortunately it doesn't hit the mileage too hard either!) and driving on the right was easy although granted I have around 800 hours in Eurotruck lol. It was more just the different way people drive there, if anyone thinks driving in the UK can be bad - it is nothing compared to how people drive in the mainland and he won't have the reaction times/experience to deal with those clowns yet. After 8 months I can barely deal with London drivers' stupidity.

Although driving on the wrong side of the road isn't too bad, it's the fact everything else is in opposites, like giving way to the left, having to look both ways to turn left etc. First time I went I nearly caused an accident coming out of one of these weird motorway exit roads onto a roundabout, and then started to turn left, then about an hour later turned right, but forgot I was giving way to the left and only looked right lol. French is a lovely language to be sworn at in. Dunno what level of genius I thought I was being looking at the exact same direction I was driving towards.

Undertaking when you think you're overtaking is also another fun one.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks for all the replys everyone. Also i have experience on the road and on other countries but im just going to go into my test. I have got quite some experience on driving i reckon but im going to turkey and its going to be the quite sides so there wont be much traffic. Its just that i dont want to get stopped by the police and get fined even though i have passed my driving test.
Reply 13
Thanks for all the replys everyone. Also i have experience on the road and on other countries but im just going to go into my test. I have got quite some experience on driving i reckon but im going to turkey and its going to be the quite sides so there wont be much traffic. Its just that i dont want to get stopped by the police and get fined even though i have passed my driving test.

How have you gained experience driving in other countries without a driving licence?

You need an IDP regardless to drive in Turkey.
Oh ok i used to drive before but dont have my licence now and i am in england for 3 days after the test. Can i still drive by showing the idp if i dont have my licence on me and can the licence be delivered to turkey.
Reply 15
Oh ok i used to drive before but dont have my licence now and i am in england for 3 days after the test. Can i still drive by showing the idp if i dont have my licence on me and can the licence be delivered to turkey.

Why would you have it delivered to Turkey... what are your circumstances? Where are you a citizen?
i am british but am originated from turkey so im going to be there for quite a while
Reply 17
i am british but am originated from turkey so im going to be there for quite a while

Define quite a while...
Sorry i didnt understand what did you mean

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending